Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why did my Z06 dyno so low? Lots of mods, low numbers

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2005, 01:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I planned on upgrading to a 408 later, but i dont have the motivation now with the dissappointing results. I wanted my mods to last throuh all the mods, nitrous, stroker, and things of that nature so i bought resonable parts for them. It still should work on a 346 though. It should be alot higher IMO.
Old 09-05-2005, 01:34 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What did It make stock, and what thickness headgaskets are on it?
Old 09-05-2005, 01:47 PM
TECH Addict

He didnt dyno it stock. Head gaskets are stock thickness he says, whatever that is.
Old 09-05-2005, 03:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Put some cutouts in front of those mufflers. The FAST 90/90 will also make a difference, but it's a more expensive option compared to some cutouts.
Old 09-05-2005, 04:10 PM
TECH Addict

Well i drove it around for 2 weeks without muffelrs and noticed no difference after we put the mufflers on so i dont think they are a restriction. They are straight through mufflers like bullets but more of a GMMG style. The car sounds the same, just a tiny bit quiet with them on. Also im not doing the Fast stuff until this car gets fixed. If it can't make more power with the setup then i am not going to waste more money on it.
Old 09-05-2005, 04:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

You could raise your SCR with some thinner gaskets PTV allowing. This will also improve your quench. Also lean it more for a 12.8>13.0:1 AFR while raising timing till no more power is made then reduce it another 1*. What is the advance ground in the cam?
Old 09-05-2005, 04:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Shawn MacAnanny
So are these typical numbers for your cam Chuck? If i switched over to the Trex like i had orgionally wanted, would i see a 50rwhp gain? BTW Chuck you tuned this car for Fran Schatz of Clayton, Delaware (My mechanic). I believe be said he even called you after the dyno run and asked you why thse numbers were so low, you said thats normal without a 90/90 so is it because of your cam?
Nope, not typical at all. I almost always get at least that much power just from the cam by itself. Some cars are just different though, you can't always expect the best. My CTS-V dyno'd at 304 stock with an LS6. So without baseline numbers it's hard to know how much you gained and how "bad" your setup really is.

Switching cams is not going to yield much for results... Definitely no where even remotely close to 50 rwhp. We designed the S cam with a stock shortblock in mind. That cams out there winning races, so whoever tries to tell you differently you just need to stop listening to them!

For example. When you race somebody with your car, what's the lowest RPM you ever see in your ZO6 after 1st gear? Something like 5k rpm right? Ok, so do we really care what the car makes under 5k rpm? No, but still the cam does good below that, just trying to state a point. You know that power up top when you pull on somebody because their using a smaller cam on a tighter LSA because they wanted more torque down low? Well that's what the S cam is all about. Winnin races. I heard a story about how your car kept up with a car that had 580 rwhp? They only put 1 car length on you? Well if you ask me, it doesn't sound like your car is doing all that bad. Gotta keep in mind that possibly this dyno you guys went to reads a little lower than most.

I know for a fact that if I was there right now I could pull 430 out of it without doing anything but porting the tb, and tweaking on the tune. So all things considered, your numbers aren't all THAT bad, just not completely optimized.

With a free'd up intake and exhaust I think the car would put down around 450-460 rwhp fully optimized. You'll just have to get with your mechanic on that, and I'll take care of you on the tuning.

Chuck
Old 09-05-2005, 08:00 PM
Staging Lane

what kind of dyno was this on? if it was a mustang dyno, there is the reason for the lower numbers. i have a friend that dynoed his formula on a mustang dyno and it only pulled 330, but he runs low low 11's...you do the math
Old 09-05-2005, 08:09 PM
10 Second Club

#'s do seem a little low even with the ls6 intake. i made 434hp 390tq(mustang dyno) stock th-body,stock mass air,stock 28.8 injestors and a ls6 intake,m6 car 01 ws6 ta.i have the afr 205's and if your heads really flow 309 thats more then the afr 205's are doing.
Old 09-05-2005, 08:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Didn't read everyones comments but based upon your graph, I'd say your tuning will give you another 10-15 rwhp. You could have too much timing and your fueling is rich on the big end.
Old 09-05-2005, 08:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Shawn,

Dont throw in the towel. I bet it is something you are over looking. Like others said, you are down on power.

Your mail order puter tune can be way off. Not everyone gets 450 out of their motors. It looks like you are trying hard to get it though.

Go back over the basics.. Always a good place to start!!

JMHO
Old 09-05-2005, 10:21 PM
TECH Addict

Lol im not sure about the 580rwhp race story. I am setup for a race against an R6 here shortly and from a 50mph i did gain 4 cars and pass an 01 Viper GTS on your mail order tune so it's not running bad or anything, i just dont think it's at it's full potential. I wish Fran had dynoed it before so we could see how much it gained. It does sound awesome. I really dont think the mufflers are restricting at all. The are straight through mufflers, kind of like GMMG. They look like a reversed glasspack with no glass packing.

The car was dynoed on a Dynojet. I have no problem with low end power, but i am thinking there could be more top end. I ran a full 0-1 mile run tonight. At the end of the mile my speed was 170mph which isnt too bad. The Ford GT is at 171 according to R&T so im sure how i should take that. I think it should do better so i figure is some stuff to work out. I dont think they messed with your tune too much Chuck, so i'm not sure what happened with that. They didnt make a pull before they messed with it either so who knows.
Old 09-05-2005, 10:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, the tune is fine. There's probably 5 or 10 more by leaning it out assuming it doesn't detonate. But your a/f looks pretty good. And I've got the timing set where and how I like it. If you want, I can come up there and tune it for you. I normally charge 1000 for on site tuning, but since Frans a buddy of mine, I'll hook you up. Just let me know...

Chuck
Old 09-05-2005, 11:24 PM
Banned

Biggest problem IMO is compression. Maybe you ran this combo with stock pistons and didn't want to flycut. Pull the heads, mill them 30 thousands, run a .045 gasket, port the TB retune and add 25-30 HP.
Your power is low.
I guantree running 11.3-11.5 will make a hell of a difference.
Old 09-05-2005, 11:45 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SideStep
Shawn,

The TRex would make more TQ based on the tighter LSA/ICL, but needs to be spun higher and is a nasty beast on idle (or to get to idle), also it does not like cats, I am not sure if you are using them.

To be honest with you, your current mods look more like a big cubic inch package compared to a 346 system. You can get away with wider LSAs and big runner volumes on bigger displacement motors. Strokers and big inch engines inherently have more TQ down low and you can bias your mods to help it breath up high in the rpm range and not hurt the bottom end. Unfortunately, this does not work on small displacement engines that need port velocity, high DCR, and good quench to build low-end power.

I know you don't want to hear this but it would probably ROCK!!! on a 382/402/408...

I tend to agree with the above post. Those are some pretty big intake runners on a relatively small engine without a lot of compression and with a cam with a good bit of duration. I once screwed up a set of heads by really opening up the intake side of them and got good results on the flowbench but they didn't make my car go any faster. I fed my numbers and combo to a good cam grinder and received a cam with about 10 degrees less duration and about .050 more lift with 106 lobe centers. My car went from 10 teens to a solid 9.8-9.90 car with only the cam change. I don't think my car was previously over cammed either. The cam just didn't work well with my slow flowing heads. Not saying your car needs only a cam change but I think it's the overall combo. I think I'd live with it though knowing I was gonna add more cubes in future.
Old 09-05-2005, 11:45 PM
On The Tree

hrm
with a 224/224 114 on my 2001 Z06 with just cam, headers, high flow cats, and vararam I put down 393 with conservative tune.
Old 09-06-2005, 03:56 AM
TECH Regular

yo Shawn dude i saw your car first hand man and that thing is sick lol i am always at frans shop he's a buddy of mine and those injectors for $300 are mine Frans gonna do my 408 + T72 Turbo build in my car late september dude we should meet up some time man i am always in the mood to hear that thing man i almost nutted myself when Fran fired it up lol shoot me a PM.
Old 09-06-2005, 04:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you check fuel pressure?
Old 09-06-2005, 06:36 AM
On The Tree

heads heads heads... I have the afr 205s with a baby tr224 112 and put down 440 corrected. I had a problem with valve springs and harmonics with the stock afr springs, fixed with thier upgraded spring. My ported ls6 heads only put down 410 corrected so maybe exhaust runner has alot to do with it. My afr heads are out of the box, I am using a .040 commetic and have full bolt ons. Did you fly cut your pistons? Maybe you slightly bent a few? should show up on a dyno though. I also agree that you do not have enough compression for that cam and head setup.
Old 09-06-2005, 07:50 PM
TECH Addict

Well the entire cam/head setup is contrary to what i wanted. Fran Schatz picked everything. I had a list of what i wanted installed, he decided none of it was ok so he assured me this setup would make huge numbers on my stock shortblock. I guess he was wrong.

No we didnt flycut the pistons. The first set of heads were milled unbeknownest to Fran and he bent all the valves on the first start up. So we sent out my heads to get them worked, no milling, and it seems to work fine now. I was wondering if they were slighty bent myself.

Chuck do you think that you cam has enough clearance with stock unmilled LS6 heads? Also thanks for the the tuning offer but i live like 2,000 miles away otherwise i would definately take you up on the offer.

No i didnt check fuel pressure. See i paid about $9k to Fran to do this work and have it all tund for me. He promised me the car could go 10s with this setup and that he would have it all dyno tuned and such. I am only 18 years old so when i spend $9,000 it had damn well better do what it's supposed to. I'm just a little dissappointed.

Thanks SS02. I saw your car too when i picked the vette up. Very clean man. Killer setup you're doing too man. My AIM and Yahoo is ShawnMacAnanny if you ever wanna talk.

So the bottom line is the setup i have is crap? I should have gone with 5.3L heads, and a different cam? I wanted the Trex or the G5X3 cam. If i put in an iron 408 like i planned on, what could i expect from that? Would all of my numbers skyrocket?

Quick Reply: Why did my Z06 dyno so low? Lots of mods, low numbers