Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

97 corvette need some help

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2005, 11:58 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 corvette need some help

This is my first visit to these forums and let me say tons of good information. Well pretty much I just got my first corvette and its a 97. After reading tons of posts and doing lots of searching I'm feeling a bit overwelmed. I have a power goal over 425-450 wheel horsepower. From what I've read heads and cam is the way to go but whos and what stage? Also whats the best method of tuning? Ive already got exhaust. So if your reading this thread and have a free minute post up some recommendations as far as heads, cam, tuning, or anything else I might find useful. Thanks for the time guys.
Brandon
Old 10-14-2005, 12:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1slowvette
This is my first visit to these forums and let me say tons of good information. Well pretty much I just got my first corvette and its a 97. After reading tons of posts and doing lots of searching I'm feeling a bit overwelmed. I have a power goal over 425-450 wheel horsepower. From what I've read heads and cam is the way to go but whos and what stage? Also whats the best method of tuning? Ive already got exhaust. So if your reading this thread and have a free minute post up some recommendations as far as heads, cam, tuning, or anything else I might find useful. Thanks for the time guys.
Brandon
I have a 97' but if you have seen one LS1 you have seen them all pretty much. 450+ is pretty easy to get with bolt ons. If your car is basically stock you have perimeter bolt valve covers. If you are on a budget like the rest of us a set of Patriot LS6 heads is a good addition. You will need new (used) valve covers for those (Center bolt) and will have to deal with coil mounting as well. Keeping it smog legal, get a cam around the .550 lift 114 LSA range. That with the heads and an LS6 intake (The 97' has the less desirable LS1 intake) would more than achieve your goal if you already have exhaust. Be nice to do the heads and cam at the same time so you can install new lifters and pushrods also. You could probably do all this for under $2000.00. You will need to tune. Either pay somebody or get the best PC software you can afford. LS1Edit is a pretty good deal if you ask me.

Last edited by Lasershop; 10-14-2005 at 12:33 PM.
Old 10-14-2005, 12:34 PM
TECH Regular

Ive been very happy with my MTI Stage 2e heads and G1 cam. It makes good power all around and very drivable. I know their prices are a little steep , but their work is quality and they are very knowledgeble. I know some people dont like MTI and may dissagree with this recommendation, but MTI has been nothing but great for my car. Granted you dont live in Texas or near MTI, so i dont know how you would go about tuning. Either way good luck with the vette .

check out www.motorsporttech.com
Old 10-14-2005, 12:45 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Lasershop
I have a 97' but if you have seen one LS1 you have seen them all pretty much. 450+ is pretty easy to get with bolt ons. If your car is basically stock you have perimeter bolt valve covers. If you are on a budget like the rest of us a set of Patriot LS6 heads is a good addition. You will need new (used) valve covers for those (Center bolt) and will have to deal with coil mounting as well. Keeping it smog legal, get a cam around the .550 lift 114 LSA range. That with the heads and an LS6 intake (The 97' has the less desirable LS1 intake) would more than achieve your goal if you already have exhaust. Be nice to do the heads and cam at the same time so you can install new lifters and pushrods also. You could probably do all this for under $2000.00. You will need to tune. Either pay somebody or get the best PC software you can afford. LS1Edit is a pretty good deal if you ask me.
Really!? j/k He meant 450rwhp. Not so easy, even with heads and cam.

As mentioned, heads and cam is the way to go, along with full bolt ons (LT headers, UD pulley, LS6 intake, ported TB, etc. etc. etc.).
TEA Stage 1.5 5.3L heads are excellent performing heads that don't break the bank. I ran those heads with a TSP 231/237 cam for 460rwhp, and the setup is currently making 480rwhp. Invest in decent headers (KOOKs or QTP) and you'll never have to think twice about them. Also, if you're going with a cam greater in duration than 230, think about gears out back.
Is your car M6 or A4?

Good luck!
Old 10-14-2005, 12:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SouthFL.02.SS
Really!? j/k He meant 450rwhp. Not so easy, even with heads and cam.

As mentioned, heads and cam is the way to go, along with full bolt ons (LT headers, UD pulley, LS6 intake, ported TB, etc. etc. etc.).
TEA Stage 1.5 5.3L heads are excellent performing heads that don't break the bank. I ran those heads with a TSP 231/237 cam for 460rwhp, and the setup is currently making 480rwhp. Invest in decent headers (KOOKs or QTP) and you'll never have to think twice about them. Also, if you're going with a cam greater in duration than 230, think about gears out back.
Is your car M6 or A4?

Good luck!
I know about the etc. etc. etc., That never ends.
Old 10-14-2005, 12:54 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

I know about the etc. etc. etc., That never ends.
Yeah, me too. I found the end - FOR SALE sign.
Old 10-14-2005, 01:01 PM
On The Tree

As mentioned by everyone else before me, Heads, Cam, Long-Tube Headers, and Tuning will easily get you over 400rwhp.....but to get to 450rwhp it will take a few more bolts ons. Just keep in mind if you go this route that you'll also need a new clutch, and possiblly a new slave as the '97 stock clutch won't hold all the power.

Good Luck!
Old 10-14-2005, 01:04 PM
Teching In

it's a M6 car. I'm not wild on changing the gearing, but I won't say that I'm totally against it. There are actually a set of MTI stage 2 heads for sale in the classifieds section of this forum with a matching cam. I was thinking about the lingenfelter intake manifold. Is the ls6 manifold any better? Would I be better off just sending my heads off to be worked up?
Old 10-14-2005, 01:19 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

and will have to deal with coil mounting as well.

We have a coil relocation kit for that

Old 10-14-2005, 01:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 97C5ENVY
As mentioned by everyone else before me, Heads, Cam, Long-Tube Headers, and Tuning will easily get you over 400rwhp.....but to get to 450rwhp it will take a few more bolts ons. Just keep in mind if you go this route that you'll also need a new clutch, and possiblly a new slave as the '97 stock clutch won't hold all the power.

Good Luck!
Nice 97' brother.
Old 10-14-2005, 01:28 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good luck...you have a fairly lofty goal, but it can be achieved with enough time and money. Unfortunately, you also inherited the Corvette tax. Good luck. I wanted that kinda power once upon a time, but I've since scaled my goals back to a more feasible number with my limited cash flow.
Old 10-14-2005, 01:33 PM
Teching In

ive for sure got enough for cam, heads, intake manifold and tuning right now.... I'm sure this would be a good start for some power. I just need to decide on some heads or find a shop to send mine to.
Old 10-14-2005, 01:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1slowvette
ive for sure got enough for cam, heads, intake manifold and tuning right now.... I'm sure this would be a good start for some power. I just need to decide on some heads or find a shop to send mine to.
You dont want to use your 97' heads (sand cast). The newer LS6 castings and ports are so much better. With the parts you listed above it will be a whole different car.
Old 10-14-2005, 01:46 PM
Teching In

ok so lets focus on heads and cam, whats the best bang for the buck and whats going to keep me daily drivable
here is a link to the heads I saw for sale
https://ls1tech.com/forums/lsx-parts-sale/347622-fs-like-new-mti-2e-heads-cam.html
and I know I've said it once but thanks for the input guys
Old 10-14-2005, 02:28 PM
Staging Lane

I have a set of brand new stage 3 ls1 heads assembled im looking to part with. I was putting them on my 99 corvette before I ran into some other problems. Let me know if your intrested.
Old 10-14-2005, 02:33 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

^ Stage 3, eh? What CC chamber? Most stage 3 heads are for blower application and/or big cubes.
Old 10-14-2005, 03:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just get a set of AFR 205s, AFR cam, and 90mm LSX...simple and no worries.
Old 10-14-2005, 03:26 PM
Teching In

wow the dyno chart on the website is crazy thats one of the highest performing heads Ive seen so far