Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cooling system capacity?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2005, 12:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cooling system capacity?

QUESTION: What is the cooling system capacity for the 1999 F-body?

I just pulled the raditor, crank pully and front cover to check the cam walk, etc.. When I re-installed the raditor, I filled it with two plastic bottles of red antifreeeze, ran the engine with the raditor cover off until the engine was fully warm, then I replaced the cap and took the car out for a drive.

On the second stop later that morning, the car overheated. I stopped the car and put in about 1.5 gallons of water to get it home so I could check the cooling system over again for leaks, etc..

The only piculuar thing I found was that the overflow tank was filled but the system was low - about 1/2 gallon. I'm assuming the tube from the tank to the raditor is blocked or kinked.

I have since driven the car about 40 miles on several short trips with no issues.

There are no signs that the head gaskets are blown... and there are no leaks...
Old 08-22-2005, 01:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like you have air in the system. Same thing happened to me.
I had to go back and and fix the o-ring in the oil pump. Put it all back together and drove down the block and overheated.

Pull the hose off the coolant line coming from the driver's side of the motor that runs into the throttle body (or into the radiator if you've done the TB bypass) Pour in coolant/water ito the radiator until coolant starts to come out of the line you just unplugged. Reconnect the hose and start the motor, fill as needed.

Hope this helps.

Luke

Quick Reply: Cooling system capacity?