Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad Luck With Futral Cam

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2005, 01:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

First let me say this I to am a consumer and just went through a promised 6 week delivery on a $12K bedroom suite that ended up taking 14 weeks. Now the situation was compounded by the fact that my new wife had moved in, my old bedroom suite now belonged to the 10 year old and we were forced to sleep on a box spring and matress with "piles" of clothes around the room awaiting drawers. Being in mfg I listend to the Hurricane stuff, and everything thing else from the sales person. At 1 week before Christmas I asked for the furniture reps telephone number and called him. I politely told him if I didn't have furniture by the Wed. before Thanksgiving I was canceling the order and his customer, the furniture store, would be informed that the previous $20K I had spent with them, plus this $12K, over the last 5 years was the last.
I had furniture on Tuesday before T-day.

Now, I handled it behind the scenes and except for some inconvience everyone is okay. I don't feel posting a problem before you have gotten an answer from the vendor does anything but cause a negative situation from the get go. Putting Futral in the corner in the public eye is counter productive.

I understand you were promised 2 weeks and it took 8. As a mfg in this industry I can tell you that NO company does 100% of their work in house and when I say that it means mining the ore to making the billet, to rough machining the billet, to grinding the cam lobe, to hardening the cam to straighting the cam to boxing the cam to shipping the cam. Multiple hands have to touch it. Hell one of Allan's guys called me the week before Christmas to ask where some stuff was that we had shipped on the 12th. It had been in IL since the 14th. Lost. It happens

Metal has been a joke this year, you can't get it. We don't make steel in this country anymore, we import it. So now we weight. Cam core 8620 material is hard to come by in consistant supply. So what may be told to retail vendor by a mfg is more then likely the truth, the problem is shipping or the steel supplier gets held up and it is a domino effect.

I've dealt with Allan over the last 2 years now and I can say he is a stand up guy and I am sure he will take care of it. Just remember in the end we are all human and mistakes happen, what is important is how we handle the mistake.
Old 12-29-2005, 01:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dwayneracing
I dont see anyone "bad mouthing" a sponsor here.... everyone is entitled to an opinion. There are pictures of the cam that is being complained about in this thread. For me, it is enough to not purchase from them. I wouldnt bad mouth them as I dont know them and I am sure they are fine people.
I didn't say "he" was bad mouthing a sponsor (I was just giving an example of internet transaction and how they are handle poorly often). He is entitled to an opinion. I'm saying he hasn't dealt with this in the right way. If he called futral and they told him, oh well I guess you are screwed. Then he has every right to bash them. However, as far as anyone knows he hasn't done this, and I know he hadn't done it before posting this thread. If futral had them drop ship the cam then it really isn't their fault. That's like blaming ups for the bad cam. It's futral's spec's and it's cammotion's cam, since they were the ones that ground it. So if you think about it futral has nothing to do with it except for placing the order. *IF THEY DROP SHIPPED IT* If futral ever saw the cam it is their fault for not sending it back.
Old 12-29-2005, 01:53 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

777:

I could try to state my position til I am blue in the face and I have nothing against you, just trying to make a point. Who did he pay for the cam Cammotion or Futral? Futral IS responsible if for nothing else other than using a subpar (in this case) manufacturing company. I am sure it is nothing they did on purpose and I am sure they will fix the problem. I am just saying they are responsible.

I do agree though that things can get out of hand on the internet and I am sure Futral would like to respond to this and clear it up, but they are on vacation.

I am done and will climb down from the podium at this point.
Old 12-29-2005, 02:30 PM
TECH Resident

Hey dont worry allan will hook you up ,he sure did me, i ordered a cam when building my motor before and it was like 4 weeks late getting to me. He said he would make it right and he sure did. I trailered my car from florida to louisiana and he did a complete dyno tune for me and the car ran great and the tune was dead on.Best part was it was half price. 250.00 for 13 pulles on motor and 5 on nitrous cant beat that!!!
Old 12-29-2005, 02:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by dwayneracing
777:

I could try to state my position til I am blue in the face and I have nothing against you, just trying to make a point. Who did he pay for the cam Cammotion or Futral? Futral IS responsible if for nothing else other than using a subpar (in this case) manufacturing company. I am sure it is nothing they did on purpose and I am sure they will fix the problem. I am just saying they are responsible.

I do agree though that things can get out of hand on the internet and I am sure Futral would like to respond to this and clear it up, but they are on vacation.

I am done and will climb down from the podium at this point.
I'm sorry I just don't see that. So from what you are saying if the UPS guy came out with your package and dropped it on the ground and it somehow damaged it. Futral is responsible because they were the ones that were paid? I see no difference in the situation at all.
Old 12-29-2005, 04:12 PM
Teching In

This thread is out of hand. All I did was post my problem with the cams that I ordered, I didn't bash any company, nor did I say not to buy their cams.

I worked for Cummins for the past 5 months, and when there are deadlines you must meet them or the company will suffer. If futral would have told me that the cams would have taken 8 weeks to get here I wouldn't have a problem. But they told me 2 so I started to take my car apart and get everything ready. I ordered the cams with a +4, the cams that I received didn't come with the +4 and 1 was damaged so I have to send both of them back. Now I am leaving to go back to college so my car sits back home 400 miles away. Then when I get out of college for the summer I'm heading to Indiana to work with Cummins again, so my car will not be complete for a long time. I had everything planned so I could get it back together before I left for college after New Years so it would be ready for the summer.

People should stop saying that we are bashing Futral, a problem came up, the problem was reported, end of story. There is nothing wrong with stating a problem on the forums. Everyone should be aware of the problems that others have had with certain company's.
Old 12-29-2005, 05:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well you shouldve talked to futural before you ever posted this in the first place. **** happens and they will take care of it. By posting this someone has already canceled their order because they were scared of getting a bad cam. They have one of the best reps on the internet for their customer service but its funny how people seem to forget that so fast.
Old 12-29-2005, 05:35 PM
Launching!

you should have waited for the cam to get to your door before tearing into your car making it undrivable, patience is a bitch sometimes , but saves your a$$ if a delay does happen to your order

this problem should be dealt with Futral personally , but then again it makes people aware of what problems people are having with a certain manufacture, (and looks like youre not the only person with this problem),

im sure Futral isnt happy about this problem but seems it is out of their control, The best this thread will do is make Futral aware of the cam quality so that they correct and continue with thier awesome customer satisfaction

i didnt see any bashing of the sponsor , just people taking this thread and making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Last edited by mattr228; 12-29-2005 at 05:41 PM.
Old 12-29-2005, 06:18 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the responses. I didn't intend this thread to hurt futral in anyway, I only wanted to make people aware of the problem I had and to see how the company dealt with other customers that have had problems. I've never dealt with Futral so I was unsure. Maybe I should have waited to talk to Futral, ohh well there's not much we can do now. I still want to get a couple FM14 112 LSA +4 advance cams from Futral, I'll just have to wait to see what they can do for me. As for the person who canceled their order, that's their own choice, but I wouldn't have cancelled the order until Futral responded to this problem. Anyways, the problem is out there, and I hope it will be fixed. We'll all have to see what Futral has to say, I'm sure they'll take care of it.
Old 12-29-2005, 07:17 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 98WhiteDevil
Thanks for the responses. I didn't intend this thread to hurt futral in anyway, I only wanted to make people aware of the problem I had and to see how the company dealt with other customers that have had problems. I've never dealt with Futral so I was unsure. Maybe I should have waited to talk to Futral, ohh well there's not much we can do now. I still want to get a couple FM14 112 LSA +4 advance cams from Futral, I'll just have to wait to see what they can do for me. As for the person who canceled their order, that's their own choice, but I wouldn't have cancelled the order until Futral responded to this problem. Anyways, the problem is out there, and I hope it will be fixed. We'll all have to see what Futral has to say, I'm sure they'll take care of it.
Personally I want to thank you for posting your pictures. If you didn't I probably wouldn't have done a thorough inspection of my cam until install day, so you saved me alot of grief.How these people can say your bashing Futral just because you posted pictures I'll never know. I think it's funny that you and I have the bad cams but in some people eyes we're the bad guys!!!

Let's get this straight...I'M NOT BASHING FUTRAL. Never said a bad word about them at all. I posted the pics of the pitted journal because I wanted an opinion of whether I should install it or not. How does that get interpreted as bashing??? I just don't understand your thinking....but then I don't understand how Bush can be president either....There, now I gave you something to get excited about....maybe it'll take the heat off Futral until they can deal with this situation.
Old 12-29-2005, 07:44 PM
11 Second Club

Not your problem Devil. I cancelled because I dont want to wait a month (or more) for a cam and then possibly have to send it back. There are other cams and other vendors out there. With all the people speaking highly of them, I am sure they will take care of you.
Old 12-29-2005, 08:28 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by AFTICA
How these people can say your bashing Futral just because you posted pictures I'll never know. I think it's funny that you and I have the bad cams but in some people eyes we're the bad guys!!!
Get used to it man.. Its "the norm" around here.. Trust me, I've been there and done that..
Old 12-29-2005, 09:36 PM
Launching!

I could not see blaming Futral for that cam. I ordered a custom cam from TSP and they told me it would take about 2 days, it actually took 4 to grind and ship from the day i ordered it but they use COMP cams. This pitted cam appears to be the grinder's fault.
TSP was going to have COMP send it directly to me but i asked them to Cam Doctor it before they sent it to me. So sending it from the grinder to you seems to be the common practice. I am sure futral would have never let this go out of their door.

I have never purchased from Futral but from what i have seen before i know they will take care of this for you. It just sucks that they are closed and you can't get a response from them. I understand your frustration but others should not let this scare them away.

I haven't seen any bashing going on but i can see how some might feel that way. Everyone calm down and wait for FMS to re-open.
Old 12-30-2005, 08:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

I've yet to see a reply where someone has said that you are bashing futral. There are many saying that they felt you handled it the wrong way, but none that say you are bashing. The only thing I can see as bashing was my comment, but it wasn't even directed at this topic, it was an example of how people handle things the wrong way. I guess it's easy to take things the wrong way on the internet. You guys aren't the bad guys, but neither is futral. It's cammotion. I'll be anxious to see what Futral's response to this is.
Old 12-30-2005, 09:41 AM
TECH Resident

FMS has great customer service. Allan and Candy will handle the problem.
Old 12-30-2005, 10:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I agree - Allan and Candy will take care of you. Everytime I called, they both spend time to talk to me.

All your anwsers are just a quick phone call away from you
Old 12-30-2005, 11:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

This thread gives me a headache!
Old 12-30-2005, 12:13 PM
CBX
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LS1 BU
FMS has great customer service. Allan and Candy will handle the problem.
Except for the fact that Candy is not there anymore.
Old 12-30-2005, 04:05 PM
On The Tree

Allen sent me an email today. He will be replacing both cams for me. Like everybody said, they're good guys.
Old 12-30-2005, 04:15 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Case closed! Great Customer Service.
Lock this thing down.