Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cam install: might have nicked a cam bearing? help pls

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2005, 10:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cam install: might have nicked a cam bearing? help pls

When taking out stock cam I tried to be as careful and slow as I could. However, the darn cam kept rocking some as it would go through the bearings. When looking down inside the motor from the front, I can see the #2 cam bearing is a bit nicked on the back side. Not even 1mm width and about 4-6mm long like where a lobe hit it from the side.

I had a friend with me who just got done with Aviation mechanic program. He said it's obviously not a great thing, but said the cam would wear that area down, but I'd have some metal in my motor and to change oil almost right away after starting.

Does that sound about right?

This is my first cam/heads install and I'm a bit paranoid.

Thanks

ps did a search on topic and didn't really come up with much to help my fears!
Old 10-09-2005, 10:32 PM
TECH Addict

Location: sojourning....looking for my city whose builder and maker is God.

Originally Posted by CoronaL
When taking out stock cam I tried to be as careful and slow as I could. However, the darn cam kept rocking some as it would go through the bearings. When looking down inside the motor from the front, I can see the #2 cam bearing is a bit nicked on the back side. Not even 1mm width and about 4-6mm long like where a lobe hit it from the side.

I had a friend with me who just got done with Aviation mechanic program. He said it's obviously not a great thing, but said the cam would wear that area down, but I'd have some metal in my motor and to change oil almost right away after starting.

Does that sound about right?

This is my first cam/heads install and I'm a bit paranoid.

Thanks

ps did a search on topic and didn't really come up with much to help my fears!
The brass bearings start wearing when new and will put some metal in the oil for the first 30,000 miles or so. So since that is normal, I would think you are ok in your situation as well. I bet a lot more people have done that and didn't even realize it. I would just do as he said and change the oil.
Old 10-10-2005, 08:53 AM
On The Tree

cool
thanks

I put the new cam in last night(tsp 231/237) and everything feels very smooth. I lubed it with quite a bit of 10w30 and will be disconnecting the coils and turning over motor to get oil psi up prior to initially firing it.

thanks again
Old 10-10-2005, 08:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Theres a difference between a scratch and a gouge. A small scratch isnt anything to worry about. It happens quite easily. Even measuring devices leave behind small scratches. Will Handzel's book on lsx engines even mentions this. I wouldnt worry about it at all. Now if its a gouge where you actually scooped out metal from the bearing, it might be more of a problem.

Quick Reply: cam install: might have nicked a cam bearing? help pls