Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Southie's Setup Part II. Object: off the shelf 346ci max power. ETP 225, TRaK (LSK)

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 04:01 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dug
Why the frown about going solid roller? They make more power and have better drivability. See what Thunder says. I think they have experiemented with it.
Time to learn more stuff!
Old 01-03-2006, 04:09 PM
dug
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, I dunno. I have a feeling a high lift hydraulic is gonna cause a lot of headaches that can be avoided by going SR.

If those heads really flow that much the car is gonna make insane powah with over .600" lift cam.

Another thing, why not get a vette instead of a F-body? They handle way better with better brakes. Lighter too. Instead of blowing all your money on the motor, get a vette with a mild cam and headers.
Old 01-03-2006, 04:14 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Originally Posted by dug
Yeah, I dunno. I have a feeling a high lift hydraulic is gonna cause a lot of headaches that can be avoided by going SR.

If those heads really flow that much the car is gonna make insane powah with over .600" lift cam.

Another thing, why not get a vette instead of a F-body? They handle way better with better brakes. Lighter too. Instead of blowing all your money on the motor, get a vette with a mild cam and headers.
'98 LS1 Fbods are already around $7K. Totally within my parameters.
Old 01-03-2006, 04:21 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Originally Posted by dug

Abother reason why the TRak intrigues me, is that the LSK lobes used on the intake supposedly come off the seat softer than XE-R lobes, as Patrick has pointed out in other posts, but surpass XE-R in the upper lift ranges in aggressiveness.

I have one and it's very agressive in its power production, but not in valve train harshness. Here's the deal: The TRak cam uses COMP LSK lobes for the intake and XE-R lobes for the exhaust. The reasoning is you want the most intake lift possible for best power and you want the quickest lobe from .006 to .050" on the exhaust to maintain torque production. The TRak cam delivers.

The LSK lobes are by no means slow. They're 1 degree slower from .006 to .050" lift than the XE-R lobes, but then they speed up and surpass the XE-Rs from .050" and on. The slightly softer ramp rates right off the seat will be kinder on valve seats, but the faster ramp rates after .050" and greater lift will generate more power.

Here's a comarison:
XE-R 232 lobe .595 lift
281 at .006", 232 at .050", 153 at .200"

LSK 231 lobe .643 lift
281 at .006", 231 at .050", 156 at .200"

Notice how at .200 lift, the LSK lobe has 156 degrees of duration compared to the XE-R lobe at 153 degrees. That means the valve will hang open longer and with a lot more lift. The TRak cam rocks!
Old 01-03-2006, 04:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Patrick G
If the heads are as good as they should be, you should be at or above 500 rwhp. I'm going to swap my 205s for AFR 225s (as soon as they ship) and hope to gain some more power. It will be a true A-B comparison. Same shortblock and bolt-ons. Just different heads.
Please post results. Everyone says 225s are too big for a 346...your head swap will confirm if it is. congrats..your the guinea pig!
Old 01-03-2006, 09:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

I like it and think a set of morel lifters would be a good addition to that combo.Please
don't just port match the intake , split the ***** apart and address the issues inside also.Best of luck.
Old 01-03-2006, 10:54 PM
TECH Resident

What is the application? Drag racing? Road racing? Pink Slips? Show? Daily commute?

What is the service interval? 150k miles between oil changes? Valve springs once/year? Tear down after every race with new valves, springs, pistons, pins?

Does it have to pass an emissions test? Automatic or manual?

For a track day beater, too much emphasis on power.
Old 01-03-2006, 11:39 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

I've been told it's too much power over and over, and I guess I won't learn until I run off a threshold break zone into a wall because I can't stop in time, but damnit, this next project is about having fun, and experimenting with what's new out there.

Application is: car to have fun with, let's explore these new heads and cam options available. It will see a track day or two per year. It will cruise streets on weekends and see a 1/4 mile run every once in a blue moon.

Service interval: Valve springs about every 18 months (checked every 6 months max).
Tear down: none (until sh*t breaks).
Stock bottom end until it breaks.

M6, no emissions.
Old 01-04-2006, 03:54 AM
Teching In

im interested to see how she does. i was thinking the same setup in my zo6 but with a g5x3 and 215 heads. good luck
Old 01-04-2006, 06:59 AM
TECH Resident

Sound like a great setup. Should be a blast on the street as well as track duty.
Old 01-04-2006, 08:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Well get to it. I'm ready to see what's going to happen.
Old 01-04-2006, 03:41 PM
TECH Resident

I guess what I'm saying is you want the smallest heads...the 215s from ET, or 205s from AFR or Dart. Then use the 78mm TB. Stock MAF. A good double spring.

The advantage from the LSK wouldn't be necessary. However, I would consider solid lifters for a maintenance reasons. And adjustable rockers. The street solid profile is between an XER and LSK in lift for a specified .050 duration. Then I would keep it small, maybe 218/224 (or even 224/230, which seat time comparable to a 210/216 hydralulic). Maybe a good header with merge collector.

What you want is controllablity, not power.

Another thing to keep in mind, track days are MUCH more expensive than drag racing or street driving. All sorts of things break. Tires, brakes (including rotors) wear out at an alarming pace. And the race versions are expensive.

Stresses are much higher and in four directions. Few drag cars maintain more than 1g acceleration for more than a few seconds. On a road course with race tires you will be under 1g braking and cornering all the time.

Plus the damage. Every now and then a drag car crashes. Some with serious or fatal injuries. However, road racing tracks eat cars with big damage all the time. And one person's spin can eat several cars. Having your car brought back from a track in Timbuktu can cost more than the cam.

Here's a question for Tony and Craig/Cary...who has the best throttle response at partial throttle openings? Different from all these flow bench comparions.

And a question for Patrick G...should this be an SD tune for throttle response?
Old 01-04-2006, 03:50 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by DavidNJ
And a question for Patrick G...should this be an SD tune for throttle response?
I'll chime in on this part...running a big cam like he is thinking about, I'd recommend the SD tune to get the most out of it without the headaches of tuning for the MAF (reversion being the biggest problem - MAFs don't care which way the air blows through them).

With the way our PCMs work, SD is a good way to go on these cars for almost any setup (excluding those that have strict emissions standards).
Old 01-04-2006, 03:52 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

I'm aware of the alarming rate at which rotors, pads, tires wear. I expect to go through rotors and pads every outing/ every other outing.
As for run-offs, I saw at least a half dozen guys hit barriers at the race school I attended, so the threat of carnage is always there.
I won't overlook suspension, braking, cooling and safety items.

You are correct DavidNJ, fluid throttle response is something I have totally overlooked. Less aggressive lobes come on strong upper mid/high in the rev range, but then again, that's what most RR cams are ground on, so there's something to ponder. Hmm.
Old 01-04-2006, 04:12 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Oh, and to add to my SD comment above, I'd recommend steering towards a 99+ f-body. Tuning on a '98 is a PITA, and even the tuning companies really don't put much effort into software for the '98s partly due to the lack of demand, partly because of how GM made them.

That's something else to keep in mind.
Old 01-04-2006, 04:18 PM
TECH Resident

The less aggressive lobes...actually lower duration, not less aggressive, will give you more mid-range. More DCR from the smaller intake. Less overlap. Later opening on the exhaust. At higher speeds it will run out of breath.

My guess is you should shoot for a rev range between 3500-6200. This car could be faster (lower lap times) than than one with more duration, bigger ports, bigger TB.

The broad rev range with crisp and controllable throttle response will let you come out of the corners harder, control the yaw angle with the throttle, and stretch a gear at the end of a straight or stay in a higher gear going into some turns that will keep you concentrating on driving not shifting.

Shifting caused by having the wrong ratios in the first place (ideally, all of the ratios are picked to avoid unnecessary or inappropriate shifting.)
Old 01-04-2006, 05:13 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
Oh, and to add to my SD comment above, I'd recommend steering towards a 99+ f-body. Tuning on a '98 is a PITA, and even the tuning companies really don't put much effort into software for the '98s partly due to the lack of demand, partly because of how GM made them.

That's something else to keep in mind.
Could you elaborate on that?
Old 01-04-2006, 06:28 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by TroubledWine3
Could you elaborate on that?
In their infinite wisdom, GM decided to make the '98 PCMs different than the later years. I'm not sure on the specifics, but it isn't as friendly to reverse engineer for tuning software. I think it is even limited in its capabilities in that aspect (which is why no one has produced a 2 or 3 bar MAP capability for these cars, but they are working on it). Basically, if you run an SD tune, you really don't want to be stuck with the lower resolution secondary VE table that 98, 99, and 00 PCMs have in them (running in SD means it will reference this table instead of the primary VE table).

With 99-00 PCMs, you can just change over to an 01-02 operating system, and your problem is solved. '01-'02 cars only have a primary VE table.

With the 98 PCM, you'd basically have to put a new PCM in because everything is wired differently in that one...you'd basically be rewiring your whole car (not really an option) just to run a later model year PCM.

FYI, in SD mode, the VE table becomes the primary reference table to figure out how much fuel to add under different driving conditions. Less resolution = less robust tune.

Cliffs notes: the 1998 F-body PCM is the red-headed, bastard, kicked to the curb step-child of the LS1 F-body PCMs. FWIW, I'm pretty sure the 1997-98 Vette PCMs are the same way.
Old 01-04-2006, 08:06 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Originally Posted by DavidNJ
The less aggressive lobes...actually lower duration, not less aggressive, will give you more mid-range. More DCR from the smaller intake. Less overlap. Later opening on the exhaust. At higher speeds it will run out of breath.

My guess is you should shoot for a rev range between 3500-6200. This car could be faster (lower lap times) than than one with more duration, bigger ports, bigger TB.

The broad rev range with crisp and controllable throttle response will let you come out of the corners harder
, control the yaw angle with the throttle, and stretch a gear at the end of a straight or stay in a higher gear going into some turns that will keep you concentrating on driving not shifting.

Shifting caused by having the wrong ratios in the first place (ideally, all of the ratios are picked to avoid unnecessary or inappropriate shifting.)

By the way, throttle respnonse is much crisper with 90mm TB's. The stock TB response is slush in comparison.
Old 01-04-2006, 09:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

That setup sounds incredible. Go for it!