Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suddenly, horrible whining sound coming from engine and exhaust tips, help!!!???

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2005, 10:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Suddenly, horrible whining sound coming from engine and exhaust tips, help!!!???

Oh no! About thirty seconds after start-up, going down my driveway and suddenly it starts whining/whistling! Sounds like from the engine, but also got loud when I walked around behind the exhaust! I sounds like a constant sound so I'm thinking spun bearing??? I would be hoping and thinking maybe it's just a pulley bearing, but getting loud from the exhaust tips makes me think internal. Any help and/or suggestions greatly appreciated!!! Anybody know around how much for a crate motor or short-block?
Old 09-18-2005, 01:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

what? Ok, I went out to put it in the garage, and now it seems back to normal. Drove it for a few short trips, seems fine. Very strange...
Old 09-18-2005, 01:12 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Already pricing motors? lol! It could be a hole in your manifold for all you know.
You might have a broken hanger that is squeking and resonating in the pipes.
Old 09-18-2005, 01:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

it was a very constant and very loud sound. I was hoping it was a pulley or something until I heard it through the exhaust pipes. At the time I shut it off then started it back up and it still did it, so I shut it off again. Fifteen minutes later I starteed it and it was back to normal. I've been trying to figure out what it could have been to hear it through the exhaust like that but still go back to normal.
Old 09-18-2005, 07:37 AM
TECH Regular

I had a sound that sounded like a banchi howling. it sounded like passinger side. I was relly worried and it was their for a few sec. then gone as fast as it came. then it just wouldn't stop. it took some serching but it turned out to be the starter the small gear was getting stuck in the outward position and the motor was turning it after starting. check that.
Old 09-18-2005, 11:33 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, let's start with a spun bearing will never sound like whining, whirring, etc. Pulleys, torque converter flex plate, throw out bearing, PS pump, alternator bearing, starter (as mentioned above), etc. will do that but not the internals. Next time you hear it, take the time to locate the source and take it from there.
Old 09-18-2005, 11:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DaddySS
OK, let's start with a spun bearing will never sound like whining, whirring, etc. Pulleys, torque converter flex plate, throw out bearing, PS pump, alternator bearing, starter (as mentioned above), etc. will do that but not the internals. Next time you hear it, take the time to locate the source and take it from there.
I've had all types of bearings in all types of toys go bad, and this sounded like some kind of bearing gone bad or something wedged in a rotating part causing a constant moan/whine. As for the starter, maybe not because the noise started about thirty seconds AFTER it was started. Unless of course an electronic fault caused the starter to re-engage. Actually my starter relay does act up once in a while, I wonder...
Locating the source was second on my list. The hood was open. I came in to post the message then go back out and find the source, when the sound was gone.
Damn this car is fun to drive, I hope the noise never re-appears
Old 09-18-2005, 07:14 PM
10 Second Club

Mine would make a horrible noise coming from the exhaust when the car was cold and the AIR pump was running
Old 09-18-2005, 09:33 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Shooter_Jay
I've had all types of bearings in all types of toys go bad, and this sounded like some kind of bearing gone bad or something wedged in a rotating part causing a constant moan/whine. As for the starter, maybe not because the noise started about thirty seconds AFTER it was started. Unless of course an electronic fault caused the starter to re-engage. Actually my starter relay does act up once in a while, I wonder...
Locating the source was second on my list. The hood was open. I came in to post the message then go back out and find the source, when the sound was gone.
Damn this car is fun to drive, I hope the noise never re-appears
OK understand why you would think that, but bearings in an internal combustion engine are very different from other types - when they go bad you hear a knock, thump, etc.

The air pump mentioned above is another good area to check, fits with your description of noise out the tailpipe and it only runs for a minute or so when the engine is cold.
Old 09-18-2005, 09:43 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DaddySS
OK understand why you would think that, but bearings in an internal combustion engine are very different from other types - when they go bad you hear a knock, thump, etc.

The air pump mentioned above is another good area to check, fits with your description of noise out the tailpipe and it only runs for a minute or so when the engine is cold.
Pull the fuse for your air pump and see if you still get that noise. Allthough you are gonna have a new light appear on your dash!
Old 09-18-2005, 09:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 1BADAIR
Mine would make a horrible noise coming from the exhaust when the car was cold and the AIR pump was running
got one better, i took the tubes off the ss when i did the headers, now it sounds like it has a electric supersharger at start up. i jus nee to unplug it but im kinda lazy
Old 09-19-2005, 12:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Just because anything is a posibility. I have heard of these whistles that people put on peoples exhaust. I saw a news report on this. Some people actually like this noise here is the site check your exhaust for this just in case. here is the link

http://www.zymetrical.com/product.asp?3=15&dc=331x83ex

and this is the new report

http://video.search.yahoo.com/search...&cop=&ei=UTF-8

Quick Reply: Suddenly, horrible whining sound coming from engine and exhaust tips, help!!!???