Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will this cam work w/stock pistons, no valve relief?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2006, 02:01 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by The Juggernaut
Are the heads milled or something?
If not, you have plenty of clearence.
thats what i thought. the t-rex is ALOT larger cam then that is
Old 01-02-2006, 02:33 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bigdsz
I think what you guys just don't get is that a cam can fit, but how close of a fit. I've got a Comp XER 228/230 112+2, a lot of people would say it will fit, well I only had .045 clearance at 8* btdc. Intake valves should have a minimum of .080. If I leave it like that and don't notch what happens if I float the valves or have an over rev situation. It's better to be safe than sorry.

We recently pulled the AFR heads off a friend of mines car with a 224/228, guess what there were little arcs where the intakes had just bearily touched the pistons and cleaned the carbon off.
You have to take in how much the heads are milled, and what type of gaskets are being used along with valve size. The T-rex is a 242/248 XER 110+2 and it fits stock heads. By your standards, it should have long destroyed the valves/pistons. Another guy recently asked me if a 236/242 112+4 XE-R would fit in his stock bottom end and I said no. After he clayed it, he had adequite room. It's all about valve timing. The smart thing to do is check piston/valve, but with a cam like the X3, alot of people have run it, so it's safe to say it will fit.
Old 01-02-2006, 07:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 224/228 was a Comp XER I think 114+0. I know that cam would normally fit, the guy probably had an over rev and touched the pistons. All I am saying is that with these larger cams , they should be degreed in and clearances checked 8-10* before and 8-10* after TDC. Too many guys are not notching the pistons when they should be. Just because it fits doesn't mean it's fitting right.
Old 01-02-2006, 08:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

The 224/228 was a Comp XER I think 114+0. I know that cam would normally fit, the guy probably had an over rev and touched the pistons. All I am saying is that with these larger cams , they should be degreed in and clearances checked 8-10* before and 8-10* after TDC. Too many guys are not notching the pistons when they should be. Just because it fits doesn't mean it's fitting right.
I agree with bigdsz, for street .08 and .100 (int/exht) is what I would shoot for, especially in M6.
Old 01-10-2006, 01:54 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have stock heads on my car. If I bought this cam I would be doing springs, retainers, rods, everything. I dont usually miss shifts, and Im going to get a Pro5.0 to help with that. And ontop of that, I usually shift close to 6k RPMs. But Im going to have my rev limiter raised so that I wont bounce off the rev limiter. Even though Im raising the rev limit, Im still going to shift at the same RPM though so I have a lil space of safety. And this may be a really stupid question, but is there a different gasket I could get to help give me even a little bit more clearance?

But I just need a simple yes or no on whether this cam will fit. Stock heads, no relief. If it absolutely wont then Im just going to look at a G5x3 I guess?
Old 01-10-2006, 10:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

For starters do you have LT's? If you do not, and I don't see them in your sig, then you would be severely limiting that cam. I would not install that cam without notching. Why don't you go see Mike Norris at Next Level Performance in Alatmonte Springs for some insight. You will need him for a dyno and tune after the install anyway.
Old 01-10-2006, 10:52 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nexvctm2001ss
think the biggest lift is 601 before you have to fly cut the piston not sure though

my buddy just said you will have to cut the piston

Well I hope your buddy also knows that lift has almost NOTHING to do with P/V clearence.
Please dont make posts like 601 if the most lift if you dont know that for sure.
If misleads people and puts wrong information out there.
Nothing against you just pointing this out 1 more time so new members dont get the wrong info.

Also I believe the cam will fit fine.
Set you rev limited at 67-6800 and dont be scared to shift around 6350 or so. There is no point to run a cam this large if your not going to take advantage of the power at top.
If you going to shift at 6000 I would go with a smaller cam that will be much more driveable and give you awsome mid range power. Something like a 224/228.
Both cams will pull very similar to 5800 RPM's give or take but then the 232/240 cam will really start to out pull the 224/228 cam. If you shifting at 6000 you will never get the full benifits of the top end power so why use that big of a cam??

Last edited by JZ'sTA; 01-10-2006 at 11:01 PM.
Old 01-10-2006, 11:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

this almost identical to a G5X2 except it has just 2 more degrees of duration on the intake. it will work just fine N/A in your car but it wont be a great boost cam. i didnt have to flycut with my cam, and there are bigger cams out there than mine that work fine without having to do that. like the TREX, G5X4, G5X3, TSP Magic Stick, Futral F15(Ron Jeremy), and many others.
Old 01-11-2006, 02:20 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For starters do you have LT's? If you do not, and I don't see them in your sig, then you would be severely limiting that cam. I would not install that cam without notching. Why don't you go see Mike Norris at Next Level Performance in Alatmonte Springs for some insight. You will need him for a dyno and tune after the install anyway.
Im getting a set on LTs soon. All of this will be going on the car at the same time. Just wanting to do a lot at once. I know Mike and NLP, its 2 mins from my house, but I know Gary that works there because he is in my car club FuelSlut. He told me this cam would fit, and pointed out that the TRex is bigger and you dont need reliefs with that. And as for dyno and tuning, I know Roger and Vinci High Performance and can get a better deal through them. In the far future when i do turbos and a fully built engine, then NLP is the only place Ill go to. BTW, Gary will be helping me out with the valves and such with this cam.

Im going to go with the cam. Im hearing from a lot more places that this will work so I think ill go with it. As for revving to 6300rpms, Ill do that once I get use to the cam and am sure I wont f' up and miss a shift and hit the rev limiter at all.

Quick Reply: Will this cam work w/stock pistons, no valve relief?