Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

g5x4 cam card?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2005, 03:42 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Predator Z, we always meet each other in threads like this. There was no reason to post the specs. If a customer wishes, I tell them the specs, and what I think about degreeing. Some people need to know more information than others based off of what they are doing, but we have degreed 10s of cams, and every single one has come with in 2-3 tenths of where comp put it. Gomer can testify to this, as we have both come to the same conclusion that they do a great job of quality control after putting in over 500 cams between us.

Some people dont care, they just want to go fast and specs mean nothing.

If you purchase a cam and want specs, you can ask me.
Old 12-07-2005, 03:48 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
I just recently wanted a G5X1 and I requested a cam card with the cam. The response was that LG doesn't release the cam card with their cams. I just had to trust them.
So I replied that no cam card, no purchase as I need it for degreing purposes.
They said "dot to dot".
That is BS by any means.

G5X3
234/242, .600/.610 112/114 LSA (not so anymore )

This is not a matter of respect, it is a matter of doing things properly. The X3 has been out for awhile and hiding specs from purchasers is

If I pay my $$, I expect respect myself and any respectable installer knows that you should degree your cam no matter how big it is.
yes!!!!!! i've been waiting for someone to stick it to the man.....i think it's not to release specs period, but especially to a paying customer that's why i have never considered LG despite the power they put down and is why i am going to Futral in a month or so.......much props PREDATOR!!!
Old 12-07-2005, 04:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by slpss9723
yes!!!!!! i've been waiting for someone to stick it to the man.....i think it's not to release specs period, but especially to a paying customer that's why i have never considered LG despite the power they put down and is why i am going to Futral in a month or so.......much props PREDATOR!!!

The g5x3 specs have been around for over a year you just need to know where to look.
I myself am a fan of knowing what I am buying, however I will say this out of respect and to defend LG.
LG has the right to charge what they want and to give the specs if they choose. It is their company and their choice. As a customer you have the option to buy or not to buy. If you dont like the fact that no cam specs are given find another company. If you really want this cam then pay the 25 bucks to have it cam doctored and know what you have.
This debate is silly and has gone on too long. I have never seen LG twist anyones are to buy something from them.
I have NEVER used a LG cam because I like to know what I am buying.
Some people just want to go fast and feel it dosen't really matter what the specs are. I dont think Predator was trying to stick it to the man.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:06 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Louis
Predator Z, we always meet each other in threads like this. There was no reason to post the specs. If a customer wishes, I tell them the specs, and what I think about degreeing. Some people need to know more information than others based off of what they are doing, but we have degreed 10s of cams, and every single one has come with in 2-3 tenths of where comp put it. Gomer can testify to this, as we have both come to the same conclusion that they do a great job of quality control after putting in over 500 cams between us.

he just said he would give the specs out.
is he lying, or are 10000000 ls1 owners?
Old 12-07-2005, 09:13 PM
Retired Street Racer

the X4 isn't much bigger. Like the one other guy said, go with a TREX for a max effort stock cube motor!
Old 12-07-2005, 10:25 PM
FormerVendor

There are 2 max effort 346s in the 9s on motor.

Both of them used the X4 to get there.

See a trend?
Old 12-07-2005, 10:29 PM
10 Second Club

I bought a LG5XB blower cam a few months ago.......didnt get the exact specs......made 50rwhp......love the cam.......I would like to know the specs but its not the end of the world if I dont have them.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I spoke to the guys at LG today and they were nothing short of great. I am still considering going with the g5x4 cam, specs or no specs, it PERFORMS!
Old 12-08-2005, 05:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Louis,
By all means you guys at LG have some outstanding products.
But cams should get a cam card and when it comes to sticking one in MY motor, I do not leave things in the hands of Comp Cam quality control.
It is my motor that will cost me between 5>10k if busted.
So dot to dot is for mass enthusiasts that either do not know how to do it properly, or just have a hail Mary attitude.
When I buy a cam, i do not need a special favour regarding the cam card, it IS and SHOULD be part of the product sold.
Now we both know that specs at .050 tell nothing unless they have the lobe numbers (we both know how many lobes Comp carries), so hidding specs at .050 is futile. (But we've been through this before).

You've seen many of us not buying your cams just because of your policy, how many others do not voice their opinions?
You lost my sale, if this is proper business attitude, think about how much you're loosing in the big picture.

BTW don't take this as an attack on LG, this is merely a side effect of your own policies. Think about that.
Old 12-08-2005, 07:05 AM
Retired Street Racer

See a trend?
The fastest Cam Only car is Rodneys which has a TREX and weighs 200lbs more than Sean and Keith. If he put heads on the car, it would be faster than any LG cam powered 346. I don't want this to turn into a flame war Louis, I am just giving the facts. Your cams make power and show on the track, which is hard to come by these days. Too many people are caught up in dyno numbers to realize that.

If you want max power and performance, go with a TREX
Old 12-08-2005, 11:13 AM
Launching!

See a trend?
9.95 @ 136 all motor 346 from FMS, i doubt he's using an X4
Old 12-08-2005, 11:15 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JZ'sTA
The g5x3 specs have been around for over a year you just need to know where to look.
I myself am a fan of knowing what I am buying, however I will say this out of respect and to defend LG.
LG has the right to charge what they want and to give the specs if they choose. It is their company and their choice. As a customer you have the option to buy or not to buy. If you dont like the fact that no cam specs are given find another company. If you really want this cam then pay the 25 bucks to have it cam doctored and know what you have.
This debate is silly and has gone on too long. I have never seen LG twist anyones are to buy something from them.
I have NEVER used a LG cam because I like to know what I am buying.
Some people just want to go fast and feel it dosen't really matter what the specs are. I dont think Predator was trying to stick it to the man.
very well put though........
Old 12-08-2005, 03:45 PM
10 Second Club

i talked with LG on the phone avout the x4 cam(i have the x3 now) i was told the specs of the new cam and what i should gain. i've had the x2 and x3 cam from LG,no cam card needed just a faster time slip is all. i think i may try that t-rex in my 402ci in spring of 2007.
Old 12-08-2005, 04:52 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by slpss9723
9.95 @ 136 all motor 346 from FMS, i doubt he's using an X4
Stock short block? 10:1 compression?Is it even Hydraulic?

Didn't think so.
Old 12-08-2005, 05:22 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by mike c.
i talked with LG on the phone avout the x4 cam(i have the x3 now) i was told the specs of the new cam and what i should gain. i've had the x2 and x3 cam from LG,no cam card needed just a faster time slip is all. i think i may try that t-rex in my 402ci in spring of 2007.
T rex a lil small for a stroker?
Old 12-08-2005, 05:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by TJ
T rex a lil small for a stroker?
Not to mention its VE's were meant for stock cubes and designed for max effort on stock heads.
That guy even swapped from a G5X2 to a G5X3 while all he had to do is change head gasket to make even more power.
Man, I need customers just like him.

Last edited by PREDATOR-Z; 12-08-2005 at 05:54 PM.
Old 12-08-2005, 06:34 PM
TECH Resident

Cool

This is too good to miss....
Old 12-08-2005, 06:56 PM
Teching In

People copy cams, we all know this, if you look hard enough there are X2 clones on the market place by sponsors of THIS board. There is no viable intellectual property protection for cams as they are manufactured through a central source (Comp Cams). Therefore, cam specs are a trade secret. Trade secrets are only protected by the confidentiality of the secret; there is no formal protection available (such as trademarks, copyrights, or patents).

In order to preserve the time, effort, and capital invested in development of the cams, LG keeps his cam specs a secret. They are often leaked by people who disagree with this practice, and ruin it for the rest of the community by spreading the specs, allowing vendors to clone the cam, and constituting a need to keep specs a secret.

If your livelihood, your sole source of income was a function of cam sales (as it is in LG’s case) I think you would hold your invested capital as an important commodity and be offended when people take advantage of you and clone your cams.

I am not stating anything new here; the cam works if it is installed dot to dot. The X4 car listed in Louis’ thread was installed dot to dot; hundreds of cars before it were also installed this way. If you want to know the specs to degree your cam and are a paying customer, ASK LOUIS. He has already admitted to telling the specs to customers who would like to know. The average Joe does not need to know specs, and chances are, he wants to know them to put them on the ‘net.

Bottom line, if people did not copy cams, LG would not keep specs a secret, so don’t get angry at the effect, get angry at the cause.
Old 12-08-2005, 07:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Good Doctor, Very well put! I'm sure most people do not actually sit down and put themselves in the opposite shoes to see what they think should and shouldnt be done.

As Louis stated, if you seriously need to know and have it, call and ask. A buddy of mine has his X4 cam and needed to know the specs for his setup....... Louis told him.
Old 12-08-2005, 07:19 PM
CBX
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by stang killer
is that comment really needed
Any specific reasons why you dont like it, or did they kick sand in your ***** by not releasing the specs.
Kick sand in your *****?

Quick Reply: g5x4 cam card?