Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls1 making noise

Old 12-27-2005, 01:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ls1 making noise

I wasnt sure where to post this so if its wrong please let me know. My car started making a whinning noise after i ran it hard the other night. Not redline but i got on it and ran it through the gears. When its not it gear, the whine increases with the rpms. I thought it was the transmission at first but having it do it in Neutral throws that out. Anyone have an educated guess as to how deep im in on this one? Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance,
Jeff
Old 12-27-2005, 02:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Do you have stock gears? Or did you change them to say Motive? I've known some gear sets to have a sort of whining sound. Why you're only hearing this now, I dont know. But just a quick guess.
Old 12-27-2005, 02:38 AM
Staging Lane

Pilot bearing? Does it do it with clutch in and out, or only one way?
Old 12-28-2005, 01:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

It makes this sound no matter what. Its a 6spd and it does it when its not in gear too. I just hope its not a bearing in the engine.
Old 01-07-2006, 07:02 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by flynlow3
My car started making a whinning noise after i ran it hard the other night. Not redline but i got on it and ran it through the gears. When its not it gear, the whine increases with the rpms. I thought it was the transmission at first but having it do it in Neutral throws that out. Anyone have an educated guess as to how deep im in on this one? Any help is appreciated.
Just curious, try disconnecting the alternator, and run the engine off of the battery only. I had an alternator go on me once after hard acceleration, and it gave the exact same "whine" throughout the RPM band. I doubt it's a bearing, unless you've been neglecting the engine of it's oil....
Old 01-07-2006, 08:04 PM
12 Second Club

or P/S pump....
Old 03-04-2006, 01:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

I keep my car mantained pretty meticulously. I think its actually the P/S pump like rebelord stated. I noticed it when i was turning through some sharp S curves the other day.

Thanks for your advice guys
Jeff
Old 03-04-2006, 02:31 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 2001FireBird
Do you have stock gears? Or did you change them to say Motive? I've known some gear sets to have a sort of whining sound. Why you're only hearing this now, I dont know. But just a quick guess.
Richmond is the whining gear set.
Old 03-04-2006, 03:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Havent touched the gears. Everything is OEM just as it was from the factory.
Old 03-07-2006, 08:14 PM
Staging Lane

I'm havin a whining sound that sounds familiar also........it just started today. I went out to wash the car and wash off the engine bay. And everything went fine, engine was still cool.....washed it out....careful with the wires. I drove home like 1 minute away but left the car on to make sure the water would dry up, i used a leaf blower too. Turned the car on again, everything seemed fine....drove like 20-30 minutes and all of a sudden i hear a whining sound that gets higher with the RPM's....
Mine also does it whether its in gear or not...so i dont think its anything with the trans....i do think it could be somethin with the steering pump but wouldn't that whine only happen when i'm turning the wheel?
Old 03-09-2006, 12:08 PM
Staging Lane

Well my whine went away....if anybody cares. Not really sure if it whined because i just washed the engine bay out an hour earlier or if it was somethin else....I dont know why it would whine an hour after i was done..and after 30 minutes of driving? But its gone and thats the good thing i guess.....hopefully it was just somethin wet.

Search this Thread