Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

high rpm smell (like a skunk, lol)

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2005, 09:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default high rpm smell (like a skunk, lol)

basically, i've posted about this problem before, but no one had an answer. pretty much when i drive my car hard, it lets off a really really sour odor when above 4k rpms. if i rev the car above 4k without that car being under load, no smell. this isn't a clutch burning smell. the tranny works great. the smell is something else, something engine related. it's been going on for at LEAST a year now, never getting better or worse.

when you pop the hood after running it, you can smell a faint smell of antifreeze burning, but the car looses very little (if any) coolant. i would guess there is a small leak, but it's not something that has dripped on the ground before, and i can never see a trace of it underneath the hood.

the car drives fine. i could guarantee the power has not changed any. nothing makes weird noises or shakes or anything. the only thing is that an awful smell protrudes from underneath the hood at high rpms.

any guessers out there? i seem to have the weirdest car problems ever, by the way....
Old 12-24-2005, 10:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

are you running with or without cats?
Old 12-24-2005, 10:33 PM
On The Tree

skunk/rotten egg smell with cats run some catalytic converter cleaner through it . I run with cats and when i run it hard to clean them out it puts off the classic egg smell. there not clogged i just dont get on it much in the winter.
Old 12-24-2005, 11:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

oh yeah, i forgot to tell you...already changed the cats and clutch. not either. and yeah, i've got cats.
Old 12-26-2005, 03:09 AM
TECH Regular

Sounds like your cats. H2S (hydrogen sulfide).
Old 12-26-2005, 05:17 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

no cats generally give you a great funk when you walk into work the next morning.
Old 12-26-2005, 10:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

i already replaced the cats once, and the problem is still exactly there without any difference in smell at all.
Old 12-26-2005, 02:05 PM
Banned

Mine is doing the exact same thing only during WOT. Very weird to say the least. I am not running cats though.

Last edited by XtrmLS1spd; 12-26-2005 at 02:29 PM.
Old 12-26-2005, 02:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by XtrmLS1spd
Mine is doing the exact same thing only during WOT. Very weird to say the least. I am not running cats though.
defintely the same problem then. mine does it during WOT mostly because i never get the car above 4k rpms unless WOT. but if you were to drive it half-WOT at 4k+ rpms, i imagine you would still notice the problem.

it has nothing to do with cats or no cats. like i said, i was told it was one of three things:

1. battery. nope, i changed mine with a brand new one; no deviation in smell.

2. clutch. nope, i changed mine with a brand new one; no deviation in smell.

3. cats. nope, i change mine with brand new ones; no deviation in smell.

the only conclusion i can make is that it could coincide with the antifreeze i smell underneath my hood after i drive; however, the WOT smell is nothing like the smell of antifreeze.

do you smell an antifreeze smell after you have run your car?

anyone else have any ideas?
Old 12-26-2005, 02:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

what does a blown head gasket smell like? i would think after smelling the same for a year now without a change in performance, a blown head gasket would have either ruptured or gotten much worse, no? not only that, but there is no foamy residue on the dipstick or in the radiator area, which is generally a characteristic of a leaky head gasket.

Last edited by tuffluck; 12-26-2005 at 03:14 PM.
Old 12-26-2005, 04:04 PM
Banned

Speaking of foamy residue from oil, I actually do get that occasionally where the oil is poured in. maybe like once every 2-3 months. Though, it is no where on the dipstick. But, I have no loss in performance. Any thoughts on what causes that?

I smell no antifreeze whatsoever.
Old 12-26-2005, 04:34 PM
Launching!

My '91 smelled the same way for a year after I put a cat on it. Only when you beat on it too.

I'm pretty sure it's caused by the cat and you'll probably have to get used to it.

Maybe there's some other way a lot of sulfur got into your fuel supply? Mabye try a different gas station.
Old 12-26-2005, 04:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Maybe your running real rich at WOT and its causing your cats to over heat? Might also trace all your coolant lines to see if there is a leak coming from a connection point? Have your done the TB bypass mod?
Old 12-26-2005, 05:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

there is certainly a coolant leak, i just can't pin it down. it loses about a cup of coolant every 2 weeks. no drips or wet spots though, so wherever it may be leaking it is also evaporating before i can find it.

and yes, i did the TB bypass mod. maybe the car is running rich, i dunno. it's been autotapped since the smell has been apparent, and the car ran perfect.

another thing, the more windows/t-tops that are open/off, the more i notice the smell. with the windows up and the tops on and air on, i don't smell it any whatsoever. with the tops off and windows down....VERY potent.
Old 12-26-2005, 05:08 PM
TECH Junkie

have to then get a friend to hold it at 4000rpms and U search around with a flash light, might be burning off your headers/exhaust manifolds.
Old 12-26-2005, 07:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

only does it under load. tried the revving at 4k+ rpms and it does nothing...no smell unless the car is being forced to move, in other words.
Old 12-26-2005, 08:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by tuffluck
only does it under load. tried the revving at 4k+ rpms and it does nothing...no smell unless the car is being forced to move, in other words.
Only under load eh? Thats wierd in itself. Got to be something coming out under pressure and burning on something to make the smell. Man, you may have to check it with a flashlight on a dyno.
Old 12-26-2005, 10:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Quickin
Only under load eh? Thats wierd in itself. Got to be something coming out under pressure and burning on something to make the smell. Man, you may have to check it with a flashlight on a dyno.
the weirdest part is that this has been going on for about a year or so now. the antifreeze hadn't started leaking until about 3 months ago. so the antifreeze really cannot have much to do with this issue. the car uses little oil, too, so it can't really be that. there are really no fluids in use at WOT that could make this smell, no matter how much they were burning.

maybe it could be an accessory? then again, you'd think an accessory would have the same problem of smelling bad regardless of if the car were in load or in neutral. that makes me think the problem is tranny related, but the only thing it could have been was replaced (the clutch). i have no idea. the car only has 54k miles on it.
Old 12-26-2005, 10:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by tuffluck
the weirdest part is that this has been going on for about a year or so now. the antifreeze hadn't started leaking until about 3 months ago. so the antifreeze really cannot have much to do with this issue. the car uses little oil, too, so it can't really be that. there are really no fluids in use at WOT that could make this smell, no matter how much they were burning.

maybe it could be an accessory? then again, you'd think an accessory would have the same problem of smelling bad regardless of if the car were in load or in neutral. that makes me think the problem is tranny related, but the only thing it could have been was replaced (the clutch). i have no idea. the car only has 54k miles on it.
Well ,when the engine is under load its also all jacked up and everything actually moves a little bit from the torque. Maybe something is slightly rubbing when the engine is jacked to the right when you hit the gas. I think its jacked to the right, maybe its the left.

Check the motor mounts, maybe one is broken, maybe a pulley is loose or out of alignment with the rest. Maybe when you hit it the water pump drips some and onto the belt or maybe some water drips from the TB water hose onto the belts

Last edited by Quickin; 12-26-2005 at 10:34 PM.
Old 12-26-2005, 10:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Quickin
Well ,when the engine is under load its also all jacked up and everything actually moves a little bit from the torque. Maybe something is slightly rubbing when the engine is jacked to the right when you hit the gas. I think its jacked to the right, maybe its the left.

Check the motor mounts, maybe one is broken, maybe a pulley is loose or out of alignment with the rest. Maybe when you hit it the water pump drips some and onto the belt or maybe some water drips from the TB water hose onto the belts
that's the best possibility i've heard yet! how does one go about checking motor mounts? now that you mention this, too, i can also tell you that as i turn the car to the left on a big dip in the road (slow speeds), i hear a clunking noise. i have also tried several things in order to solve that problem, but i have yet to figure that out either. sounds like your hypothesis could prove to be a very worthwhile concern.

Quick Reply: high rpm smell (like a skunk, lol)