Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Callies Vs Cola Vs Eagle

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2006, 04:49 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Eagles are a nightmare to balance, unless you buy a whole kit from a vendor already prebalanced. My vote is Lunati or Callies, and I wouldn't look at anything else.
Old 04-07-2006, 05:16 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good point. Mine came as a balanced rotating assembly kit. I never considered the problems that a severely unballanced crank would cause. Mostly the headache of getting it right or having time-bomb engine...
Old 01-23-2007, 09:32 PM
Banned

Ive used eagles in a half dozen ls1 motors, they work great, no problems
Old 01-23-2007, 10:17 PM
Teching In

Bryant and Crower cranks are usually custom order parts. They will supply the crank balanced for you bobweight. Something else to thisk about is the weight of the parts you are installing. Bryant and Crower offer much lighter cranks than the others listed here. These parts are much more expensive so you need to look at your application to see if it warrents this level quality.Too often folks on this page are comparing $600 cranks to $2500 cranks. There is a reason the Eagle is $600, Cola $1000 Crower or Bryant $2500 or more. The Crower or Bryant are good to 10,000 RPM and a bunch of HP but it would not be wise to spin a Eagle that high. But, do you really need a crank that will go to 10,000 RPM. LSX engines are great since they have a very flat torque curve and don't require you to buzz the **** out of them.

Oliver, Crower, Manley and Carillo make great connecting rods if you are talking about there top of the line parts.

For the price Eagle is hard to beat as long as you stay within reasonable power levels.
Old 01-24-2007, 02:11 AM
Launching!

What has anyone heard on the Callies Dragon slayer? That is what I was thinking of going with.
Old 01-24-2007, 09:26 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike@TEA
You need to find out where the crank was actually forged at. Most 4340 cranks that are still made in usa are made at Louisville Forge and are made from a really strong/durable US made 4340 alloy. I believe callies and cola both use them. Eagle/scat and others I am fairly sure come from China which still use an alloy that qualifies as 4340 but is not as good as the US stuff. The rest is machining (tolerances), heat treating, and counterweight design (ease of balancing). I cannot comment on those with Ls-1's because I have not worked with them to know for sure. There is a difference between US 4340 and chinese.IMO! The callies stuff I've seen SBC-BBC was close to dead nuts in terms of sizing and was usually easier to balance.The cola was not bad.Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Callies Vs Cola Vs Eagle