Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad Compression or Seals.......or am i just paranoid?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2005, 12:20 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad Compression or Seals.......or am i just paranoid?

02 Z28, Cold Air and Lid, FLP LT's w/ORY, 8mm SpiroPro Wires and NGK TR55's. AND NO TUNE! Did all this about 1 1/2 years ago.

I've noticed that when i'm at a red light or just stopped that it smokes a lil bit, white smoke......not that much but enough and i see it out of my rear hatch when i'm waitin at lights and its dark out.
*Is it possible that it's just a result of running rich since i don't have a tune yet? which i will probably go get soon either way cuz it seems that could worsen the problem.
*Or is it probably bad compression or valve seals?
*Should i check my spark plugs and see if they seem to oily or dark or whatever it is i'm suppose to check for? and if they are what could that mean?

Also i have the normal LS1 that burns oil......noticed the low oil light came on after about 2,000 miles the last time so i added a quart and then added another quart about 1-2000 miles later. I was using Mobil 1 10w30 full synthetic. I changed my oil about 2-3 weeks ago and decided to use castrol syntec 10w40 this time and it does seem to be running smoother but i also noticed the piston slap seems to have gotten worse.
*Is the louder piston slap normal for using a thicker oil?

Let me know ur thoughts, i think i missed something but i'll figure it out.
Old 10-19-2005, 04:18 PM
Staging Lane

Anybody? anything?
Old 10-19-2005, 05:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

syntec makes most engines louder. It did mine. Its possible it could just be an affect of you running rich from not getting it tuned. I'd go ahead and pull a plug and see what it looks like, you'll be able to tell if your running rich, oily or what by lookin at the plug.
Old 10-19-2005, 08:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

white smoke is coolant. prob have a head gasket leaking. if smoke is blue its oil, and back is fuel. have you had to add any coolant latley? the 10w40 should help with the oil burn. are you sure your smoke was white?? what was the temp out side? you should not be running rich enough to smoke with out a tune with the things you have.
Old 10-20-2005, 05:01 PM
Staging Lane

The syntec=louder piston slap i do remember readin so i'm not soo worried about that......am gonna change to amsoil once i figure out how to get it.

The coolant/leaking head gasket idea........everything thats done to the car was done all done within a month of eachother and nothin new since then.....that was about 16,000 miles ago. Bout 1 1/2 years. BUT back to the coolant/leaking head gasket.....i would think my car would have overheated by now no? never added coolant but then again i never checked it so maybe i should. I'll let u know what happens but i would think it woulda overheated by now.
Old 10-20-2005, 05:19 PM
TECH Addict

check the plugs, check your coolant level. check the oil and see if it looks milky or if its clean. thats alot of oil consumption though.