Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

heads and cam only gave 8 rwhp wtf

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2005, 04:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the hp numbers are too choppy, it should be much smoother and to peak at 54xx is not right either...does the car feel stronger or worse? you should have noticed quite a difference! the installer/tuner should've known something was wrong when they saw your graph. TAKE IT BACK.
Old 10-03-2005, 10:06 AM
Launching!

Default hum...

Few Possiblity's.

#1 Degreed wrong

#2 Bad Dyno

#3 Someone just pocketed your money and just tuned the car withought adding anything they said they added.

W/e it is, i hope you get it figured out. Good Luck

Last edited by TWISTEDTA; 10-03-2005 at 10:16 AM.
Old 10-03-2005, 10:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not only does it peak way to early, the power drops off very sharply. I'd guess mechanical, but there is no A/F posted on the run. Did you log the dyno runs so you can look at timing, KR, etc?

Cat overtemp turned off?

I would not flog the car until you figure this out.
Old 10-03-2005, 10:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Did you change the valve springs from the stock z06 springs?
Old 10-03-2005, 11:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 777
Did you change the valve springs from the stock z06 springs?
Originally Posted by SickZ06
the springs are whatever comes on the AFR head from AFR.
I agree, its looks as more of a mechanical prob than electronic.
Old 10-03-2005, 11:25 AM
Flow Wizard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I posted my thoughts on this topic on the Z06 board where you originally posted it....Did you manage to find or inquire about any of the issues I had asked you about?

And this situation is definately mechanical in nature guys as alot of you have pointed out (IMHO anyway).

To recap I had asked you to look into:

How much lifter pre-load? (perhaps too long a pushrod lifting valves from the seat)

Which brand/style of valvetrain components?
Leakdown and cranking compression of all eight holes?
Possible clogged fuel filter? (was pressure somehow monitered during the run).

I might have inquired about a few other things but those are the few that come to mind right now quickly. If all checks out OK here we can all put our thinking caps on and try and dig deeper but this is a process of elimination and the basics need to checked and verified first.

Good luck....keep us posted
Tony M.
Old 10-03-2005, 11:49 AM
Launching!

This might be a blind crap shot but if the cam is checked out alright on the degrees, then I suggest you to put the stock LS6 heads back on and see what you makes. I understand that AFR heads are very popular and high quality. But it might of been just luck that you have gotten a incorrectly assimbled heads, may be the valves are bad or wrong size, or not seated right. That will be my last resort if I were you. If you make more power with the stock LS6 heads than you do with the AFRs, then keep the stock ones and sell the AFRs. You will save alot of money too.
Old 10-03-2005, 11:58 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo @ AFR
I posted my thoughts on this topic on the Z06 board where you originally posted it....Did you manage to find or inquire about any of the issues I had asked you about?

yes I pm'd you that day, and had comp check done, results were posted at the outset of this thread, vacum check was ok, cam was checked its 2 degres advanced.

I have the numbers on lifter preload I will post thenm when I get home (I dont have them at work). But basically the tunner checked and the pushrods were the appropriate lenghth. (vendor sent them with the heads and cam)

the valvetrain compenents are whatever came from the vendor, I can call him and ask, will do it over lunch

tunner said fuel was not an issue at all I am not sure how he monitored it but i will ask
Old 10-03-2005, 01:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Have you pulled the plugs to see what they look like. What is the timing and a/f at wot. I say this because ls6 motors didn't use a lot of timing. With results that low I would think something mechanical is off as well. Did the cam have 2 degrees ground into it or was it set up 2 degrees advance with the timing gear? I have heard of people getting a cam grind that was off also. It would be a long shot, but you never know.
Old 10-03-2005, 06:00 PM
Staging Lane

If the installer had told you that he degee'd it maybe he ment he had advanced it on the chain, and if this is the case I think that he might have missed a tooth, this would definitly cause the same effect.

Good Luck
Old 10-03-2005, 06:56 PM
10 Second Club

I agree, most likley the cam had some advance ground it and now it is advanced too much. I am surprised that the shop let it leave like that.
Old 10-03-2005, 07:06 PM
On The Tree

Angry

Originally Posted by SgtB
I agree, most likley the cam had some advance ground it and now it is advanced too much. I am surprised that the shop let it leave like that.
Absolutely ! They do this **** for a living ? They Gotta know something was wrong by those numbers. Take it back and have them check their work !
Old 10-03-2005, 07:16 PM
TECH Addict

i agree wiyh the cam being installed incorectly also.prolly a tooth off.enough to really lose power but your cam isn't big enough for the valves to tag a piston when it is out. if you had a bigger cam you would probably have 8 bent valves.
Old 10-04-2005, 01:43 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by uberLS-1
Which is exactly why I am thinking the cam is installed wrong. You said it was degreed, but you didn't say what too. Are you sure it was degreed? If the cam already had the timing events changed (say a few degrees advance ground in) then someone "Setting it up" a few degrees advance or retarded would be making your valve events happen pretty far off of the pre-designed que and be causing some serious issues....like you are experiencing.
i belive it checked in at two degres advanced i am not sure.

what kind of plugs should be in the car NGK 6's or NGK 55's
Old 10-04-2005, 01:50 PM
10 Second Club

What's the compression ratio? Not goint to make that big of a differnce either way. Most run tr-55's below 11:1 if they're NA. TR6's are better for higher compression ratio.
Old 10-04-2005, 01:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Didn't you get a cam card? What is your ICL on the cam card?
Old 10-04-2005, 02:52 PM
On The Tree

I think I know what your problem is, but not sure why! Your torque drops off like a rock. Also if you look at the HP right where the throttle was closed, you can see a little jump! That tells me you are running WAY LEAN. I would say that you are nearly running out of fuel from so lean. Since you just changed the injectors, I would question those puppy's. Put your stock injectors back in and see what it does. If it's not the injectors, then you got something totally screwed up in your fuel map. But I bet it's your injectors. Are you sure they are the right ones.
Also check and see if your PCM is detecting a knock and retarding your ignition. I don't think there is anything wrong with your cam or heads. It's a fuel and/or spark timing issue. Maybe you need to try another tuner. And also you defintly need to check your A/F ratio, or you are working blind.

Last edited by Red99C5; 10-04-2005 at 02:57 PM.
Old 10-04-2005, 09:43 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by TWISTEDTA
Few Possiblity's.

#1 Degreed wrong

#2 Bad Dyno

#3 Someone just pocketed your money and just tuned the car withought adding anything they said they added.

W/e it is, i hope you get it figured out. Good Luck

Probably #1
I seriously doubt #2, and ESPECIALLY #3 seeing as the tuner is VERY honest.
(in other words I'll vouch for him)
Old 10-04-2005, 10:21 PM
Staging Lane

i guarantee the cam is in wrong same thing happened to a friend
Old 10-04-2005, 10:28 PM
Staging Lane

another posibility could be he put the stock cam in by mistake or some pulled a switch and stuck a stock ls1 cam in the box and took the one thats supposed to be in there