Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will this Cam/Heads Pack work...

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2005, 10:57 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another question, sorry everyone haha....but is it That big of a difference between the 114 LSA and the 112 LSA on say the F12....
Old 11-11-2005, 05:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Its all based on what you personally want. The 112 wil have a more lopey Idle, but the 114 is 'usually' better for an auto because it creates more vacuum. The power would be the same, but the 114 would peak a little later in the curve. A 112 will work fine for an auto, just make sure its tuned well. It's all in the tune.
Also, check out JRP's cam guide at the top of the Internal Engine forum page, it'll answer ALOT of your questions and then some.
Good luck!
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine/327734-cam-guide.html
Old 11-11-2005, 09:23 AM
TECH Regular

thanks everyone for all the help, i appreciate it all.
Old 11-11-2005, 10:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The LSA (read Overlap) probably has more affect on driveability and low-end power off-idle when choosing between F12 and F13 (assuming somewhat recklessly that the lobes are the same), because the differences between the durations are more noticeable at high rpms than low. You mentioned you want the rough idle (and why not, brother?!), the biggest affect on idle between all three cams F11-F13 is the LSA (overlap). At the High end of RPM you'll make more HP with the higher cam number, but as mentioned above you'll want a different stall speed. Personally, I like the F-13 112+4, but I have an M6... You'd be happy with any of the cams, but what it sounds like you want is the F-11 LSA 114+? and the idle speed as low as she'll hold. You won't have to change anything else in the drive train. You might dyno with higher power going F13 or F12, but it'd all be the high end of RPM, so ask if you're willing to give up 10-20 hp at 6300-6800 rpm for earlier peak hp and not having to mess with the drive train.
Old 11-12-2005, 10:44 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks man, about the rough idle thing, of course I want it, my drag car is cammed out the *** as it is('88 Trans Am) running 6.50's in the 1/8th.......but the thing is, I'm in Virginia, where absolutely nothing is legal. Any modication to exhaust is illegal where I live, you cant even have an Advance Auto tip on there without getting a ticket....window tint legal limit is 50%....there's so many laws....I've been very, very lucky with gutted cats and the Magnaflow catback by not getting a ticket yet, but I'm real easy around town and stuff, and every cop is watchin usually....small town, my high school has 265 students, 8-12th grade...............thats why I dont want the rough idle and want to probably get the F11 for now with the fair idle...
Old 11-13-2005, 08:20 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

Hey man. Must be pretty sweet being this much involved in cars at your age. I am also like you. I just turned 17 a few days ago. I have a 99 TA auto. Im starting to finish my bolt ons here soon with 3600 stall, LTs, ls6 intake. Than after research im going to save for a turbo set up i decided. However i researched a lot of heads/cam as thats what i wanted to do when i started out. Ive heard great things from the MS3. Its a very big cam but still streetable ive heard. Makes a ton of power and loves the spray if you ever get into that. Just an option. If iwas going heads/cam or cam only, id pick up the MS3. Hope this helps and its cool to know others my age are into this stuff also and knowledgable!

Featuring 6 different turbo kits for your F-body!
Check us out on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed
Old 11-13-2005, 10:55 AM
TECH Regular

Thanks man, nice to know other people my age are into it too..........I've been going to bracket races every race of the season with my dad since I was 12, got me a car built, and have been racing since 4 days after I got my license. Qualified for the Div. 2 IHRA Bracket finals down in Jackson, SC my first year, and went down there to finish 2nd out of 600+ cars.....so things have been going pretty good for now. But good luck on the turbo setup, sounds sweet man...