Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why is my car pinging?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 02:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there a sponsor here that sells seafoam? I've never used the stuff.
Old 01-10-2006, 02:10 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Should be able to get it at vato zone or o'reily's
Old 01-10-2006, 02:23 PM
On The Tree

Will do. I'm going to go ahead and order the catch can and pcv valve later this week. I just reset the PCM. Hopefully this will take car of the problem.
Old 01-10-2006, 05:59 PM
TOZ
On The Tree

Try Shell Gas and stick a bottle of Tektron from Chevron, thats should get you set. When I was stock used to do the same thing, went Shell and fixed the problem, my car is faithfull to Shell Gas, don`t like any other. Don`t ask me why. You won`t loose anything by trying.
Old 01-10-2006, 06:52 PM
On The Tree

I know Ferrari uses shell fuel in F1 so it can't be bad. Is the octane rating at your shell stations in Florida 91? That is what the supreme is here in Abilene at our shells. I am going to fill it up tomorrow and see what happens at WOT.
Old 01-10-2006, 06:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by calongo_SS
I don't buy that descreening your maf is going to make that much of a differnece. You should be able to fix any difference that it does make by just reseting the PCM.

Patman, you're getting detonation at anything above 22 deg on a stock motor? That seems pretty low to me. Maybe it's the 91, but I wouldn't have thought that would make much of a difference from 93.
I guess I should clarify things by saying that when I got it dyno tuned a couple of weeks ago, I was running 89 octane gas (like I always run in the winter), but it was only 50F in the dyno room. So in order to keep knock retard at zero, the timing could not really be set any higher than 22. Since an engine's appetite for octane is lower in colder weather, I figure 89 octane at 50 degrees would cause similar knock retard to 91 octane at 80-90 degrees.

Plus I figured it was a safer tune this way, since I like to run 91 octane in the summer instead of 94, so it's best to keep the timing relatively safe. There are a lot of Sunoco stations around here, but I prefer to use Esso or Shell, both of which sell 91, because they are a lot cheaper than Sunoco, plus I'm lazy and both of those stations have EZ passes. I also find I get shitty gas mileage with Sunoco. I usually put in Sunoco when I race though.

I probably wouldn't lose too much power between 22 degrees of timing and 25-26 would I?
Old 01-10-2006, 11:05 PM
On The Tree

I reset my computer today and just a while ago I opened the car up full throttle. The pinging is gone! I just hope it stays gone. It may have been my imagination but she seemed a little stronger than before at WOT. I'm still going to get the catch can and new PCV valve though just for preventative maintenance. I'll also run some seafoam through it. Hopefully the car wont burn oil anymore. I've been running about a half quart low every oil change.
Old 01-11-2006, 12:30 AM
10 Second Club

Patman,
I think you're probably you could probably pick up 10 - 15 hp, but it all depends on what your car really likes I guess, so it could be not much. Just for an example, that's about the amount of timing people are running with a 200 shot, so it's pretty low. Personally I have 24 deg max timing (150 shot), I always use shell 93. Being in TX, I'm pretty sure we get some better gas though (less ethanol).

Last edited by calongo_SS; 01-11-2006 at 02:18 AM.