Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS6 Swap into an SS

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2005, 05:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS6 Swap into an SS

Hey guys..well my motor is currently 116,500 miles, and i was really considering building a motor, but now im thinking if i can find one, i might just put in a used Z06 motor..it would have to be an 03 or 04 though. But i was wondering how hard is it to do this? and is it a good choice. I plan on keeping my LS1 and building it up and still having the LS6 motor put in the car. What could i be looking at power wise, with a pretty decent sized aftermarket cam, full boltons in an 03-04 LS6? Basically im trying to find if what i wanna do is a good idea, and if anyone has done it if they could help me out, and give me some info like if they liked it or not, would they do it again, all that stuff.. thanks ahead of time everyone
JacobK
Old 11-15-2005, 06:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Power wise the the heads and intake are the only befits to add more power. It may be slightly above a ls1 if you already have a ls6 intake. I don't think it is worth the effort. I would just spend the money and buy forged rods and pistons for your current motor.
Old 11-15-2005, 07:01 PM
Launching!

Dropping in an LS6 would not make sense. We've might have all heard that LS6 blocks are stronger than LS1 blocks but i have just as much faith in an LS1 holding a 250 shot than an LS6 holding a 250 you see what i mean. It all comes down to the heads and cam (if you havent already put an LS6 mani. on your car)

Now this is just my opinion, but if I were in your position I'd probably just maybe put a stroker crank, a little higher compression forged pistons/rods, and a badass heads/cam setup. I think you'd be looking at close to
485-500rwhp PLUS the reassurance that it can hold a bigass shot of spray. Make sure you get some injectors too. Hell, for that matter throw in an LSX or LPE manifold. That thing will be sick.

But as far as mileage goes, I doubt anything has a scratch in your motor besides maybe your main bearings. You can easily put some new bearings and rings in.....but why would you want to do that .....good luck man
Old 11-15-2005, 07:24 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Jimbo likes the spray i can tell.

Yeah, but overall your money would be 'wiser' spent on forged parts.
Old 11-15-2005, 07:31 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
Jimbo likes the spray i can tell.

Yeah, but overall your money would be 'wiser' spent on forged parts.
Im growing more fond of spray "now that im learning how to control it....."

No, im just sharing with him that, in case he wants to put spray on it, those forged parts will hold him as long as his air/fuel ratio is comfortable.
Old 11-15-2005, 07:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

well see my "goal" for the car is that i want to eventually turbo the car down the line. And also this car is gonna be driven. right now its my only car i have right now, but even when i get my beater, this car is still gonna be driven alot. I want something thats gonna be strong, fun to drive, sound like a beast(nice H/C setup) and something that is reliable. im not really into spraying my car, but i guess it would be good if i ever decided i want too.
Old 11-15-2005, 09:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

so what do u guys think of that for a goal and where should i go with it?