Sponsored by:

T-rex

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2006, 08:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ωmega
Good tuning can fix just about anything
True, but when I can't tune myself, and live 3+ hours from the tuner I'll be using, I get a bit nervous.
Old 01-23-2006, 10:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Louie83
Joe at T56 Rebuilds put down over 460 with the T-Rex Killer and stock heads.

the Trex is proven the best stock head cam available with no piston modification.

on a side note, whoever came up with the name trex killer must be one cocky sob since it has yet to do that.
Old 01-24-2006, 07:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

Which dual spring kit you would recommand for the trex cam? Should i go cheap or get the most expensive kit.Crane Cams,Comp Cams,Patriot,Texas Speed Performance or others.TSP Dual Kit(289.99) Comp Cams Dual Kit(559.95) Patriot Dual Kit(255.00) Crane Cams Dual Kit(149.99).
Old 01-24-2006, 07:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

The Crane Cam Dual kit is around 300 or 400 buck.I just price the springs itself, not the other parts that comes with it.
Old 01-24-2006, 08:39 AM
TECH Junkie

any dynographs on the 'rex killer?

i would assume to outdo the t-rex, you'd have to spin 7,200+.

i've been trying to get info on this cam, too, but no one has anything useful.

joe overton from lethalefi promotes it, but offers NO information.
Old 01-24-2006, 10:52 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Element
So pretty much with a good tune, the T-Rex isn't too much trouble to drive (relatively speaking)? I still can't decide if I want a T-Rex or something like a G5x4, and while not having stock driving manners doesn't bother me, I'm just worried I'll hate driving the car around after the cam goes in.
No, with a *great* tune, a Trex isn't a pain to drive. I've never actually taken a look at any of the dyno tunes that people go to a shop for, but I've heard some real bad things about the so called "professional" dyno tunes. See if you can talk to anyone that has had a tune by the same shop and get their recommendation.

The thing that scares me is that I don't see how you can possibly tune an entire car in a few hours. Like I mentioned, I already have 35+ hours of data logs + dozens of reflashes, and I'm just getting to the point where I would say the car drives almost like stock. I would say it took me about a week of tuning to get the car where the street manners were great. It was definately driveable before then, but the tune was far from great. If I were you, I'd get some tuning software and a wideband, and do the tuning yourself. That's really the only way to ensure you have a great tune.
Old 01-24-2006, 04:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well iam looking at a came that is trying to match or beat the T-rex so we will see. the cam is a little smaller but a different lobe ramp and a few other tweaks. they say it will make more power under the curve than the T-rex also. we will wait and see.
Old 01-24-2006, 05:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

so what are the specs on these cams that are supposed to be better than the trex?
Old 01-24-2006, 06:03 PM
TECH Junkie

for an all-out race cam, the t-rex is one of the big dogs, proven by the cam only track times. this cam is beautiful above 4,500 rpm, but leaves much desired below. the hp curve is so sexy, i have dreams about t-rex dynographs.
Old 01-24-2006, 08:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeus
No, with a *great* tune, a Trex isn't a pain to drive. I've never actually taken a look at any of the dyno tunes that people go to a shop for, but I've heard some real bad things about the so called "professional" dyno tunes. See if you can talk to anyone that has had a tune by the same shop and get their recommendation.

The thing that scares me is that I don't see how you can possibly tune an entire car in a few hours. Like I mentioned, I already have 35+ hours of data logs + dozens of reflashes, and I'm just getting to the point where I would say the car drives almost like stock. I would say it took me about a week of tuning to get the car where the street manners were great. It was definately driveable before then, but the tune was far from great. If I were you, I'd get some tuning software and a wideband, and do the tuning yourself. That's really the only way to ensure you have a great tune.
I've talked to two or three guys who had the shop tune the cars in (Rapid) and haven't heard anything but praise. I went up for my header and exhaust install, and Mikey seemed like a great guy. I really wouldn't have any problems leaving the car up there for a week or two, to get the best possible tune.

With the wideband, do I need a laptop to do that, or an I use a desktop? I really don't want to have to buya third computer to tune the car in, but if it's necessary, I can build a barebones and use that. I'm more worried about tuning something in wrong, and hearing my engine go "POP" rather violently afterwards. I don't mind some lope at idle (honestly, if it idled stock, I'd be really disappointed...heavy lope doesn't bother me, since I wouldn't be driving it a whole lot in traffic), and surging would be expected, at low rpms. It's definitely something for me to look into, but I've still got plenty of time to weigh my options before I decide on a course. Have more than 6 months before the cam goes in, tentatively.
Old 01-24-2006, 09:55 PM
TECH Regular

my point wasn't that a good tune takes a long time to do, my point was I don't think most shops take that amount of time. Most of the ones I've heard of take 3-4 hours, and I know there's no way in hell I could tune a car in that period of time.

About tuning yourself, if you buy EFILive, you don't need a laptop. They have a black box data logger included that's about the size of a deck of cards, and it records up to half an hour of data for you. The only real problem is that you need to have the cable hooked into the car in order to reflash the PCM, so you'll have to buy a long *** extension cord and stuff your full sized monitor, computer, keyboard, and mouse into your car. If you are going to tune, I would highly recommend getting your own laptop. You can even borrow one from a friend for a little while.

As far as tuning, I wouldn't be too worried about doing something so wrong that it blows your engine. If you start reading the PCM forum here, the EFILive and/or HP Tuners forums, LS1tuning.com, etc. in 6 months you'll be more than ready to do a kickass tune. You could probably do it in under a month of learning, even less if you have someone to guide you. In the end it's up to you though.
Old 01-25-2006, 08:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SMOKIN01TA
the Trex is proven the best stock head cam available with no piston modification.

on a side note, whoever came up with the name trex killer must be one cocky sob since it has yet to do that.
Excuse my ignorance, but I have seen that numerous times and it never makes much sense to me. If the T-Rex is the best cam for stock heads, then shouldn't it be the best cam for heads (which are suited to the T-Rex ofcourse) as well?
Old 01-25-2006, 09:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Excuse my ignorance, but I have seen that numerous times and it never makes much sense to me. If the T-Rex is the best cam for stock heads, then shouldn't it be the best cam for heads (which are suited to the T-Rex ofcourse) as well?
The cam responds great to aftermarket heads. What he's saying is that for STOCK heads, there's no better. It's the best cam for a stock head setup, where you don't want to notch the pistons. A few have done it, the T-Rex loves aftermarket heads, just like any other cam does.
Hope that helps clear it up a little.
Old 01-25-2006, 09:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ah, okay. I got the impression that for some reason that the big cams (240+) were not as effective as smaller cams once heads were added. Thanks for clearing that up, that makes a lot more sense.
Old 01-25-2006, 09:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Nah, bigger cams just limit what heads you can run. Aftermarket heads with bigger valves are harder to fit with bigger cams.
Old 01-25-2006, 09:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Ah, okay. I got the impression that for some reason that the big cams (240+) were not as effective as smaller cams once heads were added. Thanks for clearing that up, that makes a lot more sense.
haha, no thats not the case, trex should be awsome on good heads, ill let you know soon, but 500 to the wheels is my goal
Old 01-25-2006, 10:00 PM
11 Second Club

FYI...I tried for 3 weeks to get some info on the T-rex Killer and order one. Left Joe messages, PMed him on a bunch of sites, e-amiled, etc....

All with no luck.

I also tried contacting Louis from LG, same deal, pm's, e-mails, phone calls(I did get a hold of him, talked to him, said he would call me back, just never did). Now I see why jugger is mad with his services...

I ended up picking up a used cam for cheap....

I've learned in life, if it's that hard to get a hold of someone when your'e about to buy a $450 cam from them and they won't return your calls/messages. Think about the service you'll get once you get the cam and need a little help, or worst yet, you send them the cash and never see the cam...

Brian
Old 01-26-2006, 09:16 AM
Teching In

Default t rex killer

i left a message with joe on his message since dec and still havenot heard anything left message on his phone once havenot heard anything yet has been at least a monthe emailed him about one month and half ago have not
heard any thing. i am going to buy either a t rex ot t rex killer eventhough the customer service isnot that great only because if the t rex killer makes the most power thats the cam i want!
Old 01-26-2006, 01:11 PM
TECH Junkie

^^^

yeah, the highest peak numbers means the best cam...