Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High RPM Big Motor Guys, What Oiling System?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2005, 07:13 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thumbs up

That sounds good but it still does not stop you from foaming your oil and thats the problem mostly. Maybe someone will make a big pan to hold more in the bottom but right now I still haven't seen any that seem that good. Even with an external wet sump these engines don't last long over 8000 unless its only sporadic drag racing use. There's a reason all the endurance and circle track guys go dry sump on the LS1 even though they don't have to on a regular SBC or SBF. Even on the ASA LS1 engines they couldn't make it work with the wet sump and they don't even turn that high an rpm. With the Dry sump of course they can work with no problems.
Old 08-23-2005, 07:45 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

90psi??? Why??? Everything I've learned about oil systems (from SBC oval track racing) is that you want 5-6 gal/min. 40-50 psi is common to accomplish this. On leading dry sump systems people are moving to really small pressure sections (.8" or less) with really big scavenge sections (1.75 or more). And some scavenge sections with fewer rotor designs to optimize moving air.

LME's mods,which seem to reduce resistance in the oil system, would presumably use a lower pressure than a stock system.

No this experience is on cast iron...and each engine measures the oil pressure at a different point. But still, 90psi?
Old 08-23-2005, 07:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by racer7088
That sounds good but it still does not stop you from foaming your oil and thats the problem mostly. Maybe someone will make a big pan to hold more in the bottom but right now I still haven't seen any that seem that good. Even with an external wet sump these engines don't last long over 8000 unless its only sporadic drag racing use. There's a reason all the endurance and circle track guys go dry sump on the LS1 even though they don't have to on a regular SBC or SBF. Even on the ASA LS1 engines they couldn't make it work with the wet sump and they don't even turn that high an rpm. With the Dry sump of course they can work with no problems.
Thanks for the insight Erik, we'll talk more about this when I give ya a call about the heads.
Old 08-23-2005, 08:14 PM
Teching In

Bryan, if i were to send you my block (having it built by a local builder) could you do the machine work and send it back with all the filger regulator fittings etc with instructions on how to get it all done. thanks
Old 08-23-2005, 08:14 PM
TECH Resident

So is the stock LS6 oil system safe to 7500 rpm for limited use (non road racing)?
Old 08-23-2005, 09:06 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Wet 1
So is the stock LS6 oil system safe to 7500 rpm for limited use (non road racing)?
Sure as many many of us turn the engine up there or even higher for drag race usage. Now 8000+ isn't totally uncommon and things are harder and 8500+ and up there just simply aren't many people on here that can do that. Road racing and endurance racing the LS1 engine is much harder.

Our drag race LS1 engine at SAM makes power up there but almost none of this other stuff does. You're talking big cam high compression sheet metal territory. If you are pulling up there at 400 inches you are making the power to go 145-155 in the quarter on motor alone and I think we all know that that is not where too many guys are at right now. It's way easier with a smaller say 346 incher but still you need the right intakes to make power up there and you are also talking real valvetrains and ti valves and such usually.
Old 08-23-2005, 09:34 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by DAPSUPRSLO
I saw that pump as was very interested. Do you have to use there timing cover with that pump?
Yes, because the pump is larger.
Old 08-23-2005, 11:27 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by kellyray
Bryan, if i were to send you my block (having it built by a local builder) could you do the machine work and send it back with all the filger regulator fittings etc with instructions on how to get it all done. thanks

Yes. That would be no problem. Give me a call and we can set you up.

Thanks,
Bryan
713-849-4505
Old 08-24-2005, 06:12 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by racer7088
You're talking big cam high compression sheet metal territory. If you are pulling up there at 400 inches you are making the power to go 145-155 in the quarter on motor alone and I think we all know that that is not where too many guys are at right now. It's way easier with a smaller say 346 incher but still you need the right intakes to make power up there and you are also talking real valvetrains and ti valves and such usually.
I'm talking over 400 ci with a solid valvetrain and forced induction.