Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lifter orientation

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2005, 11:43 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Lifter orientation

I'm almost ready to fire up my new C5R 427 that I installed in my vette today. But I was reviewing everything in the "How to build a performance LS1" book and it mentions that the lifter need to be orientated correctly. Can the lifters be orientated 180 degrees out and cause a problem? I didn't really pay too much attention to this because I noticed with the first lifter the oil hole would be facing either forward or aft and the oil galley hole covers either of those areas. And the cam/head swap directions all over the internet never mention that there is a certain orientation, as long as the lifter trays fit over the ends of the lifters. I'm hoping they mentioned it because they are using Jesel solid rollers. I am actually using the stock LS6 lifters (wanted the quietness, I didn't like the comp lifters on other motors). Please let me know if I have a problem. I want to fire this thing up tomorrow (12/24).

Thank you!!!
Derrick
Old 12-23-2005, 11:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by tazinhawaii
I'm almost ready to fire up my new C5R 427 that I installed in my vette today. But I was reviewing everything in the "How to build a performance LS1" book and it mentions that the lifter need to be orientated correctly. Can the lifters be orientated 180 degrees out and cause a problem? I didn't really pay too much attention to this because I noticed with the first lifter the oil hole would be facing either forward or aft and the oil galley hole covers either of those areas. And the cam/head swap directions all over the internet never mention that there is a certain orientation, as long as the lifter trays fit over the ends of the lifters. I'm hoping they mentioned it because they are using Jesel solid rollers. I am actually using the stock LS6 lifters (wanted the quietness, I didn't like the comp lifters on other motors). Please let me know if I have a problem. I want to fire this thing up tomorrow (12/24).

Thank you!!!
Derrick
From http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=2 :

"Now, place your lifters and lifter retainers back in place like they were when you removed them. Try to keep them oriented exactly like they were before you took them out. If you don't remember how they came out, don't worry, and just put them in however. Its not that big of a deal."

Now, next question: Why in the world wouldja use the stock (weak!) lifters on a motor that's gonna run to over 7k? Now that's begging for trouble! I have the Comp Rs and they're quiet as a mouse.
Old 12-24-2005, 12:02 AM
Staging Lane

I also noticed about half were facing up and half were facing down. I had an engine builder that was helping me. He said did not think it mattered because the way the stock ones are machined oil can escape either side. I turned all of mine down and have not noticed any problems to date. The guy that was helping is running a 572 rodeck with about 1000hp nitrous so I trusted him, he's got 20yrs of hardcore racing experience. Ask others to see what they say but I thought it was weird too.
Old 12-24-2005, 01:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by aux_fast_cam
I also noticed about half were facing up and half were facing down. I had an engine builder that was helping me. He said did not think it mattered because the way the stock ones are machined oil can escape either side. I turned all of mine down and have not noticed any problems to date. The guy that was helping is running a 572 rodeck with about 1000hp nitrous so I trusted him, he's got 20yrs of hardcore racing experience. Ask others to see what they say but I thought it was weird too.

Huh? What? Half up? Half down? In ye first post you were worried about Fwd/AFT orientation. No yer talking like you put the lifters in upside down????? All the rollers better be down on the cam!
Old 12-24-2005, 09:47 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2 different people replying in here besides you SSin. The lifter cups keep the rollers oriented correctly to the cam. No way to install the lifter 90* out of whack unless the cup is screwed up. The oil holes don't matter, front, back, makes no difference. They were in both directions from the factory on my car.
Old 12-24-2005, 11:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by HavATampa
2 different people replying in here besides you SSin. The lifter cups keep the rollers oriented correctly to the cam. No way to install the lifter 90* out of whack unless the cup is screwed up. The oil holes don't matter, front, back, makes no difference. They were in both directions from the factory on my car.
Oops, my bad. I just clicked from the response link on my e-mail...
Old 12-24-2005, 11:18 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

comp r's suck ***. had a lifer **** the bed. saw 3 lifter pump up on a crane lifter. . the best performing lifter was the stocker. i am running a t-rex. know a couple of people who do the same. big motor builders like T.E.C who supply motors europe and who builds the motors for Mosler. they stay stock.
Old 12-24-2005, 12:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

I had 5 comp r's fail on me also I'll never use them. I emailed Comp about it showed them pictures sent them the actual lifters in baggies their reply from the warranty department was that Comp R's never fail. :'(
Old 12-24-2005, 01:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The book is referencing a early Jesel lifter design. Your hyd lifters just get installed so the guides will go on, there is no up or down.

Kurt
Old 12-24-2005, 06:22 PM
Teching In

Thank you all, especially Kurt from W2W since they are the ones with the input to the book.

Well, I finally fired her up this morning. Ran like crap (computer needs to relearn everything, and I don't have a good LS1 edit program yet for this 427 setup), but she ran. But I had no oil pressure after about 10 seconds of running, so I shut her down. I thought maybe I popped the welsh plug out in the front of the block for the oil galley, but after tearing the front down, it was still nicely JB welded in place. So I put the front back together and turned her over using the starter (plugs removed) and she built up oil pressure. I guess I just had to wait another 2-3 seconds when she fired up for all the galleys to fill/pressurize. I also found a bad plug wire (must have damaged it in the tear down). So now I'm back to reassembly.

Thank you all,
Derrick

Quick Reply: Lifter orientation