Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Are you interested in one more mod-by-mod buildup of a 98-02 F-Body?
Yes, very interested
95.79%
Neutral
2.84%
Not interested
1.37%
Voters: 950. You may not vote on this poll

Would there be interest in a mod by mod buildup of an LS1 car?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2006, 04:54 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why wouldn't people be interested. It's nice to have the data. There's no disadvantage to it.
Old 03-05-2006, 03:21 PM
TECH Addict

I think it's a great idea, not only to see what mods do what, but also as an install guide (yes I know there are various other sites that show how to install headers, cams, heads, etc etc) but to have it all in one convienient spot would be very helpfull to those who haven't yet installed the above mentioned parts
Old 03-05-2006, 06:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I say you do a before vs. after TB bumpstop mod dyno-comparison
Old 03-06-2006, 11:23 AM
Teching In

Mine is stock with exception of Flowmaster cat-back and Hypertech tuning thing. I'd love to see what can be done if I had some money.
Old 03-07-2006, 01:58 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Phoenix 5.7
go for it, and use the better, but not rediculusly expensive parts. i would like to see a step by step buildup with parts like 90/90, 1 7/8 lts, SD tuned, Dart heads, and a variety of cams, with the goal of paking the most power out of a reasonable street setup. one thing i would really like to see are results of things like CF driveshafts, rims(lighter), and flywheels with respect to dyno results. (reducing the rotating mass and parasitic loss items). also things like suspension upgrades tested individually on drag times, and being that PSJ is very experienced, he should be consistent.
I voted yes to. It never hurts to get other ideas....just because you have already done h/c mods or whatever....doesn't mean they were the BEST upgrades. Just my $.02
Old 03-09-2006, 10:20 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,143 Likes on 743 Posts

I have not forgotten the thread. Am looking at 2-3 cars pretty seriously right now.
Old 03-11-2006, 05:15 PM
On The Tree

Its a great idea. The guys over at www.gnttype.org have 12 sec, 11 sec, 10 sec, etc. build ups which I found very helpful when I drove a GN. It really helps with the "What do you think this combo will do?" type threads which tend to ask the same questions over and over.
Old 03-15-2006, 04:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

....... For Sure..........
Old 03-20-2006, 11:18 AM
TECH Addict

Absom olutely. I am just getting started with a big cube motor and from what i have seen there are quite a few others on this site that are in the process also. Would be a huge help to some of us I believe. My thoughts anyway....
Old 03-24-2006, 07:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Would be nice if the sponcers could donate some things.
Old 03-25-2006, 12:51 PM
Flossin' twin turbos

Originally Posted by daryl2cb@yahoo.com
Would be nice if the sponcers could donate some things.
or at a low low price
Old 03-26-2006, 08:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

How about this idea. Get an LS1 car (A4 or M6). Show people the cheapest and easiest way to go fast. Using your own personal experience, board results or maybe even a poll to decide on which brands to go with. There are just too many f-bodys that have tons of potential but no direction, and we all know that people aren't aware of the search function. This would probably be a real plus to this board. I would say that maybe a stock dyno and a couple of trips to the track for a baseline. Instead of dynoing every mod just giving track results and dynoing on substantial upgrades or whenever tuning is nessecary. That would save some costs on your end. I've seen cars with hardly no mods outrun heads and cam cars that just weren't thought out very well. IMO I think it would be very benificial to see what is possibly given a certain level of modding. Write-ups could include cost, drivability, maintenance, maybe and install guide (to some degree, maybe just a general idea of what to watch out for or problems that you had installing said items). This is a great idea and I'm sure that some of the board sponsors would be more than happy to send you free stuff. So just do it already.

Jon
Old 03-29-2006, 03:31 PM
Teching In

Default Perfect example

Ok I have the perfect test bed.. my 01 Z28. I just clocked over 100k sunday and the only thing i've done to the car is mobil1 5-30. Used wix & delco oil & air filters. Just put my first fuel filter in the car less than 2k miles. Roughly three weeks ago went to 1/4ml and ran 13.6 @ 101 had floor jack and full set of craftsman in rear of car. With those out I never could hook up as good on the crapo street tires. Only mod i've tried was about 3yrs ago, was at track ran 13.6 @103 borrowed a lid and ran roughly same time but 104mph... then gave lid back to friend. A close friend of mine and I have just purchased HPT pro and plan on trying out a few things with our cars... his is a 98 ws6, both of our cars are A4. I'm looking to do some things but I don't want to butcher the car up if at all possible and I really want to keep the car quite not because I don't like loud because I do but it's nice if they don't know what you have .

Just an idea
my .02
Old 03-29-2006, 09:31 PM
11 Second Club

3 pages of talking about doing it....Im ready to see some #'s
Old 04-01-2006, 11:56 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Aegnor
I like the idea. For some of us, it's sort of a living vicariously thing. I love my car, but right now (and for the next 16 or so months) I'm too concerned with paying for the car to be able to pay for mods on it. I have a whole list of things I still want to do (at least $7000 worth of parts + installs + tuning) but since I still owe over $5000 on the car itself, I can't yet do those things. So my vote is yes, so I can get some idea of what will really happen with a step by step build up; power gains, track times, etc.
I'm with this guy. After a year long deployment, I paid off my car early and now have several grand I want to throw into my car. (Hell, I even have enough to buy a beater!) I've already decided what cam I want and I'm already done as far as bolt-ons go. Everything is just sitting around waiting for me to have the time to get it installed. But for folks like us who are on the verge of spending serious cash on mods, a build up like this would be benificial.

As someone else said, work on mods you know everyone is going to do. Do a baseline, then dyno after lid, then after catback, then after LTs, then after a pulley, then after intake, then after cam, etc. Try different brands of each mod. If you have the financial means to do this, and the time and patience required, it could only benifit people.
Old 04-03-2006, 03:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think you should post two polls for every mod...
1st poll is what mod to do
2nd poll is what brand or cam or whatever
Old 04-04-2006, 12:18 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ls1z28chris2
(Hell, I even have enough to buy a beater!)
Buy the beater first!!!
Old 04-04-2006, 02:29 PM
12 Second Club

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Dyno and track some bolt ons. First get some MT steet radials.
Old 04-23-2006, 04:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

M6 might give the best dyno numbers, especially for low rpm differences. For example, a ported throttle body might gain ___ hp at 5500RPM, but does it lose any at 1500RPM (assuming the dyno can test that low). It would be great to see the numbers for all mods across the board. To often, I see dyno charts in the magazines that start at 4000 or even higher. You don't need to be a brain surgeon to realize that a cam change is going to show gains at 6500RPM. But it's nice to see what you are really giving up at 2000RPM in your street car.

Of course some before and after strip times would be a help to, but an A4 lends itself to that better (with traction, of course) for consistancy. If the focus would be more on times at the strip over dyno numbers, I'd say use and auto. But again, to show the low end gains/losses, leave the stock converter in the car until its all done.

Just my opinion...
Old 04-23-2006, 11:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

one thing I`d like to see the dyno result of is a throttle body spacer with the threads that make the air spin a bit ....I would`ve done it if I had an LS1...
on my friends cherokee it made him go ahead of his friend cherokee from the 1st gear rather than the end of second or begining of third so they were compairable no more!

I saw many people talking about the no gain and only whistle and I didn`t feel any diffrence .... the way we do it is have a race with a friend before the mod .... then the same race with the same car... oh and if it`s not an f-body (spins from 0 so it will be from 50 or 80 km/h) then from 0 to at least a 1/2 mile.