Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mix Parts or Kits- Stroker Assemblies

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2005, 12:54 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mix Parts or Kits- Stroker Assemblies

I was looking at lunatis stroker assemblies for about 3600 bucks. (408). I have never heard anything about lunati pistons though. Just that they have good cranks and rods. Do most of you guys mix your assemblies I.E Mahle pistons, lunati crank, eagle rods.... Or do you just get it done with like an Eagle/lunati kit where the make all 3 major componets. I have an LQ4 block ready to go and its calling for a nice 408. Is 3600 kinda steep for a rotating assembly that is not going to see over 700hp?

Your thoughts....
Old 08-30-2005, 01:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would like to know this too. I am looking to do a mixed assembly but am not sure If I am getting into trouble with tolerances between differeing brand parts, even though you'd think they should all be the same. I plan on Eagle crank, Eagle rods, Diamond pistons. Not a total mix-up. I think the Eagle kits come with JE pistons anyways.
Old 08-30-2005, 01:12 AM
11 Second Club

When i had mine done it was decided to use mixed parts its really a matter of what you want. i had my motor done at HPE and erik theer engine builder has preferances on certain parts he likes and dosnt like. he likes using a mixed assy. as far as i know. but my motor runs strong no issues with it i have almost 9k miles on it now and its been maybe 4 month snow sence i got it in just call up a shop and ask them what they sugest for your application this is what i did and it actualy came out cheeper to have someone do it for me so you might want to check into it just my 2cents
Old 08-30-2005, 01:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's all in preference. If you want to shell out the extra money for a Lunati crank and rods, then that's your call. In terms of it making a difference on a motor running 700 or less hp, it most likely won't. Let's not forget, Eagle cranks/rods, even though they're not the top dog of the market, are still a vast improvement over stock (which can already handle a decent amount of hp). A lot of people actually go with Eagle cranks/Scat rods if you want to play it a bit safer on high HP engines. But, all in all, it's in your preference. Some people find comfort in knowing they have built their engine with complete overkill. Neither is necessarily right or wrong.
Old 08-30-2005, 11:50 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ArcticZ28
It's all in preference. If you want to shell out the extra money for a Lunati crank and rods, then that's your call. In terms of it making a difference on a motor running 700 or less hp, it most likely won't. Let's not forget, Eagle cranks/rods, even though they're not the top dog of the market, are still a vast improvement over stock (which can already handle a decent amount of hp). A lot of people actually go with Eagle cranks/Scat rods if you want to play it a bit safer on high HP engines. But, all in all, it's in your preference. Some people find comfort in knowing they have built their engine with complete overkill. Neither is necessarily right or wrong.

You hit some good points there and it is truely all about preferance
Old 08-30-2005, 02:48 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
I would like to know this too. I am looking to do a mixed assembly but am not sure If I am getting into trouble with tolerances between differeing brand parts, even though you'd think they should all be the same. I plan on Eagle crank, Eagle rods, Diamond pistons. Not a total mix-up. I think the Eagle kits come with JE pistons anyways.
Thanks for the nice words from some of you guys.

It is true that some of these parts do not work so well together and some do. It depends on a lot of stuff. We have several kits that work great and work together depending on th crank and the rods and the pistons used. Some of these parts will not clear others if you do not get the right ones.