Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

basic valvetrain upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2005, 11:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default basic valvetrain upgrade

Which aftermarket parts can be used to upgrade stock the valvetrain. Will any aftermarket component last as long as a stock one. I was thinking of Comp Cams 26915 springs with Titanium retainers, hardened pushrods, Comp Cams high energy or pro magnum lifters, and LS2 timing chain. I was also lookong at the Comp Cams Pro magnum Roller Rockers but they not affered in a 1.7 ratio. Don't about valves.
The main purpose for the upgrade is to reduce valvetrain noise, stop bent pushrods, and overrev valvetrain damage. But I also want something that it'll last for years, not like aftermarket suspension that were, according to the manufactuer, intended for "race only".
Old 12-04-2005, 02:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cumbias
Which aftermarket parts can be used to upgrade stock the valvetrain. Will any aftermarket component last as long as a stock one. I was thinking of Comp Cams 26915 springs with Titanium retainers, hardened pushrods, Comp Cams high energy or pro magnum lifters, and LS2 timing chain. I was also lookong at the Comp Cams Pro magnum Roller Rockers but they not affered in a 1.7 ratio. Don't about valves.
The main purpose for the upgrade is to reduce valvetrain noise, stop bent pushrods, and overrev valvetrain damage. But I also want something that it'll last for years, not like aftermarket suspension that were, according to the manufactuer, intended for "race only".
In general stiffer springs create more noise.
The Ti retainers are only going to save about 4 grams over stock.
You'll save more by going to 2002+ Z06 valves
-28 grams intake
-29 grams exh

To my knowledge Comp does make 1.7 rollers because I have some here.
I doubt they will quiet anything down though.
I have no idea what the lifters will do for noise.

Nobody would like hearing this, but honestly the only way to stop the bent pushrods is to swap to an automatic transmission. No rev-limiter will stop it with a manual.
Also honestly, bent pushrods are the best case scenario. If they don't bend, then other parts will fail and could easily drop a valve & damage the head and bottom end.
I'm sorry I do not know an easy answer. Maybe others will offer better info.
Old 12-04-2005, 04:00 AM
TECH Addict

Not sure what you are trying to cure/avoid. Stock cam valvetrains should not be noisy and most bent pushrods are from missing a shift and over driving the engine, not from hitting the rev limiter if it is set at the stock limit.

Most of the noise from upgraded cams comes from the accelerated ramp rates, not from the lifters or rockers.

Is your valvetrain noisy now? If so, how many miles on the car?
Old 12-04-2005, 04:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So what you guys are syaing is to remain stock, and that a bent pushrod is cheaper than breking something else, cool, more money to save. My basic goal was to have a better valvetrain that would work with the stock cam and a mild cam. In LM Performance I found some "package deals" under the engine category, will the one for the stock cam be good?