Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad News from the shop!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2005, 12:08 AM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure I'd do the throttle body bypass if you are driving it in the cold (winter) *puzzled* Its not like that 1 or 2hp, used for racing, will help any with limited traction road surfaces.
Other than that, glad to hear your good to go with no HG to replace.
Old 12-14-2005, 12:11 AM
12 Second Club

it wont hurt. there was a long as thread about the TB bypass mod wont help but wont hurt either, alot of people have done it who drive in cold weather - me included since weather around here is approaching single digits - without a problem.
Old 12-14-2005, 09:48 AM
TECH Addict

yeah i heard different things from different people but this guy is a professional and has been working on these cars for a very long time and i trust he knows what not to do and what to do, when i finally get the money for a cam he was telling me that i will need to upgrade the bolts to ARP bolts since the factory ones wont be able to stand up to the cam and other internal mods. anyone in this area i suggest go to them for your LS1 needs, but the only thing that sucks right now is not having a car and they were gonna tune it today but its SNOWING again and he prolly wont be able to take it out and tune it. got to wait yet another day lol.
Old 12-14-2005, 10:04 AM
SRP
11 Second Club

Well I just finished your tuning this morning Derek. Everything looks great and she runs much better. The car is in bad need for gears and stall though. I couldnt however check the WOT Shift Points due to the weather. When we get the next few decent days of weather we can check them and get her ready to beat....HARD.

Thanks,
Tracey
Old 12-14-2005, 10:30 AM
TECH Addict

yeah i want new gears bad but dont have the funds yet, and i am looking into a fuddle racing torque converter about a 3500 stall. i still cant believe i have the crappy 273 gears but that will change once i get the money lol.
Old 12-15-2005, 06:41 PM
TECH Addict

alright got the car back today and damn feels alot more powerful, sucks that it was raining out so i couldnt get on it and see what she could really do but just taking off i was impressed. thanks to scott racing and performance they did a really good job, i barely press the pedal and she just wants to take off. ported throttle body, tb bypass, bump stop, the tune along with running MAF less which i didnt know you could do but apparently you can, the car is alot more aggressive feeling and powerful. next on the list is a torque converter and upgrade to 373 gears should wake her up some more.
Old 12-17-2005, 04:26 PM
Flossin' twin turbos

many shops do this, your car goes in for a certain thing and the mech ends up telling you that it needs this and that. head gasket jobs are not 1400, so he's trying to put it in your butt when your not looking. take it home check it yourself and see if it is a gasket or condensation. you can fix it yourself for real cheap if you need part #s i can get them for you and prices. tell your mech
Old 12-18-2005, 04:18 PM
SRP
11 Second Club

Just so everyone knows, we ran many tests to come to the conclusion that it was not a head gasket issue. Also the 1400 dollars was to cover everything including parts, head gasket install,oil pump install,tuning,fluids,TB port and to fix the leaking crank seal. We DO NOT and WILL NOT ever take a customers money unless it is warranted and approved by the customer. I got into this for the love of the hobby not the money. As far as our shop rates go, they are lower than anyone in the industry and we take pride in satisfying our customers and making them feel like personal friends not just clients. Its really hard to understand why people cant keep from talking about a situation without hearing the whole story. But hey this is the internet and it is human nature.

BTW Derek I am glad you are happy with your newly improved LS1.
Old 12-18-2005, 05:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

glad you came back and spoke up. there are alot of good shops out there. i have my car in a shop currently that is much like you guys. the ONLY reason they started the shop was for the love of cars. the little bit of money they make just barely pays the bills and maybe a part or two for one of there cars.
Old 12-18-2005, 05:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SRP
Just so everyone knows, we ran many tests to come to the conclusion that it was not a head gasket issue. Also the 1400 dollars was to cover everything including parts, head gasket install,oil pump install,tuning,fluids,TB port and to fix the leaking crank seal. We DO NOT and WILL NOT ever take a customers money unless it is warranted and approved by the customer. I got into this for the love of the hobby not the money. As far as our shop rates go, they are lower than anyone in the industry and we take pride in satisfying our customers and making them feel like personal friends not just clients. Its really hard to understand why people cant keep from talking about a situation without hearing the whole story. But hey this is the internet and it is human nature.

BTW Derek I am glad you are happy with your newly improved LS1.
It would have been nice if the original poster would have mentioned that the 1400 quote was for an entire laundry list of things and not just the head gasket replacement.

SRP, for what its worth I feel that you did an excellent job dealing with a potential bad rep here on the board. It sounds like you have a top notch operation going and I hope others appreciate that you take the time to make sure everything is straight with your customers.
Old 12-18-2005, 05:40 PM
TECH Addict

yeah SRP is a great shop they love F-Bodies and everything to do with them, they treated me like a friend and tyler showed me a bunch of stuff he did to his car and all the other cars that were in the shop. this LT1 they had in there was bad ***, they had custom exhaust on it and damn it was loud. my car is loud but not as loud as this guys, but next on my list is to work on the gears and a torque converter, my car pulls good right now but i cant imagine what it will be like with bigger gears and a 3500 stall converter in it. And no one can talk crap about this shop they are awsome guys and like tracey said there prices are better than anyone else around.
Old 12-18-2005, 05:44 PM
Launching!

if it's the head gasket you should just by a new h/c combo, and take the discount on the labor
Old 12-18-2005, 06:00 PM
TECH Addict

its not like i cant buy parts and have them install them, i took my LS6 oil pump that i bought from a board member and they installed it. so if i bought something from another place they will install it. H/C package is outta my price range right now so im focusing on the gears and then torque converter, or should i go torque converter and then gears???
Old 12-18-2005, 06:05 PM
TECH Addict

convertor then gears
Old 12-18-2005, 06:44 PM
TECH Addict

really, i thought the gears would be a good start bc the converter isnt it matched up to the gear ratio in a certain way or something like that??? or am i just smokin somethin lol.
Old 12-18-2005, 08:49 PM
TECH Addict

you gonna pass that dubie?
Old 12-18-2005, 09:11 PM
TECH Addict

By: Guitsboy, It would have been nice if the original poster would have mentioned that the 1400 quote was for an entire laundry list of things and not just the head gasket replacement.
I did say that was for the whole thing, tune, oil pump and all that. as for ramairstyle00 so i should go with the 3500 stall first.
Old 12-19-2005, 09:00 PM
SRP
11 Second Club

I appreciate your understanding Guits and thanks to everyone who has taken the time to understand and listen. Lets remember that we all do this for the love and the thrill of fast cars and its not any different for people like me. Gears first then torque converter that way the torque converter will function the way it is built since we run only custom built torque converters.
Old 12-20-2005, 04:08 AM
TECH Addict

i haven't seen gears effect performance in an A4 nearly as much as a convertor though... thats my thoughts behind it.
Old 12-20-2005, 05:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Gears then converter