Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wtf Son?!

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2005, 07:56 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it was luck that you wern't at home in your shop when this happened. LS1's dont run too good with aftermarket piston heads....... oh well count your blessens. I am blown away that this was covered. where did you get the warrenty from? was it from a GM dealer?
Old 09-18-2005, 09:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

As other folks have hit on in this thread, there's two separate ways to effect liability limitations:

1. Warranty -- this is nothing more than the assurance that a part will not fail in NORMAL service. If you damage something by exceeding the limits for which the part was designed, by your own actions (ie. mis-shifting down a gear while already at redline), that isn't the fault of the part and thus SHOULD NOT be covered under warranty. Its a "feel good" selling tactic, to give people the impression they're purchasing a quality part. If the manuf. is willing to cover any failure of their components for an agreeable time period, that implies you won't have trouble with it.

2. Insurance -- this is the assurance that if something goes wrong, whether it was your fault or not, that you will have the repair costs paid for you. In actuality, even insurance coverage is split -- you do not have to carry coverage for at-fault damage IF YOU OWN the car. If the car has a lein on it (ie. a loan secured with the car itself) the lein holder will demand it has coverage for at-fault damage. Insurance does not typically cover engine damage as a result of the driver's actions, but there are exceptions. If a driver is on the street in time of heavy rains and swamps the car, insurance generally covers that loss.
Old 09-18-2005, 12:27 PM
10 Second Club

Ask the techs if they will replace your stock "kanewter valve" with the high performance piece since they are right there at it..
Old 09-18-2005, 01:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Have them check your muffler bearings and blinker fluid too...
Old 09-18-2005, 01:46 PM
Staging Lane

Yes I know there are no bearings in a muffler. I wasnt racing the car at the time. I was just down shifting to brake and slow down. I dont like using my brakes if I dont have to. The engine brake slows the car gradualy enough. I simply was off in lala land and wasnt paying attention to my revs before I shifted again. I was trying to figure out what lane I needed to be in, in this unfamilar city. I saw that I was still approching the car in front of me a a faster than desiered speed so I shifted again. Who here hasnt made a mistake? Im a young guy only 22 I dont have much exsperiance with working on cars. Im learning and at one point all of you were in the same spot. This would be like me making fun of you over things that i thought of as common knowlage and you didnt know. I doubt that all of you are exsperts at everything. This is the fist car that I have own that Had a warrenty. The way the dealership made it sound is that it was there incase anything and I mean anything went wrong. I can handle the car just fine and have driven cars with a little more pep. how often do you see pro's making muistakes and wrecking? Im also shure that even a pro driver dosnt know everything about the inner workings of his car. I came here to see what people who know more than me thought. Maybe you would have some advice for me that I never thought of. Maybe even a diffrent point of veiw. Everything in life at one point is new to you. I have never had to deal with this problem or even a warrenty. I had my own misconceptions about the whole thing and those are quickly getting replace with reality. It's sort of fucked up to just sit around and make fun of someone because they lack a little knowlage. like I said before Im learning. I didnt grow up working on cars like some of you. I didnt get that chance, and now I can learn and all im getting is riddicule.
Old 09-18-2005, 02:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Don't downshift to slow the car.
Old 09-18-2005, 02:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BlueSix
Don't downshift to slow the car.
Eh.....at least not until you learn where your damn powerband is in each gear

People in here aren't rediculing you b/c you don't know anything, its b/c you are disagreeing with their advice. Don't kick a gift horse in the mouth. As for the piston head comment.....you earned that one bud. Sorry.

I didn't really pick up a wrench for a car until I was 17-18, its just a matter of whether you want to learn.

And no....I've never downshifted so bad that I've bent my valves, for the record.

Now you know not to shift unless you're paying attention, and not to ask GM to install aftermarket parts for you. 2 lessons learned right here
Old 09-18-2005, 02:46 PM
TECH Resident

Exclamation

desiered knowlage exsperiance exsperts warrenty incase muistakes shure dosnt EVER HEARD OF SPELL CHECK???

"It's sort of fucked up to just sit around and make fun of someone because they lack a little knowlage."

Lack a little KNOWLEDGE???

i know very little about engines, and mechanics either... This was almost common sense.. Obviously you abused the car, no WARRANTY covers HUMAN **** UPS. I could barely read this last post because of all the mis-spellings.. Come on dude... Its called a spell check for gods sakes. Please tell me you have been drinking heavily.
Old 09-18-2005, 03:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Shadow, I'm sure it feels like people are kicking you when you're down, including myself. Thing is, its really hard to believe that people would think a warranty covers any possible way a part can fail. That's what sparked my "Wal-Mart generation" comment. Seems our younger generation somehow got the idea that nothing is their fault -- ever. Its sickening to those of us only a few years older (I'm 30). Society has trained our youth there's always room to point the finger at someone/thing else and to buck responsibility at all costs. That's morally reprehensible in the worst way.

I guess the message is "take care of your own things" and "don't try to screw someone when you're the one who screwed up" and finally "if someone's willing to cover your mistakes, don't insult them by being greedy."