Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just had my Patriot Stage 2 59cc's flowed

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2005 | 09:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by xfactor_pitbulls
Not all heads fall off at .600 It really depends on the valve job, valve angle relationship, and bowl shape. My heads dont EVER fall off. They only raise alittle from .600-.700, but they keep on going.

Brandon
I guess youre right. Its worthless without knowing the flow at each tenth. Maybe its only 1 cfm less flow at 500 than i is at 700.
Old 11-16-2005 | 01:38 PM
On The Tree

Wow I didn't know I'd start such an uproar. Jesus this turned into a heated debate. When I got the heads I was told they were "ready to bolt on" but I decided to have them checked out just in case. Thank god I did because the springs were rusted and pitted and the valve guides were totally fucked. I was told GM specs should have no more than .002" of clearance and they were all between .004 and above (the gauge didn't read past .005"). The guy from the shop called me yesterday and said he was done with one head then told me the flow numbers. I will get the full flow sheet on both heads when I pick them up Thursday. I'm not trying to discredit Patriot, I think they're a good deal for what you pay. I am a little pissed off that when I bought the heads I was told they were fine when they quite obviously are not.
Old 11-16-2005 | 01:47 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by WS6snake-eater
Now that's service!

I totally agree!!
Old 11-16-2005 | 02:19 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ehirst83
I am a little pissed off that when I bought the heads I was told they were fine when they quite obviously are not.
Well then you need to take that up with whoever you bought the heads from, which judging by your 1st post wasnt Patriot.
Old 11-16-2005 | 02:22 PM
On The Tree

I did buy them used from someone here on the site. I haven't tried to go back after them beacuse I doubt that I'd get anywhere.
Old 11-16-2005 | 02:55 PM
Banned

You can say that all you want....the last several sets customers brought me to install on their car, I had flowed before installing and they were always 20+ cfm down from the advertised #'s...

For $999 you can get TEA stage 1's which blow patriots out of the water.
Old 11-16-2005 | 02:56 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ehirst83
I did buy them used from someone here on the site. I haven't tried to go back after them beacuse I doubt that I'd get anywhere.
That is true, It was just starting to sound like Patriot heads arent any good. When in reality they started out as a Patriot head before you had work done to them by another shop. Honestly if I was you, & the flow #'s are what your guy claimed then I would send them to gunnar & let them see whats up, They offered for free. Cant beat that in my book. Good luck to you!
Old 11-16-2005 | 03:45 PM
FormerVendor

Our heads come with a 100% money back pre installation guarantee. If our heads do not flow within a reasonable amount of what the enclosed flow sheet reads, we will either repair, replace, or give a full refund on the heads. We would think that if "several" customers had a flow issue, we would hear from these customers instantly.
Old 11-16-2005 | 03:55 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Gunnar@Patriot
We would think that if "several" customers had a flow issue, we would hear from these customers instantly.
I was thinking the same thing. & as quick as everyone is to bash on patriot you would also think you have read about that on the board somewhere.. I could be wrong.
Old 11-16-2005 | 03:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

im a noob when it comes to head porting, but why would flow at .700 matter if your lift gets no where near that? give me some usable numbers, like .4 .5 .6, etc
Old 11-16-2005 | 04:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

That is some bad *** service, it would be worth doing before you put them on the car.
Old 11-16-2005 | 05:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by VTESPEED
You can say that all you want....the last several sets customers brought me to install on their car, I had flowed before installing and they were always 20+ cfm down from the advertised #'s...

For $999 you can get TEA stage 1's which blow patriots out of the water.

Wait your saying stage 1 tea out flow Patriots stage 2? Do you have flow sheets to compare the 2?
Old 11-16-2005 | 06:56 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by The Pipe
ehirst, thats too bad people are so blunt with the comments on your flow numbers. I do have to say that a 2.000 valve with a good valve job will flow that much without touching the port. I definitely give you credit for taking your heads to Chapmans. They do pretty good work.
I would be pretty unhappy with Patriot. Sounds like they don't care about their reputation. No matter what valve job you put on those heads it won't go from 300 to 278.
A stock LS6 head with the right valve job blended into the short turn will flow 280+ on a 3.900 bore @ 28 inches. (aftermarket valve, nothing trick)
After narrowing the guide you are up to 290+. With LS6 heads, less is more.
You can get 320+ (3.900 bore 28 in.) out of a 2.000 valve stock port at under 230 cc easily.
The guy bought a set of used heads. He has no clue what was done to the heads before he got them. Not to defend Patriot, but saying "I would be pretty unhappy with Patriot. Sounds like they don't care about their reputation" makes you look like an idiot. How much are your 320+cfm " (3.900 bore 28 in.) out of a 2.000 valve stock port at under 230 cc easily" heads and where are they?????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????? Maybe one of these heads are on Mamo's head list....
Old 11-16-2005 | 07:01 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by The Pipe
Flow numbers are important at all lift points. Saying that flow within .100 of peak cam lift isn't important is just retarded. I showed I don't know anything? How many race winning heads do you have? And why did he attack that kid about his heads? At least he took them somewhere good to have them worked on. And you are right, you can't tell how a head will perform just from flow @ .700. But saying that low and mid numbers are important and peak isn't is ignorant. The valve sees high lift twice per cycle too. Give me a cam and tell me what lift it doesn't hit twice.

A cam with .581 of lift is not going to hit .700 twice, or once. Or .581 twice, only once. With the cam he is running the flow #'s @ .7 are completley irrelivant.
Old 11-16-2005 | 07:12 PM
TECH Junkie

The test is still BS because only a handful of all out race heads are gonna still be picking up flow at .700.

I will have PP heads on my car once my money is straight and I will put a plug in for them any chance I get. I wont tell what Gunnar did for a friend of mine on here because everyone would be expecting him to do it for them but it was way way above and beyond anything you could ever dream of. The amazing thing is that it was offered to the customer by Gunnar without the customer even aware of what was going on. That pretty much shut my eyes to the competiion right there. Well that, and the fact that my friend has run their heads for 2 years without any trouble and he is the quickest and fastest LS1 F body around my area.
Old 11-16-2005 | 07:36 PM
12 Second Club

does'nt matter what cfm at a given lift #. I would take #'s from .100 upto my max advertised lift then average that. thats the flow I would be looking at. average cfm, not cfm flow at a one specific lift is what I would be concerned about.
buying used is totally different game. he stated that rust was invlolved so any grinding invlolved would change charactoristics of flow. plus PP only advertise's flow upto .600 lift . are they made for 700 cfm flow? only PP can answer you that question.
send them to PP and se what #'s they get before they work on them. man they will do it for free so what do u have to loose. then all # numbers can be posted here and see if you have a good used set of PP heads.

fuerzaws6
Old 11-16-2005 | 08:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WS6snake-eater
Now that's service!
Wow, you aren't kidding!
Old 11-16-2005 | 11:07 PM
Launching!

I was the seller of these heads, so let me give a little background on them. The heads were installed when my car had 48,000 miles on it and the heads were removed when the car had 56,000 miles on it. So they heads have a hair over 8,000 miles on them. The heads/cam combo was the very popular TSP 231/237 cam and these heads. The car saw the track a total of 1 time with one run cause i fried my clutch. It wasn't driven excessively hard either. I don't see how heads with this little mileage and very little abuse could have had bad valve guides and needed a valve job, but maybe I'm wrong. Now don't get me wrong im not saying Patriot is at fault i have no clue who is at fault weither its the shop that reworked the heads telling a fib or something on Patriots side. I'm just chiming in to give a little background on the heads, because they were in no way every abused and I am being accused of selling the heads when i knew something was wrong. I had/have no way of knowing if the guides were bad or the valve job was bad, but something isnt right for them to have this low of mileage and have the problems as suggested.
Old 11-16-2005 | 11:09 PM
Launching!

also if your saying why were the removed so quick? Its because i installed a 408
Old 11-17-2005 | 06:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Bottom line guys, when you buy used, it is as is. End of story.

you should have sent those heads back to PP for a refresher. I've seen Gunnar do that so many times, even for free sometimes.