Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil still leaking from bell housing after replacing main seal

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2005, 11:00 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question oil still leaking from bell housing after replacing main seal

I recently installed new spec clutch, (stage 3) along with alum f/w. Prior to the install, I noticed a very small amount of oil coming out of the bottom of the bell housing. After disassembly, I could not tell for sure where the oil was coming from, I guessed it could only come from two places since the only place I found oil was inside the bell housing and on the starter dust cover bolt(strange). The two places I guessed it could come from was the rear main seal or the back engine cover gasket. I replaced rear seal and put it back together, Have 800 miles on it now and I noticed today there was oil again coming from the bottom of the bell housing (motor oil). Anyone got an idea what might be going on here?? 02 ss 7900 miles on car
Old 10-23-2005, 04:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

are you sure the oil pan dosen't have a small crack in it?
Old 10-23-2005, 04:39 PM
Teching In

No I'm not sure, but it only leaks when engine is running and under load. I heard maybe check the oil pressure sendind unit? I guess thats possible but I would think you would see oil on the side of the block
Old 10-24-2005, 08:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you use the special tool to get the new gasket in. They are almost impossible to get in correctly without it.
Old 10-24-2005, 11:15 AM
"All Motor 9 Second club member"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bet it's not leaking from the rear main seal. The rear timing cover has a repuation for causing slow misterious oil leaks like you are describing. It's very hard to pinpoint even with the tranny out and looking directly at the cover with good light.

Some claim that the head of the bolts under the rear timing cover actually contact the cover and prevent a good seal. Some also say that a slight nick in the gasket or aluminum on the cover has caused their oil drip issue. It does look like a rear main seal leak, but the oil is coming from the edge of the rear timing cover and the rear main seal will be dry.

I'm like you. The slightest oil leak drives me nuts. Well good luck to ya. Let us know what you find.
Old 10-25-2005, 07:22 AM
Teching In

I feel your pain, I'm fighting a leak in the same place, same symptoms, only mine is more severe than yours. I too thought my pan might be cracked, so new oil pan and gasket...still leaks. Ok, only one other place it can be, rear cover gasket and rear main...still leaks. Ok, let's do this per the manual..., new rear oil galley plug, new rear cover gasket, new rear main seal, new oil pan gasket - all at the same time. Aligned per the service manual. Used the straight edge to align the pan, used the pan with no gasket to align the rear cover, seal is centered... still leaks... Above the bell housing is dry, just coming out of the bell housing... SUCKS!!!!
Old 10-25-2005, 10:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you oil the seal or put it in dry?

If the pcv isn't hooked up right, crankcase pressure can cause oil to seep out around the seal.

Quick Reply: oil still leaking from bell housing after replacing main seal