Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bent pushrod question

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 09:50 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bent pushrod question

how bent does a pushrod have to be to make noise? I have seen some pictures on here of other people's that are almost U shaped. i took mine out tonight and only one of them is very slightly bent. I checked by rolling them on a piece of glass, and only the one was bent and i could only tell by the sound it made while rolling on the glass. i am just thinking i am going to have to pull the heads and change the lifters.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:26 PM
Teching In

Default Old school-VS-Today

While it is true that you must remove the heads to replace the lifters, this is not the case when replacing the pushrods. Simply remove the valve covers and all associated hardware, loosen the rocker arms and rotate them out of the way, then lift the pushrods out of their respective positions. To repace the pushrods, drop the rods back into position, making sure that they are centered in the lifter pockets, rotate rocker arms into position over the rod ends and snug them down. Now, there are two schools of thought on how to set the final torque/sequence on the LS1 engine. The first is to simply tighten all rocker arm bolts to 22ft/lbs. and you're done. The other is to rotate the crank until the valve that you wish to tighten is closed. Rotating the crank will close several valves, both intake and exhaust, allowing you to tighten half of the valves on one rotation and the remaining half on the following rotation. The latter method has worked well for me with the traditional small block Chevy engine. It's my opinion that rotating the crank, and tightening the valves that are closed relieves the valves of any spring tension that could give a false setting. Just my opinion!
Old 12-29-2005, 12:23 AM
TECH Addict

it has to be pretty bent to make noise
Old 12-29-2005, 09:19 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by scarbrow
. i took mine out tonight and only one of them is very slightly bent. .

Originally Posted by red90cobra
it has to be pretty bent to make noise
thanks