Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It is finished:

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2005, 07:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default The Cam is IN!!!

I'm officially a cammed F-body owner. What an incredible experiance it was putting that stupid thing in though!!

JRP out of the greatness of his heart offered his help since I had never gone into an engine before. I started the breakdown around 8:00 in the morning on Saturday, and we fired the car up at 7:00 in the morning on Sunday!! We only took one break for a meal, and one break because I lost a retainer lock.

I went with the TR224 on a 114 LSA, because I wanted something that was reasonably tame, that was smog legal, and be an all around performer. Let me tell you, the cam is EXACTLY what I was looking for.

The car started instantly after the install, and didn't even have to look for an idle. It just started like any other day. You can hear that it's cammed, but only if you know what you're listening for. (Which is EXACTLY what I wanted). I haven't gotten to run her max out yet, because I don't get a tune until Saturday, but I can't wait. I know I picked up power in the low end though, because I can now cruiz in 6th gear at 30mph instead of 35 mph. That's how easy this cam is.

I have no surging, no bucking, no stalling, no gripeing, bitching, complaining, or wondering. The car starts and runs great. (it was in the 40's last night, and still no problem this morning)

I can't believe JRP was willing to stick around like that. I know it's easy to see what kind of guy he is from the time he takes helping everybody out online, and let me tell you, he's just like that in real life too. Even at the 20 hour mark I didn't hear a single complaint out of him. Cheers to you mate. I don't know many people who would work for 23 hours without a break on their weekend for a total stranger.

A word of advice to newbies like me who plan on installing your own gear. Make sure you have somebody around who knows the ropes. OR, make sure you have another means of transportation until you can get your car put back together.

Thanks to everybody who chiped in their $.02 before I made my purchase, and all the advice I've gained from the site here.

Happy motoring.

Last edited by CaptUSA; 10-18-2005 at 08:55 PM. Reason: No Good Reason
Old 10-18-2005, 10:32 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

for the record i dropped the valve lock , pays to have extra at the pad. like i said, glad your happy the way things turned out.
Old 10-18-2005, 10:44 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

20 hours That's a pretty long install. I'm sure you were taking your time and paying attention to the details though. Glad you're happy.

Oh, and the valve lock thing could've been worse. I dropped the pick up tube bolt into the oil pan during my install. Luckily I got it out with a pen magnet though.
Old 10-18-2005, 10:50 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by calongo_SS
20 hours That's a pretty long install. I'm sure you were taking your time and paying attention to the details though. Glad you're happy.

Oh, and the valve lock thing could've been worse. I dropped the pick up tube bolt into the oil pan during my install. Luckily I got it out with a pen magnet though.
dont ask :o

i usually tie a string around the oil pick up tube bolt when i do oil pump swaps, makes **** alot easier to retrieve the bolt when you drop it. then when the bolts threaded in enough cut the string off.
Old 10-18-2005, 11:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by calongo_SS
20 hours I'm sure you were taking your time and paying attention to the details though.
Well, I can't argue with we took our time.

I'm getting the headers on Thursday night / Friday, and on Saturday I'm off to LA (That's Los Angeles for you East Coasters ) to get her tuned up at A&A Vettes.

Old 10-19-2005, 12:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jrp
like i said, glad your happy the way things turned out.

Couldn't be more.

Today on the way home from work, I got on it a little when a truck was trying to cut me off. I think that was the beginning of a beautiful relationship. Can't wait to see what she does w/ the headers and a tune.

I'll cruiz by next week sometime when it's finished to let you see the finished product.
Old 10-19-2005, 12:42 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by jrp
dont ask :o

i usually tie a string around the oil pick up tube bolt when i do oil pump swaps, makes **** alot easier to retrieve the bolt when you drop it. then when the bolts threaded in enough cut the string off.

I had to drop it once, and nearly cry like a baby before I came up with that idea for the next attempt.
Old 10-19-2005, 01:29 PM
12 Second Club

congrads on your cam f-body, sure you will enjoy it for miles and miles.

fuerzaws6
Old 10-19-2005, 02:35 PM
TECH Addict

i agree...before i became the ls1tech i am now, i asked jerami if he would help with my intake swap and he said yes with a quickness! Although I ended up doing it back home, he still offered to help! but 20hrs i know what its like
Nino
Old 10-19-2005, 05:21 PM

Congrats. I just installed the TR224 on a 112 lsa myself over the last 2 weekends. The oil pump tube was a bitch, So were the Timming chain gears. Runs great now. I am getting it tunned Sat, But not Dyno'd yet. Soon, very soon.
Old 10-19-2005, 05:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

How was the start up and idle on your 112 LSA? The 114 doesn't even throw codes every day. It did on the second day, but that's it.
Old 10-19-2005, 05:46 PM

I also got a code on the 2nd day, but I removed my Air, so I think that is what the code is. It started right up with no problems. Oil pressure went right up. Everything was great. I thought it would have more lope. May get a larger cam eventually.
Old 10-19-2005, 05:47 PM

Idel was normal, Like you said, You would not know there was a cam in there if you did not know what you were listening for.
Old 10-19-2005, 10:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ah twenty hours is good for a cam install, I did mine all by myself and it took 46 days, of course that includes all the down time I had for a head rebuild, due to the fact the first time I had the new cam in I ended up bending some valves, due to not having my dots alighned correctly. Good job, nothing like the feeling of doing something yourself and eventualy getting it to work. My car runs great also after the second try on the cam install.
Old 10-20-2005, 03:30 AM
TECH Addict

Glad to hear of your success, and great to hear of JRP helping out like that, really says a lot about this f-body community, and JRP!
Old 10-20-2005, 04:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

I agree. I only had codes on day 2. They cleared themselves, and haven't come back. Still getting it tuned on Saturday though. I wonder what kind of hp I'll come up with?
Old 10-20-2005, 06:04 PM

I'm looking for 385rwhp. Car is a beast now. Soooooooo Close to Sat for my tune too.
Old 10-20-2005, 07:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

congrats on the install..... we cant have enough fast f-bodys in san diego!

post up those dyno numbers ASAP!
Old 10-23-2005, 06:00 PM

I got my tune Sat, but no dyno time yet. Any #'s on yours ?

Dave.
Old 10-23-2005, 06:19 PM
12 Second Club

I just installed a 224 cam in my '98 last night. I showed up at a Zeeya's and we had the new cam installed in less than 1 hour. The job that I absolutely hated was the spring swap. The entire job took us about 9 hours, with 8hrs being the spring swap. We may have gotten done sooner but we lost our spring tool and had to make one. And then when we finally got the car all put back together and fired her up, it ran like crap and backfired like crazy! Turned out that my tired butt had put the passenger side coil packs on backwards!