Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WOT noise, How bad is it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2005, 02:25 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question WOT noise, How bad is it?

I have a 98 TA M6 with just exhaust and a lid and thermostat and a moderate tune, whenever I go for a WOT run around 5k rpm it starts to make some engine internal rattle is my assumption. It doesnt really sound like a engine mount or tranny mount gone loose it could be but I was wondering more internal what it could be. It kinda acts like if I keep my foot into it that it will rattle apart or blow. Which i wouldnt like to see.. I dont get it much WOT now for this reason more because I cant afford something to take a **** on me.. I dont even take it to my shift point anymore now I shift at 5k just to make sure, anybody have any useful suggestions or corrective actions to take ? Thanks.

Nick
Old 11-03-2005, 03:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds like you may be describing detonation....... what octane are you running?
Old 11-03-2005, 03:18 PM
TECH Regular

ive been running 91 (highest pump gas in Denver, CO) with octane boost sometimes... as well as sometimes race gas at track... how could i troubleshoot to make sure it is or isnt detonation and if so how do i go about fixing this....sum help greatly appreciated TECHS.... thanks guys.

NICK
Old 11-03-2005, 04:41 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Scan it and check for knock retard. How much timing is in the tune? Who did the tune. Unless you're using torco, you're wasting money on the octane booster.
Old 11-03-2005, 05:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

How many miles on car, your stock springs may be tuckered out and the valves are floating.
Old 11-04-2005, 10:54 AM
TECH Regular

I have only 28k miles on the motor and im not sure about the tune, they did it (they meaning previous owner) before I bought it.
Old 11-04-2005, 11:04 AM
12 Second Club

What gear does it do it in? When does it do it (under 2500, over 2500)?
Old 11-04-2005, 12:30 PM
TECH Regular

it happens at WOT at and above 4k...thru 6k.....i dont even take it to 6 anymore i shift at beginning of 5 because im worried of cause more damage, from may be wrong... I was wondering if a catch can would help me out , I was thinking maybe I am detonating because of oil into the chamber. Not sure though, also what kind of fuel cleaner would be the best as well as maybe an oil stabilizer, I havnt done a leakdown or compression test yet. But since Ive gotten the car I was wondering If some of my rings were bad because I also get blue smoke at WOT as well... Im not too sure on the problems that lie in my motor, so any assitance or direction would be greatly appreciated. thanks...
Nick
Old 11-04-2005, 12:53 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by dub.ya.es.SICK
it happens at WOT at and above 4k...thru 6k.....i dont even take it to 6 anymore i shift at beginning of 5 because im worried of cause more damage, from may be wrong... I was wondering if a catch can would help me out , I was thinking maybe I am detonating because of oil into the chamber. Not sure though, also what kind of fuel cleaner would be the best as well as maybe an oil stabilizer, I havnt done a leakdown or compression test yet. But since Ive gotten the car I was wondering If some of my rings were bad because I also get blue smoke at WOT as well... Im not too sure on the problems that lie in my motor, so any assitance or direction would be greatly appreciated. thanks...
Nick

Are you sure that the smoke is blue? Is it black? I doubt the rings are bad...maybe valve seals but a car rarely smokes blue on WOT unless the rings are really f^ed up are the valve seals are non exsistant. Besides, if they were that bad it would smoke on start up and idle. Change you pcv valve first and if you want put a catch can...it cant hurt and what $100 and an hour.
Old 11-04-2005, 02:43 PM
11 Second Club

I had a similar problem and first I changed valve springs but it didn't help. After that I went for a tune and it's all gone. It was detonation. Fuel trims were part of the problem. Don't ask me the specifics because I don't know. I just know the guy used LS1 Edit to reprogram and then used a scanner to see what was going on through the RPMs & at WOT. Voila!
Old 11-04-2005, 02:50 PM
TECH Regular

Anybody in the Denver Colorado area that has autotap or ls1edit let me know...I have already gotten a tune for my car it wasnt nothing big but they told me for some reason my car was so far off the charts is what they said, but it didnt seem like that when i bought.. Like it didnt feel that messed up before the tune and it didnt feel that different or run much different after the tune. Also i dont believe it listed the A/F readings on my dyno paper. Ill look.. I did however gain about 20 ft lb's as well as rwhp.. but I am not sure waht they did.... so you think I should do my pcv valve , what other corrective actions could I take...is Seafoam worth it?...and is it Easy? I was gonna maybe try some Lucas Oil stabilizer to see if the rings could seat better and maybe get rid of my smoke issue, I think its blue smoke and the tune shop thought so also...Besides I know its not coolant and im pretty sure its not fuel...So i think its oil burning...I go thru a qt of oil every 1000miles roughly which is pretty normal Im assuming..Let me know what you think I should do....Thanks guys..
Old 11-04-2005, 03:08 PM
12 Second Club

I suggest getting a catch can and changing the pcv valve to try and solve you oil consumtion issue (good to have anyway). Who tuned your car? Pinging comes from either bad gas or the tune. Try a different gas station, preferaly a name brand like BP or Sunoco. If that doesnt fix anything, your tune may be a little off.
Old 11-04-2005, 03:58 PM
12 Second Club

I had a similar problem, from 4500 and up it almost sounded like something was rattling or flying around under the hood. Maybe not flying around but it sounded like when something gets stuck in a vacuum cleaner hose. That might sound wrong at first but whatever. Anyways, I got it tuned and the problem was gone. Whats really crazy was I had a moth stuck to one of my MAF sensor poles.......And yes, I do run it with a filter...wtf?
Old 11-08-2005, 07:15 AM
11 Second Club

I don't think using a quart of oil every 1K miles is normal. I'm running 5 w 30 full syn & mine used 1 qt after I had 7500 miles on the oil. You say you only have 28K miles on the engine. Sounds like a rebuild. My experience on total rebuilds is old small blocks, but I believe on the LS1 the crosshatching of the cylinders for ring seat is more critical than the old stuff. It may not have been done properly. The end gap on the rings may be off. Worn valve guides? You could also have bad seals on the intakes which would pull oil into the combustion chamber. Who knows? When you buy something that has been rebuilt by a previous owner, you just don't know what the heck you're getting. Have you done a compression test & leakdown test? I feel for you. I hope it's something simple and it works out for you.
Old 11-08-2005, 01:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

easiest way to check for detonation: run it until its almost empty, then put 5 gallons of race (100+ octane) gas in it, there should be a station somewhere near you that has 100 unleaded. If its gone after that, you have detonation. Scanning is more accurate but not everyone has the means to do it.