Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Piston slap explaination by GM Engineer

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2005, 03:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some dealers have definitely tried to shaft customers on warranty work, but as far as GM lacking support of the piston slap issue, I have to side with the General -- its NOT a problem! Piston slap is an irritant for a noisy few people, versus the vastly larger number of people who are content or happy with their engines. Funny - the people who want their motors to be silent are the ones making a ton of noise themselves

If the piston slap caused any premature wear or failures, I'd be all up in GM's business about it. I accept the noise as a part of the design, knowing that to squelch it I would be compromising several benefits of the platform. The plusses GREATLY outweigh the negatives. If you want quiet, get something that's designed to be quiet.
Old 08-30-2005, 03:56 PM
Launching!

and
Originally Posted by Brains
Some dealers have definitely tried to shaft customers on warranty work, but as far as GM lacking support of the piston slap issue, I have to side with the General -- its NOT a problem! Piston slap is an irritant for a noisy few people, versus the vastly larger number of people who are content or happy with their engines. Funny - the people who want their motors to be silent are the ones making a ton of noise themselves

If the piston slap caused any premature wear or failures, I'd be all up in GM's business about it. I accept the noise as a part of the design, knowing that to squelch it I would be compromising several benefits of the platform. The plusses GREATLY outweigh the negatives. If you want quiet, get something that's designed to be quiet.
Old 08-30-2005, 04:33 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh I HIGHLY doubt GM is selling cars for less than it cost to make them...

Piston slap? Eh, my car runs just fine with it. Just the name of the game. Still waiting on my oil analysis to see if my engine is falling apart...should be here in a couple of days.
Old 08-30-2005, 05:51 PM
TECH Resident

Ask an 03/04 Cobra owner who knows their stuff about piston to wall clearances. These motors will wear on the cylinder walls under a 0-150 or top speed run on a hot day or too many back to back runs on the street with a modded LS1 to find out who's faster. Once these cars start accumulating the miles, I wouldn't be surprised if they start losing compression from worn, scratched cylinder walls. LS1's and LT1's on the other hand, are known to still have visible cross hatch on the walls past 100k miles with perfect compression.

I used to hate the cold slap my car has, but knowing what I know now, I'll take a loose design, especially with forged pistons.

Jason
Old 08-30-2005, 06:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Camaro99SS
LS1's and LT1's on the other hand, are known to still have visible cross hatch on the walls past 100k miles with perfect compression.
Jason
Heck, not just visible -- obvious would be the word They truly look damned near new after 100k.

Quick Reply: Piston slap explaination by GM Engineer