Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motor Break In Process? (my search is f'ed)

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2005, 02:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BlackHawk T/A
Erm...after a few heat cycles don't you need to get the heads, etc re-torqued before running it hard?
Not that I've heard of. If they are torqued right the first time they shouldn't need to be re-torqued.
Old 12-22-2005, 02:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 777
Not that I've heard of. If they are torqued right the first time they shouldn't need to be re-torqued.
Except for the fact that aluminum expands and contracts quite a bit. I heard of doing this with heads and rocker arms?

You re-torque wheels after 50 miles, why not your motor?
Old 12-22-2005, 02:20 PM
TECH Veteran

The only reference I have ever been able to dig up in any manual or technical data has been for Lycoming and for Continental piston engines for airplanes. Thier recomended break in procedures are much like stated above. I believe it was one hour of increasing rpm and load. After that the engine is ready for service. Thats about How I have done it as well.
Old 12-22-2005, 03:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have never re-torqued my wheels after 50 miles!? Where did you learn that?
Old 12-22-2005, 03:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 12-22-2005, 04:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 383LQ4SS
The only reference I have ever been able to dig up in any manual or technical data has been for Lycoming and for Continental piston engines for airplanes. Thier recomended break in procedures are much like stated above. I believe it was one hour of increasing rpm and load. After that the engine is ready for service. Thats about How I have done it as well.

One I hadn't considered......I'd hate to be flying somewhere and hear the pilot say something like "Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain. Our cruising altitude is 28,000 feet. Today we're breaking in a new engine, so our speed will vary as we fly. If we start dropping out of the sky like a rock, don't worry about it - it'll only be for a few minutes while we follow the break-in procedure......"
Old 12-22-2005, 04:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That would be fun now wouldn't it
Old 12-22-2005, 05:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

1. let it sit and check for bad ****. scan, etc. drive it around the block, going about half way up your powerband.

2. let it sit and check for bad ****. scan, etc. drive it around the block, going about half way up your powerband.

3. let it sit and check for bad ****. scan, etc. drive it around the block, going about half way up your powerband.

4. Change oil. Drive it like you stole it for 500 miles.

5. Enjoy.
Old 12-22-2005, 05:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BlackHawk T/A
Except for the fact that aluminum expands and contracts quite a bit. I heard of doing this with heads and rocker arms?

You re-torque wheels after 50 miles, why not your motor?

because your heads have torque to yeild bolts and usually, you use studs on a hi-pro build up anyway.
Old 12-22-2005, 06:17 PM
Var
On The Tree

All following comments are assuming it's a hi-po engine

Originally Posted by treyZ28
1. let it sit and check for bad ****. scan, etc. drive it around the block, going about half way up your powerband.
i would disagree here just cause i wouldn't rev that high with new valve springs(assuming they're gonna be performance type) until the 3rd heat cycle

2. let it sit and check for bad ****. scan, etc. drive it around the block, going about half way up your powerband.
diagree again same as reason #1

3. let it sit and check for bad ****. scan, etc. drive it around the block, going about half way up your powerband.
i guess it wouldn't hurt to drive it around the block once

4. Change oil. Drive it like you stole it for 500 miles.
I disagree again. It wont hurt to change the oil i guess, but you can't drive it like you stole it until it's tuned. Also you're bound to get arrested or killed doing that for 500 miles straight, and it serves no purpose especially since rings dont take that long to seat.
Old 12-22-2005, 06:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Var
All following comments are assuming it's a hi-po engine

i would disagree here just cause i wouldn't rev that high with new valve springs(assuming they're gonna be performance type) until the 3rd heat cycle

diagree again same as reason #1

i guess it wouldn't hurt to drive it around the block once

I disagree again. It wont hurt to change the oil i guess, but you can't drive it like you stole it until it's tuned. Also you're bound to get arrested or killed doing that for 500 miles straight, and it serves no purpose especially since rings dont take that long to seat.

assuming its a pushrod engine- its not reving beyond 7k. 3500-400rpm should be fine. I know pushrod can go higher, but i dont think this is a solid roller type setup.
I dont think the valves will have a problem going for a 2 minute 3500rpm drive. But you know what they compare opinions to.

I would personally be running a very safe tune on the car while doing these runs. Drive it like you stole it doesn't mean you're on the indy speedway. Well I didn't intend on it to mean that. I meant put a good amount of load on stuff. I didn't mean "wot or full brake if its on".

A mustang dyno is the ideal place to break in a car.
Old 12-22-2005, 07:01 PM
TECH Veteran

re-torquing bolts after break-in

Imagine every new car buyer having to bring there new cars back to the dealerships for re-torquing....clusterfuck to say the least.