Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant leak after head/cam swap

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2005, 12:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant leak after head/cam swap

heads/cam swap complete ... everything back together ... started up car, oil pressure perfect, car held idle after holdin the gas down for a little ... but then saw coolant leaking from what i believe to be the coolant pipe that goes under the intake manifold ... re-tightened and still leaking ... it's either from that or the head bolt right next to it, can't tell ... but the coolant pipe can't be tightened anymore and it's leaking from the same place on both sides, so it makes me think it is the coolant pipe ... anyone have any suggestions?
Old 08-29-2005, 01:07 AM
TECH Addict

Are you talking about that crossover pipe that goes from head to head?

You might try taking it off, making sure the surfaces are clean and reinstallingit - if that doesn't work you may put a touch of high temp silicone on it and install again.
Old 08-29-2005, 01:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

yes that is what i'm talkin bout ... i tired tighten it up more and it still leaks ... intake will be comin off ... but i don't know how to make them stop leaking
Old 08-29-2005, 01:37 AM
TECH Addict

Do what I said and make sure the surfaces are clean first of all, and if they are try a touch of HTS.

But do not over tighten the bolts, its not necessary.
Old 08-29-2005, 06:46 AM
FormerVendor

you may have lost the small o-ring style gasket,I have used silicone in a pinch with no problems
Old 08-29-2005, 02:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

so there is a o-ring/gasket on the coolant pipe??? ... i didn't use any!!!!! ... i hope that's the problem cause there is no way those bolts could be tightened anymore, especially since the instructions say to only torque to 9ftlbs.

btw, heads were just freshened up so the surface was clean ... so other than there was a gasket i missed on there i have no clue what could cause this.

anyone know for sure if there is a o-ring/gasket on the coolant pipe under the intake for a 98 ls1.

thanks.
Old 08-29-2005, 03:00 PM
pdd
TECH Veteran

get a new oring metal washer. i had the same issue. you might have nicked the old one. i put on a new one and solved the problem

Quick Reply: Coolant leak after head/cam swap