Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

car turned off while driving, now wont start

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2005, 08:53 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$450 dealer cost is insane.

You should be able to access the wires and repair them yourself.

Use a moisture seal on the repair so the wires don`t corrode.

So....does this mean I`m eating rod bolts, or did this line save me:

Normally, when an electronic sensor fails, it wont recover (unless it's a loose
connector/wire, etc.).
Old 09-26-2005, 09:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by XCESPWR
I got a call back from the dealer and they said they pulled a CPS code from the computer (no SES was ever shown) but, they said they also found the wire loom by the left header was melted and some wires were exposed and possibly grounding out on those turns. The dealer also said that one of the cps wires is in this specific loom. I am going to go check it out at the dealer tomorrrow morning and see if its something I can fix and save the $450.00 the dealer wanted to fix it.

I will let you guys know how this goes.

Thanks again for everyone's help and patience!
Just so you know, I never once got a SES code in the 2 days that my CPS was going wacky and making my car run like ***.

Don't know about the burnt wire issue, except for that sounds like a typical dealership RIP-OFF.

See it for yourself man. A $43.00-ish CPS sensor turns into a $500+ job. ********.
Old 09-26-2005, 10:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Adrenaline_Z
$450 dealer cost is insane.

You should be able to access the wires and repair them yourself.

Use a moisture seal on the repair so the wires don`t corrode.

So....does this mean I`m eating rod bolts, or did this line save me:
Maybe not hardened bolts, just the regular softer ones
Old 09-27-2005, 10:53 AM
On The Tree

just coat them in some ketchup and chug some beer when their finished. should go down fine
Old 09-27-2005, 11:06 AM
TECH Resident

Let's hope! But in all fairness, the sensor still works, it's the wires that are
damaged.

Maybe I can eat just the wire loom instead?

I wonder how the wire ended up on the header to begin with. Doesn't
that wire path run up the front of the engine and over the in inner side
of the valve cover?

Last edited by Adrenaline_Z; 09-27-2005 at 04:53 PM.
Old 09-27-2005, 05:11 PM
Staging Lane

So i saw the wires at the delaer and it looks like a job you could get done by some random person on the sidewalk for $10. Basically there were 3 wires that were damaged. Each damaged wire had about a 4 inch peice that was burnt/freyed. The wire to the starter had 2 missing strands out of about 15. the other 2 wires were a little worse with only 4 to 5 strands left in each wire. I did a temporary fix at the dealer with lots of electrical tape and some jumper wires to make sure each signal was crossing the damaged peice. Car drove home perfectly fine.

I will wait until i have some free time to cut the damaged peices out and solder new sections in and heat shrink them. $450 was insane for the small amount of work that they were going to do. The guy at the service desk was cool and told me i should probabaly just take it home and do it myself (he was the one that allowed me to work on the wires in order to drive it home).

Thanks again everyone for your input and quick and accurate responses!
Old 09-27-2005, 08:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Adrenaline_Z
Let's hope! But in all fairness, the sensor still works, it's the wires that are
damaged.

Maybe I can eat just the wire loom instead?

I wonder how the wire ended up on the header to begin with. Doesn't
that wire path run up the front of the engine and over the in inner side
of the valve cover?
You did bet that it was the fuel system, or "you would eat rod bolts". So how about just one bolt dipped lightly in ketchup
Old 09-27-2005, 08:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by XCESPWR
So i saw the wires at the delaer and it looks like a job you could get done by some random person on the sidewalk for $10. Basically there were 3 wires that were damaged. Each damaged wire had about a 4 inch peice that was burnt/freyed. The wire to the starter had 2 missing strands out of about 15. the other 2 wires were a little worse with only 4 to 5 strands left in each wire. I did a temporary fix at the dealer with lots of electrical tape and some jumper wires to make sure each signal was crossing the damaged peice. Car drove home perfectly fine.

I will wait until i have some free time to cut the damaged peices out and solder new sections in and heat shrink them. $450 was insane for the small amount of work that they were going to do. The guy at the service desk was cool and told me i should probabaly just take it home and do it myself (he was the one that allowed me to work on the wires in order to drive it home).

Thanks again everyone for your input and quick and accurate responses!
Glad you got it figured out, I hate when I can't find a problem. I was driving home today and 1 mile from my house the A/C belt took a flying leap off the pulleys. It just sat there luckily and didn't get all wound up in my serpantine belt. I put it back on, started the car and turned the A/C on with my cousin watching. It immediately flew off again. I think the two tensioners down there are coming loose because they don't look lined up with the A/C compressor, crank pulley and the tensioners.

Maybe I found my overheating problem.

Quick Reply: car turned off while driving, now wont start