Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Your advice:
Ship it back
57.14%
Fix it yourself
42.86%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Help me decide: Return failed mailorder shortblock or fix it myself?

Old 11-01-2005, 02:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help me decide: Return failed mailorder shortblock or fix it myself?

I need some advice on whether to return a shortblock for repair or fix it myself.

My mailorder shortblock died after 30miles. Why it failed is up in the air. If it's a parts problem the vendor will replace the parts. If it's not a parts problem, than it's not their problem. I think it's a parts problem and the vendor seems undecided.

The vendor would like to decide if it's a parts problem or my problem by physically examining the shortblock. That means I'd have to ship the shortblock to the vendor. I can fix it myself by replacing pistons and honing the block locally for about $600. If I fix it myself, round trip shipping cost can be avoided.

If it's not a parts problem, I'm estimating pistons ($550), block work ($100), assembly ($500), and shipping ($385). So $1,535 if the vendor fixes it.

Is it worth the risk to ship it back? It's $0 vs. $600 vs. $1,500.
Old 11-01-2005, 02:50 PM
TECH Addict

Piston damage is almost always your fault. Our shop would not cover it.
Old 11-01-2005, 02:54 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe you should give us some detail on exaclty what happened. Not sure exactly what it failed means. Did it just die, Did you have any problems with it before it failed?& etc. have you ran any leak down tests on the cylinders? Have you checked any thing that could be a possibilty. What do you think failed? Could you not pull it out, try to find the cause first, then if it is parts, then send it back? Thats what I would try to do, figure out whats wrong first then that may make youe decision easier.
Old 11-01-2005, 03:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine/402563-strongest-best-designed-pistons-15-psi.html

Same motor?

Don't waste your time, you'll end up paying for it.
Old 11-01-2005, 03:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by y2khawk
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=402563Same motor?

Same motor.

That's what I'm worried about. The 30mile motor was $5K (unplanned expense) after installation. Now I have to do the same thing plus fix refresh the heads.
Old 11-01-2005, 04:00 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by y2khawk
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=402563

Same motor?

ahh, it makes since now. Im going to have to agree with y2khawk, I wouldnt even bother sending it back. You might as well fix it or pay someone to fix it.
Old 11-04-2005, 03:19 PM
7 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you built the first shortblock, build the 3rd block and get a new fuel system.
Phil
Old 11-04-2005, 08:52 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Z'mnypit
ahh, it makes since now. Im going to have to agree with y2khawk, I wouldnt even bother sending it back. You might as well fix it or pay someone to fix it.
Yep, same as above.. that motor was detonated. You'll be out more money sending it back. Fix it yourself and get a GOOD tuner to fix your tune before you kill another engine.
Old 11-27-2005, 11:40 AM
rjw
TECH Apprentice

Location: Tinker till it blows, then back it off a notch, maybe!!

May be sounding redundant, but send it back. If they won't cover it, then get it back and do it yourself AGAIN.

I've been following your progress, including some emails. Listen to what is being said and FIX your fuel problem otherwise, it will just happen again.

Interestingly, I've been researching piston material and while NOTHING can withstand the detonation that occcurred, personally, I would go with the 2618 rather than the 43xx that Mahle uses.

Also, if you like the dish, then try Wisecos. Otherwise you are back to Diamonds or some others.

I also think that you HAVE to switch tuners.

Good luck with it...
Old 11-27-2005, 10:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

based on your description of the damage it seems like a tuning prob. and not a mech. prob. pistons dont have to melt for it to detonate. did the damage blow the top ring land? if it did then maybe the piston in your application may have to short of a compression height. stock LS come with 1.350 comp. height with bout .008,-.010 "out the hole" anything less than 1.350 c.h. would be more prone to break if it detonates do you know how to measure comp. height? 9.245 - 1/2 stroke - rod length = piston comp. height i say rebuild it yourself, it seems like that would be the cheapest way.
Old 11-27-2005, 10:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

After TSP offered to check it out and return it at no cost to me, I decided to ship it back. That way they can measure everything themselves. TSP arranged pickup and it went out last Monday (11/21).

It wasn't retuned immediately after install since I wanted some part-throttle break-in miles on it before flogging it on the dyno. I ruled out the existing tune as it worked on the old motor for 25Kmile at 14psi, and the new motor went 30miles at less than 10psi, and the motor let loose at part throttle. No changes in the setup except -8.6cc partial dish to -9cc full dish. The only reason the tune would be to blame is if the new pistons caused massive knock where the old pistons did not, and the timing couldn't be pulled back far enough.

Last edited by blu00rdstr; 11-28-2005 at 01:59 PM.
Old 01-04-2006, 08:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

More than one of you asked me for an update, so I thought I might post it here.

The failed motor arrived back at TSP first week of December. They took measurements of the motor and shipped the pistons to Mahle. I still haven't heard back on the measurements, I'd like to see if they jive with the measurements I've taken. Also I'm now waiting on two companies in a waiting chain, TSP and Mahle. At this point it doesn't seem either company really has a motivation for prioritizing this.

So far, installed the new TSP motor in October which failed, weighed my options in November, returned the motor to TSP in December when pistons shipped from TSP to Mahle.

Right now I'm wishing I'd have fixed it myself, it'd be on the road already. I think I need to seek advice on California guidelines on mailorder returns and warranties.

So far I've burned $5,000 and have a car on blocks since October. It was already down beginning in September.

Search this Thread