Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PRC 2.5 heads: Initial impressions and flow numbers inside

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2005, 07:51 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ditto........ I was wondering the same thing.....

Originally Posted by DamianLT1
What the biggest cam you could get before you have to fly cut the pistons?
Old 09-25-2005, 08:52 AM
I can shift faster than you.

I have not checked valve drop on these heads yet, but will do so before I install them. Then, I'll be better able to tell you what cams will or will not fit using these heads.

Jason
Old 09-25-2005, 05:19 PM
On The Tree

Hope they get good results, looking into these myself.
Old 09-25-2005, 07:55 PM
LSxGuy widda 9sec Mustang

The valve clearance always gets tight on the intake side from the big valve. The exhaust tends to stay about the same. I know that they were experimenting on a few test heads to gain a little more intake clearance so that our bigger cams may have a chance of clearing.
Old 09-26-2005, 01:26 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by -Joseph-
The valve clearance always gets tight on the intake side from the big valve. The exhaust tends to stay about the same. I know that they were experimenting on a few test heads to gain a little more intake clearance so that our bigger cams may have a chance of clearing.
Well from talking with you guys im pretty sure i remember you telling me the 233/239 will clear but nothing bigger. How much clearance are we actually talking about with the 233/239 on the intake side, and what other cams fit (i think the mini stick)?

Nate
Old 09-26-2005, 06:37 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Nate_Taufer
Well from talking with you guys im pretty sure i remember you telling me the 233/239 will clear but nothing bigger. How much clearance are we actually talking about with the 233/239 on the intake side, and what other cams fit (i think the mini stick)?

Nate
When I purchased my PRC heads TSP had just come out with the "mini stick" and I was wanting to run it.. But, Jason checked it out and said it was just too close to try it. So I went with the 233/239 R2.. But, they might have gotten it to fit now..
Old 09-27-2005, 09:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default My PRC's just arrived! (overall impression)

I just got my PRC 5.3L 2.5's and they look pretty good. They didn't come w/the PRC Logo cnc'd on 'em. Nor were they packed very nicely. They came in a box with a piece of cardboard between them. They were litteraly busting out the side of the box! and a flow sheet on a piece of paper that had been ripped by the sharp edge of the head .

Bryan @ TSP said that it's how all their heads are shipped. He also said that he wasn't sure why they didn't have the logo, other than they must've been in a rush to get 'em out! They also have some small burrs that I'll be cleaning up before install.

Not too impressed! I guess I'll see how they perform before I pass judgement.

Their customer service is outstanding though, and Bryan was great to deal with.
Old 09-28-2005, 10:38 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow that's the first time anyone hasn't liked the new packaging we're doing with the heads. We ship them in a triple thick box, then put cardboard dividers on the outsides & in between the cylinder heads. Each cylinder head is also placed in it's own plastic bag!

It sounds like your set took a pretty big beating by UPS

Sorry you didn't get the logo cut on the side of the head, I killed the engraving bit & had to ship heads 2 days without putting the logo on them.

I would be more than happy to reprint your flow sheet & fax or mail it to you if you would like
404cid Stroker, 67mm Twins
994rwhp/902lb ft @ 22 psi (mustang dyno) www.Texas-Speed.com
Old 09-28-2005, 10:45 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I didnt get a logo or a flow sheet either, while the packaging was good in my case, one head was not damage free, but not from shipping i dont think
Old 09-28-2005, 11:09 AM
Sold The Fun Stuff :(

Dont put it past a shipping company to screw your heads up. I work at UPS and often times boxes bust open in shipping due to mishandling by careless employees (read: 95% of employees at these places). When a box busts open we send it to rewrap where they rebox it. Often times they'll just throw it in a single thick box (or if it where heads, throw a cardboard divider between them), sometimes things get left out (like receipts and flow sheets and the like). Every shipping company is like this and it's just a fact of life in the shipping world unfortunately.

TSP has always had great customer service with me. I'm looking heavily at these DART heads but if I go with a ported stock casting I'll be looking at PRC first. If you feel like you got shorted just contact TSP and I'm sure they'll take care of you.

I just wanted to post to let people know what goes on between the time the heads leave TSP's hands and get to your house.
Old 09-28-2005, 11:36 AM
11 Second Club

nice heads i love mine
Old 09-28-2005, 01:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

I really wasn't too concerned with the logo or the flow sheet. I just don't want there to be any hidden damage, like a bent valve or something I can't see. These are my first set of heads. I'm pretty sure they're ok though.

Brian said to send pictures of the heads and the box. However upon further inspection of the heads, there wasn't any noticlable damage to take a pic of. The box dosen't really look so terribly bad in a pic either, even though the castings actually made it though the box and the springs/retainers/valves were about a tissues thickness before they'd be protruding as well.

It was def. TSP's original package.

I just got done cleaning up the burrs and there were alot of them. I used a tiny finishing file, man they really needed it. There were loose burrs (that I could pull off with my fingers/fingernails) @ the plug threads in the combustion chamber, in the water jackets, and even the intake and exhaust ports.

Is it normal for the Intake ports to be ported out enough to were they actully run into the threaded hole of the rocker studs? Leaving a hole in the internal wall of the intake runner? It'd obviously be filled by the bolt when the rockers are installed. All the intake runners were like this so I'd assume it's normal?

Thanks in advance
-Aaron
Old 09-28-2005, 01:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Yeap normal just remember to put sealant on those bolts.
Old 10-08-2005, 10:29 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by oange ss
I didnt get a logo or a flow sheet either, while the packaging was good in my case, one head was not damage free, but not from shipping i dont think

so am I gettin my ****** flow sheet or what !?!?!?!!?
Old 10-08-2005, 10:48 AM
LSxGuy widda 9sec Mustang

Did you talk to Jason about getting the flowsheet? I'd call him on Monday when TSP is open with your name/number/address..etc, he can fax it over or mail it...

Quick Reply: PRC 2.5 heads: Initial impressions and flow numbers inside