Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ported LS6 heads and F11 cam? OR swap cam?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2006, 12:01 AM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Ported LS6 heads and F11 cam? OR swap cam?

BEFORE i get flamed for another 'what cam' thread, I searched for this but found nothing quite this specific...so here goes...

I've got a friend of mine thats hand porting a set of ls6 heads for me. So far the numbers he's been able to attain are pretty comparable to the heads (little higher, due to 2.02/1.60 valves) that Texas Speed has been posting numbers and such about that they're beginning to market.

My question is with a set of heads very similar to the TSPs, what kind of estimated RWHP/E.T. gain could be had by doing a camswap over the F11 that's in the car now?

As it sits, the car has gone 11.89@114 w/ a 1.76 60' and put down 348 RWHP

The car is: 99 stock heads / 228/230 .576/.595 114 / LS6 intake / A4 with a TCI 4400 / stock 10 bolt with 3.73s / on nitto 315 DRs / 3600#s with me in it

I really like the way the car is VERY streetable with this cam the way it sits, for several months I drove it daily..and still could but I've got a beater now so she can stay in the garage when its crappy out.
I love where the car makes power, even though the convertor is very loose its definitely not a slouch down low and has a nice pull through the entire rpm range.
My original idea was to swap out the cam for something larger, say around high 230s on the intake side /low 240s exhaust duration and over .600 lift. However this is an auto car and I don't want to be shifting over 6600 rpm if I can avoid it.
The question that keeps bouncin around in my head is how much power would I see over the F11 to going larger and what kind of ET gains are possible with just swapping the ported heads vs. doing a 'custom grind' for the heads. I really like the idea of 120 mph trap speed and low 11 ETs but I think thats only doable with a different cam.
Old 02-01-2006, 06:35 AM
CBX
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same cam and I have 379 Ft. lbs. of torque at the wheels. Nice powerband and the HP is linear. This is a very streetable cam. I don't know if you'll like the powerband up high just to gain more HP. It never ends.