Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wtf Son?!

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2005, 04:09 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Wtf Son?!

So I over reved my engine and it has taken like a week for these people to firgure it out. THen they are saying that the exstended warrenty might not cover it. Anyone know anything about this ****? Apparently my valves arnt seated and I am losing compression. Also somthing about floating the valves. Is this a common problem? the cars 5 years old it going to brake down right?
Old 09-16-2005, 04:36 PM
TECH Regular

I wouldn't expect them to fix a prob that I was responable for. the key is not to over rev it. it is only common when you bend the valves from over reving it. on a car with a M6 if you over rev the rev limiter backs off the timing and fuel but the direct drive through the tires to the motor under accelaration will keep the motor spinning and can do this type of damage. I hope things go in your favor, good luck
Old 09-16-2005, 05:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

If you overrev and screw up the motor, most likely from mis-shifting, I wouldn't expect your warranty company to pay anything. That's what's called "abuse." You're the one who put it in the wrong gear and let out the clutch, so why should someone else have to pay? Suck it up and be a man -- you play, you pay.

Sounds like you really screwed up too -- most of the time a missed shift will bend a pushrod or two and its not too big of a deal. Your problem is apparently bent valves, which means you SEVERELY floated the valves, and the pistons came up and got intimate. You're looking at a total tear down of at least the top end of the motor, and I'd be a bit curious to see how the bottom end is doing as well (big ends of the rods out of round, rod bolt stretch, etc.).
Old 09-16-2005, 07:14 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Brains
If you overrev and screw up the motor, most likely from mis-shifting, I wouldn't expect your warranty company to pay anything. That's what's called "abuse." You're the one who put it in the wrong gear and let out the clutch, so why should someone else have to pay? Suck it up and be a man -- you play, you pay.

Sounds like you really screwed up too -- most of the time a missed shift will bend a pushrod or two and its not too big of a deal. Your problem is apparently bent valves, which means you SEVERELY floated the valves, and the pistons came up and got intimate. You're looking at a total tear down of at least the top end of the motor, and I'd be a bit curious to see how the bottom end is doing as well (big ends of the rods out of round, rod bolt stretch, etc.).

No doubt about it!! Good luck though.
Old 09-16-2005, 08:52 PM
Staging Lane

Well it looks like they are going to pay for it they rep said they are arguing over the labor time. Hmm sounds like they are going to pay..... NOw another question is it worth trying to get them to replace the piston heads with an aftermarket part and also the throttle body? and so what and were should i buy??
Old 09-16-2005, 10:50 PM
On The Tree

Your kidding right?
Old 09-16-2005, 11:00 PM
12 Second Club

Yeah, warranty on pretty much anything NEVER covers abuse.

It is interesting that insurance doesn't cover it though (I know they don't.)

But, consider this, when you get into a wreck (your fault) your insurance covers it. So why would things like mis shifts or running through a deep puddle not be covered?

Just food for thought.
Old 09-17-2005, 10:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Its the "Wal Mart" generation of kids.. "Hey I was using this wrong and broke it, but it should have been designed so my dumb *** couldn't break it in the first place. I want a refund."

If they're going to cover it, you're incredibly lucky. Go ahead and push the issue of upgrading parts (apparently not even knowing what is what -- piston heads?) and maybe they'll end up denying your claim.
Old 09-17-2005, 10:20 AM
11 Second Club

Don't push them anymore, be happy they honored your claim.(abuse) WTF is a piston head?
Are you telling them you want new heads and pistons? Getting warranty work done is like gambling(my experiance) sometimes you win, sometimes you get the bill.
Good luck
Old 09-17-2005, 10:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Hi Brains
Could not have said it better - well done.
Bill
Old 09-17-2005, 02:01 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by silverTA2002
Yeah, warranty on pretty much anything NEVER covers abuse.

It is interesting that insurance doesn't cover it though (I know they don't.)

But, consider this, when you get into a wreck (your fault) your insurance covers it. So why would things like mis shifts or running through a deep puddle not be covered?

Just food for thought.
I was just trying to start a discussion. Guess it didn't work.

I should note that I don't think warranty or insurance should cover stupidity.
Old 09-17-2005, 03:25 PM
Staging Lane

Well the warrenty apparently covers all that parts and labor. Well when im talking to the techs they keep refering to the heads of the pistons. I dont know the names of the parts im a learner and cant remember the name of **** ever. So I figured that people might understand better if I said a piston head. atlest they could understand that I understand what the part is if not the name of it. that whole thing about insurance covering you if you make a mistake and cause a wreck was along the same line of thought in why i bought the warrenty. I wouldnt even try to get them to do any work if I put in a wrong part. But you figure someone is bound to make a mistake and do somthing that causes a malfuntion. I figure thats the point of the warrenty right? make sence to me. they are gambeling that nothing will go wrong with the car and you are betting that somthing will. But if they are going to do the work why would they have a problem putting in a part that I bought? they are getting paid for the work and stock parts. granted if it broke down again I would be stuck paying for it. right now I dont have the bay or tools to do any of the work my self I also dont have the money for the parts or the time. So i hade no choice but to put it in. if I was at home the story would be diffrent.
Old 09-17-2005, 03:37 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by silverTA2002
I was just trying to start a discussion. Guess it didn't work.

I should note that I don't think warranty or insurance should cover stupidity.
If that were the case, 99% of accidents wouldn't be covered.
Old 09-17-2005, 03:40 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Shadow's SS
Well the warrenty apparently covers all that parts and labor. Well when im talking to the techs they keep refering to the heads of the pistons. I dont know the names of the parts im a learner and cant remember the name of **** ever. So I figured that people might understand better if I said a piston head. atlest they could understand that I understand what the part is if not the name of it. that whole thing about insurance covering you if you make a mistake and cause a wreck was along the same line of thought in why i bought the warrenty. I wouldnt even try to get them to do any work if I put in a wrong part. But you figure someone is bound to make a mistake and do somthing that causes a malfuntion. I figure thats the point of the warrenty right? make sence to me. they are gambeling that nothing will go wrong with the car and you are betting that somthing will. But if they are going to do the work why would they have a problem putting in a part that I bought? they are getting paid for the work and stock parts. granted if it broke down again I would be stuck paying for it. right now I dont have the bay or tools to do any of the work my self I also dont have the money for the parts or the time. So i hade no choice but to put it in. if I was at home the story would be diffrent.
NO! Warranties only cover mechanical failures due to manufacturer's defects. Consider yourself lucky!
Old 09-17-2005, 04:00 PM
Staging Lane

Ya im figuring that out. But at the time I bought it and at the time it broke that was the way i thought the **** worked. Lesson learned right?
Old 09-17-2005, 07:08 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Brains
Its the "Wal Mart" generation of kids.. "Hey I was using this wrong and broke it, but it should have been designed so my dumb *** couldn't break it in the first place. I want a refund."

If they're going to cover it, you're incredibly lucky. Go ahead and push the issue of upgrading parts (apparently not even knowing what is what -- piston heads?) and maybe they'll end up denying your claim.
Sounds like you got all you can tackle with a stock motor!
You dont want to upgrade if you cant control what you've already got...and don't ask them to put in aftermarket parts, that will pretty much make it look intentional on your part.

And maybe when the techs were saying piston heads you might have missed a few words in there. "Looks like the pistons have pounded the living crap out of the heads."
Old 09-17-2005, 07:18 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Shadow's SS
what warranty do you have?
Old 09-17-2005, 07:23 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Originally Posted by Lorenz
what warranty do you have?
He checked the box on the form that said "RACING"!!!!
Old 09-17-2005, 07:37 PM
Teching In

Upgrading to aftermarket parts to rebuild your engine would void the rest of your engine warranty for sure.
Old 09-17-2005, 07:40 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Originally Posted by SY KB 4.7L
Upgrading to aftermarket parts to rebuild your engine would void the rest of your engine warranty for sure.
Not necessarily...If the Certified Tech from GM at a dealership puts them in there could be some sort of warranty. I know that they will put a hot cam in and still give you factory or extended warranty.