Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice on Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2005, 06:59 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on Rebuild

Spun a rod bearing a few months back and have been strapped for cash ever since. Finally able to afford a rebuild and am needing a list on what exactly will be needed.

First of all, motor only had 58k. Cylinders looked fine when the heads were off the car, and the oil pan was dropped. Motor had ARP rod bolts in it when it spun the rod bearing.

Question is exactly this.. what all is needed.

What needs to be done to the rods? Depending.

New rings?

can I reuse stock pistons? If so what is needed with that.

Can the crank just be turned?

What exactly will I need bearing wise, rods and mains, cam bearings?

Forged piston / rod combo is out the door for me, no need nor any desire.

Since the car had arp rod bolts when it died, can these be reused, or is it a good idea to throw new ones in there?

Along with all the other bolts in the shortblock.. what is needed.

Already have the new gaskets for the heads, new head bolts, timing cover gasket.. yadda yadda left over extra from a prior purchase.

Car had an ls6 oil pump when it died, does this need to be replaced?

Lifters?

Timing chain?

Thanks for your help
Old 11-11-2005, 08:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I would tare down the block and have it honed and new cam bearings put in. You can reuse the pistons, and I would put new rings in them. The rods can be reused as well.You might have to replace the two rods on the journal that spun the bearing. I would get new main and rod bearings. Take the crank to a machine shop they can tell you how much work needs to be done to clean it up. Was the oil pump the reason it spun a bearing? For the cost I would throw a ported oil pump in and at least a ls2 timing chain. Check the lifters verry good for any damage or metal stuck in them. Also if you ever want to cam the car it would be easy. Good luck.
Old 11-11-2005, 09:23 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by conan
I would tare down the block and have it honed and new cam bearings put in. You can reuse the pistons, and I would put new rings in them. The rods can be reused as well.You might have to replace the two rods on the journal that spun the bearing. I would get new main and rod bearings. Take the crank to a machine shop they can tell you how much work needs to be done to clean it up. Was the oil pump the reason it spun a bearing? For the cost I would throw a ported oil pump in and at least a ls2 timing chain. Check the lifters verry good for any damage or metal stuck in them. Also if you ever want to cam the car it would be easy. Good luck.

Car had an FM14 cam, ported ls6 oil pump. Oil pump was making fine pressure until the bearing spun. 40+ at idle, and 60wot.

Was shut down immediately after oil pressure dropped and we heard knocking. Possible that I can just reuse the rods that were on the journal with the spun bearing?

Also. How much am I looking at for all of this?
Old 11-11-2005, 09:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Just send your block as a core and get a fresh professional forged built.
You can do that for under 3K or as low as $2100 from Lingenfelter with exchange.

I would call LME and talk to Bryan, he will hook you up good. From my experience best parts for the buck and excellent customer service.

Building it yourself WILL cost more.
Old 11-11-2005, 09:45 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
Just send your block as a core and get a fresh professional forged built.
You can do that for under 3K or as low as $2100 from Lingenfelter with exchange.

I would call LME and talk to Bryan, he will hook you up good. From my experience best parts for the buck and excellent customer service.

Building it yourself WILL cost more.

Out of the question. Ive already considered getting futral, or HPE to build me a forged shortblock. 1k is about the budget for this rebuild.
Old 11-11-2005, 09:56 AM
On The Tree

send me an email I have a servicable crank and as many rod's pistons as you need, laying around for $40 + shipping.

More Than Zero
Old 11-11-2005, 12:31 PM
Launching!

buy the two hi perf LS1 books in ebay!