Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rebalance after piston and rod change

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 11:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default rebalance after piston and rod change

This is probably asking for something too good to be true, but if I were to replace my stock LS6 rods and pistons with forged pieces in preparation for some boost, is there a combination of parts that would allow me to maintain my internal balance without sending things out for rebalancing? thanks
Old 01-26-2006, 12:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some pistons and rods are within a gram of each other so no material will have to be be removed but the crank will have to be balanced to your new piston/rod combo. You will have to take the entire rotating assembly to the machine shop. Usually they want the crank, rods, pistons, one ring set, and one rod bearing set.
Old 01-26-2006, 12:10 AM
10 Second Club

No, I dont beleive there is a piston/rod combo out there that would use the same bobweight as factory.It's always a good idea to have your stuff weighed even if it is supposed to be "weight matched"...iv'e seen many LS1 pistons (aftermarket only) vary from as much as 10-30 grams so it's always a good idea to balance or atleast weigh the parts to make sure they are what they are supposed to be.

Carter
Old 01-26-2006, 02:44 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All my **** was within a gram of each other, but they still had to rebalance everything, becuase the weight from the big end to little end was off..... so they removed a lil weight here, lil there, and now it's all pimped like a ****.
Old 01-26-2006, 03:02 PM
TECH Resident

Do they balance the motors from the factory? I would think not but perhaps I am incorrect.

Quick Reply: rebalance after piston and rod change