Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gold German Castrol Syntec 0w30 Oil Analysis Results

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2005, 08:22 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah but I guess what I really need to know is are these motors more delicate than the old SBC that I am way more familiar with, as a matter of fact I just pulled apart a 33y/o 350SB that has not been treated that well and it is more than good enough to make a 383 out of. I'll get almost 500HP out of it and put it in a '65 Chevy C-10. Goin Old School for my old man.
Old 09-10-2005, 09:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wouldnt say their more delicate... Although there are some tighter tolerances which is why they suggest 5w30.

I guess those of us who look into oil are simply not satisfied with "just okay", and it extends to every part of our cars, even down to the oil. If we could get 150K miles out of an engine with conventional oil, thats cool, but why not use synthetic and go for 300K!
Old 09-10-2005, 11:07 AM
TECH Resident

Yeah I agree on the synthetic like I said I've been using Valvoline Synpower for almost 10 yrs. But I sure as hell ain't goin on some 3-4 county search for some German Castrol. Really is all that necissary?
Old 09-10-2005, 12:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by firefighter
Yeah I agree on the synthetic like I said I've been using Valvoline Synpower for almost 10 yrs. But I sure as hell ain't goin on some 3-4 county search for some German Castrol. Really is all that necissary?
Id say probably not. But while youre at the local autozone, you might as well pick the oil that has the best results in an ls1. Most local autozones around me have the gold GC atleast. But if they didnt, Id probably pick up some mobil1 0w40 since it might just be the next best as far as the oils they have in stock. Some places even have redline or royal purple oil so i hear, but I havnt seen them. Read up and choose from the best of what your local place has. I dont know about valvoline synpower but im sure you can find info if you look. Maybe that performs well in the ls1 or maybe theyres something else that performs even better.
Old 09-10-2005, 03:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

....this just in - man wears out and destroys engine in endless search for german castrol

I just tried some GC in my car and I like it so far - same noises as usual. Flows better than m1 10w-30 when cold and stays higher pressure when hot. I think I will try 0w - 40 mobil next though.
Old 09-11-2005, 01:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Your lead looks high. In addition there it appears that your air filter might need to be changed and your insoluables are in the gray zone. Usually, you do not want them to go higher than .3. What was the TBN? The flash point looks strong. You could have run this oil for 8,000 miles.
Old 09-11-2005, 06:39 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The air filter gets changed with every oil change. No TBN done (sorry). As I said, the car had ingested some water right before this oil change, and is now in an Auto-Rx cycle.

Insoluables - what drives those numbers up?

Quick Reply: Gold German Castrol Syntec 0w30 Oil Analysis Results