Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me make my final decision on my heads

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2005, 04:30 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe there are several good choices and you can't really go wrong with a quality.

However, in my Honest opinion, I think the problem may be bigger than simply which actual head is best, which you mentioned you wouldn't like to turn this into. Indeed porting work done for heads in the past has left many variables on the table. But, the bigger issue is, does it still happen? Or should it have happened in the first place?

This is not the first time! Very recently in fact, I recall a good question like this; if you remember there were a few 'unoffocial' tuners who patted themselves on the head for awesome head work. Then, when the results trickled it, it wasn't conclusive at all as to what they were up to. Not very professional in my opinion. :headshake:

I'm not referring to ANY of the heads here today in particular, as today's products in general has progressed quite a bit farther than what it used to be. No more slacking info or slandering quibbles on fiction. They are not just propoganda and have plenty of support to back up their claims, as they should...I'm just speaking hypothetically if you will...

Alternatively, now we have excellent (relatively speaking, anyways) support from sponsers who have quantitative data on flow numbers, compression ratio, etc, that it is becoming easier to make a solid decision, and not be stuck with the 'damned if you do, damned if you don't' moniker.

I plan to follow up with some additional questions as I can, since with my problems recently I'm thinking about heads on my car and how to best leverage a small budget. I don't want to waste money if I can avoid it, but I'm not poor either; however, with my heads off right now this is the perfect opportunity to get some additional information on the bigger picture, without having to go back after the fact and try to add something that might not fit as properly.

I don't mean to make a big deal about nothing, and perhaps, this is not the best example to allude to. However what can be done to better understand the difference in other aspects of a purchase, not just performance. Because if it's performance we're all after, well then, that might change the scope of the whole thing. And then this may be a moot point after all.
Old 08-23-2005, 04:47 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nittany_marine
I am torn between three different heads. I am trying to take into consideration the price vs. performance comparison, and whether or not I would definitely have to flycut the pistons. I wont be milling any of these heads. I am running a G5X3 cam on a 114 LSA. Take that into consideration.

1. Patriot Stage 2 5.3 heads. (great price,mixed reviews, not sure about flycutting)

2. PRC Stage 2 5.3 heads (medium price, havent heard many reviews,not sure about flycutting)

3. AFR 205's (Highest priced, consistent great reviews, told by LG that no flycutting is needed if heads arent milled.)

-I am also wondering if any of these heads come with any hardware, or gaskets.....anyone know? If any sponsors could help too, that would be great. Thanks!

Edit: I've been using the search function a lot. I know we dont need yet another "Which head is best" thread.

Nittany, there are many oponions but the simple fact is that TEA PRC and AFR are all top porters. PP is more of a budget head and even though the TEA's and PRC's aren't much more their main goal is performance without costing you your arm's vs PP heads which main goals is budget with added performance. IMO there is a bigger difference in power from the PP to the TEA then the TEA's to the AFR's. I cant speak for PRC as I haven't used a set before, but I can speak for the other 3.
Also the cam you have chosen leaves you little room for P/V clearence.
I wouldn't guess the TEA's or PRC's would clear without flycuting. If LG says the AFR's will work then I would go that route. PP heads should clear as well as they dont mill their heads at all. The 5.3's from GM have the least P/V clearence stock and after a valve job and NO MILLING I wouldn't be sure they would clear for that reason.
Also the ET performance heads look very nice on paper.
They are priced similar to the AFR's and have "on paper" some nice advantages. The AFR's are proven however and you know what your buying when you get a set.

First thing I would do is check with PRC/TEA/PP and AFR and see if that cam will work with their heads.
Lets say the cam clears with all 4 choices.
The TEA's PRC's and PP will all offer added compression vs the AFR's which is a solid advantage. Compression makes power.
From what I feel the TEA's will make very similar power and maybe even more then the AFR's with the added compression. Until someone shows me a 20 HP difference between the 2 heads out of the box I will be the first to call BS on that claim. (I guess 2nd to call BS as PRC already did)
Anyways just adding some additional info that hasn't been brought up with the compression issue.
Old 08-23-2005, 04:54 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

BTW the TEA's/PRC's will yeild about 11.05:1 without milling while the AFR's will yeild 10.4 both using a .054 gasket.
The theory is a 4% gain can be found in every point of compression.
In this case you are only .65 more which is about a 2.7% increase.
If your making 450 flywheel HP and you add 2.7% you gain just over 12 HP.
Not a huge difference but a nice gain.
Old 08-23-2005, 10:15 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by USMARINE1108
I was in the same exact debate as you. But then, Chesty Puller and Carlos Hathcock came to me in a dream one night and told me to go with Absolute Speed 5.3 heads, since no flycutting is required with my cam choice. That was the deciding factor for me. Plus, They flow very well and I got an outstanding deal on them.

Sgt Rindt S/F
I laughed out loud, when I saw that....lol Only a Marine would get that type of humor.

After a lot of thinking, I decided to go with a set of AFR 205's. They should be here by Friday. I cant wait to see em. I'll take and post some good pics, in case others have my dilemna as well. Thanks for all of the input, everyone!
Old 08-23-2005, 10:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

TEA 1.5's, since you already have springs you can order them without the spring kit for around 1300.00 even. They are only flat milled when leaving TEA unless you specify more milling. at .600 lift I have seen them out flow the AFR 205 by 16 cfm! and flow with the 205 in the midlift. If the new AFR 225 head doesn't loose flow gloing to the smaller chamber (hard to believe it won't) It may be another good way to go.
Old 08-23-2005, 11:27 PM
TECH Resident

And if this decision was about flow I guess there was enough info! This is a street driven car. Fuel economy, throttle response are also important.

In is in those areas that the AFR 205s probably have a significant edge. In raw flow and even drag strip results, at this time, I don't recall any spectacular AFR results. In fact there have been several threads on this and other forums to that affect. I remember one between Tony @ AFR and Julio @ Cartek in particular.

In this app though, the AFRs make the most sense IMHO.

As to cost...once you've spent the time and/or dollars on the install, the extra $1k or so is probably not the big issue.
Old 08-24-2005, 03:39 AM
TECH Addict

Thanks for the input. I see you are running PP heads. How do you like them?

they are so so I guess okay for my set up.I see you made up your mind on the AFRs.good choice man.good luck.
Old 08-24-2005, 11:58 AM
Launching!

After a lot of thinking, I decided to go with a set of AFR 205's. They should be here by Friday.
If you ordered them from the same place as me, I bet you dont get them until late next week
Mine were promised Friday last week, they were sent out on Thrusday.
Old 08-24-2005, 01:07 PM
11 Second Club

I ordered them from Thunder Racing, and they had them in stock, and they are already shipped out. I even got my tracking number. Woo hoo!
Old 08-24-2005, 08:44 PM
TECH Resident

The specs were never released to the public. I will check out the TEA's too. Thanks.

Anyone know if the TEA's are milled from the manufacturer? Thanks for posting!
They can be if you want them that way. Either way you should ALWAYS check p/v clearance to be on the safe side. All you need is a little float at high rpms to be kicking yourself in the butt forever.

I have the TEA 5.3 stage 1.5 with F13 cam (.585 lift) and I had to rework the valves to be on the safe side on p/v/ clearance. Not a big deal, but in this case, more time is money. Time for the install that is. Double check everything first.
Old 08-25-2005, 11:28 AM
11 Second Club

Thanks for allof the help guys!
Old 08-25-2005, 08:43 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by equandt
I think it depends on what your goals are.

If you want to spare no expense and have the ultimate performing machine, the AFR's are the way to go.

If you are looking at having a nice respectable street car or bracket racer I would look at the PRC or PP heads. I've been impressed with the comments on the PRC heads (so impressed I ordered a set). I'm still skiddish about the PP quality/reliability, but PP seems to be doing all the right things to make a solid/reliable product. PP continues to win the price wars.

Once you have your goals defined, call each of these manufacturers and talk with them about their products and how they compare to each other. You might even call a sponsor or two to see how they compare. TSP sells both AFR and PRC heads. Speed Inc sells both AFR and PP heads. All of these sponors are great to deal with.

Good luck.
TSP is no longer an AFR dealer and hasnt been for weeks.
Old 08-26-2005, 05:14 AM
11 Second Club

Went with the AFR 205's. Should be here today, according to UPS.

Thanks for the help, folks.
Old 08-26-2005, 08:16 AM
Banned

We do mill our heads after they are finished usually .005 just to make sure they are smooth and flat. We can mill them to whatever Chamber volume you like! I have 5.3 1.5 heads finished that can ship within 1-2 days of ordering.
Mike

Anyone know if the TEA's are milled from the manufacturer? Thanks for posting![/QUOTE]
Old 08-26-2005, 08:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Went with the AFR 205's. Should be here today, according to UPS.

Thanks for the help, folks.

You will not be let down.... when are you putting it all together???

Old 08-26-2005, 11:24 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by jrp
TSP is no longer an AFR dealer and hasnt been for weeks.
I think I remember hearing something about that. I bet they could still comment on the AFR head...maybe a little biased now.
Old 08-26-2005, 12:05 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SideStep
You will not be let down.... when are you putting it all together???

Within the next 3 weeks. Wish me luck!