Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

replacing PCV with a breather

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2005, 11:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Default replacing PCV with a breather

I was told this is recommended over a oil catch can to reduce oil consumption.

how is this done?

pics would be good.

Thanks
Old 12-17-2005, 11:18 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,695 Likes on 1,214 Posts

I had that setup for a while on my WS6. I was using a Metco breather in place of the oil fill cap (the whole breather assembly just screwed in like the fill cap would). But even with the PCV disabled I was still consuming some oil.

I tried lots of other things too, like using an updated PCV (smaller orfice with no actual valve inside), verticle mounting of the PCV, and a catch can. But I think my oil useage issues had to do with rings rather than PCV. I was using about a half quart per 800 miles. Not too bad I guess. I never had those issues till after the cam, TC, and other mods were done. My stock Camaro uses no oil at all.
Old 12-17-2005, 11:23 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its not a good idea because the pcv system sucks out all the nasty unburnt fuel and water vapor that collects in the engine.Once you disable it the oil and inside of the engine is gonna turn into a nasty azz mess of acids...not good.A much better way to get rid of the EXCESSIVE BLOW BY is to rering the engine...then nomo problems.The oil catch can method is a patch at best....although it does help some.It doesn't fix the REAL trouble...TOO MUCH BLOWBY.