Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who says a 383 can't make BIG power????

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2006, 10:54 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My friend, Mr. Pusherman, tempting me again.
Seriously, man, that thing is unbelieveable! It sounds great.
Old 02-16-2006, 12:30 PM
On The Tree

You did a great job on all the info !! and I think I have played those videos 50 times lol

How much do you figure you spent ?
Old 02-16-2006, 01:09 PM
Flow Wizard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 1slowcar
...and I think I have played those videos 50 times lol

How much do you figure you spent ?
My buddy has you beat (he is obscessed with the video on the street....LOL)

While it's not a cubic dollar build (actually the short kit was reasonably affordable), hitting all the other details assuming you are trying to mimic the package is what really starts to add up. Howver, you could probably skimp on a few of them, cover the more important aspects of the build, and still see 500+ RWHP out of the same displacement engine. A figure that is still quite stout in anybody's book....at least for a small stroker normally aspirated.

Tony M.
Old 02-16-2006, 02:27 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo @ AFR
My buddy has you beat (he is obscessed with the video on the street....LOL)

While it's not a cubic dollar build (actually the short kit was reasonably affordable), hitting all the other details assuming you are trying to mimic the package is what really starts to add up. Howver, you could probably skimp on a few of them, cover the more important aspects of the build, and still see 500+ RWHP out of the same displacement engine. A figure that is still quite stout in anybody's book....at least for a small stroker normally aspirated.

Tony M.

lol that video is bad *** ! it sounds like the only time it was wide open ws right at the end of 1st then after the 3-4 shift

Yeah I'll prob get the motor and heads from shafiroff and go from there .. I just want a mid 6 sec street car (1/8) mi .. Theres about 5 to 1 1/8mi to 1/4 mi around here

You need to make some more videos teh 383
Old 02-16-2006, 04:29 PM
Restricted User

Tony, I am curious as to the head porting. I put a set of AFR 225's from SLP on my SLP 402 with flat top pistons along with their 24X/24X 596 lift 114 lsa cam and am still waiting for my tuning software (HPTUNERS delayed). The heads are CNC ported out of the box and I slapped them on. Do you massage the heads more than the CNC porting? ie smooth out the runner walls or anything? I hope that I am over 500 to the rear wheels. My compression is supposed to be right at 11:1
Old 02-16-2006, 04:30 PM
Flow Wizard

Originally Posted by 1slowcar
lol that video is bad *** ! it sounds like the only time it was wide open ws right at the end of 1st then after the 3-4 shift
Attempted full throttle at the end of first (as you picked up on), "pedaled" it thru most of second, but I was able to finally stand on it all thru 3rd and 4th.

More video's in the future....Hopefully some good in car vids at the track as well.

If I can be any help in your future power endeavors let me know....

Tony

PS...98Z28, my 225 heads are right out of the box. No need to remove any of the CNC marks....they are extremely fine and don't obstruct flow. In fact, someone a little too overzealous with a flapper wheel could do more harm than good by slightly altering the critical final shape of the port. An efficient port that flows alot of air does so with high velocity, a small move the wrong way can quickly have an adverse effect on flow and ultimately power output.
Old 02-16-2006, 04:33 PM
LS1 Tech Administrator

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by 98Z28CobraKiller
Tony, I am curious as to the head porting. I put a set of AFR 225's from SLP on my SLP 402 with flat top pistons along with their 24X/24X 596 lift 114 lsa cam and am still waiting for my tuning software (HPTUNERS delayed). The heads are CNC ported out of the box and I slapped them on. Do you massage the heads more than the CNC porting? ie smooth out the runner walls or anything? I hope that I am over 500 to the rear wheels. My compression is supposed to be right at 11:1
I think I can speak for Tony on this. His heads are right out of the box AFR 225s with a flat mill to get the compression up to 10.9:1. No additional porting/massaging was done.

2013 Corvette Grand Sport A6 LME forged 416, Greg Good ported TFS 255 LS3 heads, 222/242 .629"/.604" 121LSA Pat G blower cam, ARH 1 7/8" headers, ESC Novi 1500 Supercharger w/8 rib direct drive conversion, 747rwhp/709rwtq on 93 octane, 801rwhp/735rwtq on race fuel, 10.1 @ 147.25mph 1/4 mile, 174.7mph Half Mile.
2016 Corvette Z51 M7 Magnuson Heartbeat 2300 supercharger, TSP LT headers, Pat G tuned, 667rwhp, 662rwtq, 191mph TX Mile.
2009.5 Pontiac G8 GT 6.0L, A6, AFR 230v2 heads. 506rwhp/442rwtq. 11.413 @ 121.29mph 1/4 mile, 168.7mph TX Mile
2000 Pewter Ram Air Trans Am M6 heads/cam 508 rwhp/445 rwtq SAE, 183.092 TX Mile
2022 Cadillac Escalade 6.2L A10 S&B CAI, Corsa catback.
2023 Corvette 3LT Z51 soon to be modified.
Custom LSX tuning in person or via email press here.

Old 02-16-2006, 04:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I too am mesmerized by that street vid

I need my 383 to make BIG power like that!

what did your vette run at the track with the previous 346?
Old 02-18-2006, 11:45 AM
Flow Wizard

Originally Posted by zigroid
....what did your vette run at the track with the previous 346?
My Vette ran 11.20's @ 124 MPH with a moderately aggressive launch technique and 15 lbs. of air in the ET Streets (netting low to mid 1.7 sixty foots which skews the ET higher). Also, I was running full size front tires and rims and have since obtained (built...lol) skinnies for it. I was at the track with the 346 last April after just finishing up the "skinnies project" (I narrowed a pair of Z06 repro rims with the help of a buddy at work) and I had aired the tires down a little more than normal and was hoping to click off a high ten with an aggressive launch and the weight and rotational mass savings of the much smaller front tire and rim package. I was literally coming out of the burn-out box on my first run when a piece of the #7 ringland decided to break free. Needless to say I never made it down the track and unfortunately never had the chance to try and get a ten second time slip with the mild-mannered 346 AFR 205 combo....

The C5 driveline in a high powered stick car (even built up with every upgrade imaginable) is still a risky proposition....you will note in the near future when I report back with some track results from the 383 that the ET will be off versus the MPH (again, due to higher tire pressure and not trying to launch the car close to the rev limiter). That helps to assure Im actually driving home versus catching a lift on a flatbed. You guys with the F-Body's are in far better shape to put up with big power on a regular basis, of course assuming youve upgraded to a 12 bolt, good driveshaft, etc.

My big goal with the 383 is to click off a 130 MPH trap speed....I really don't care too much about the ET but assume it will be somewhere in the 10.70-10.80 range. That trap speed shows a car putting down enough power to run low-mid tens in an optimized set-up for drag racing (proper suspension and the ability to use all of that power getting out of the hole).

Tony M.

Last edited by Tony Mamo @ AFR; 02-18-2006 at 06:08 PM.
Old 03-02-2006, 07:20 PM
Flow Wizard

Default Some track results...

Quick Update...

Took the car to the local track last night (LACR in Palmdale) to try and put down a couple of shake down runs with the new combo....

First off, for those that don't know or are unfamiliar, LACR is the "humbler" of all tracks in the southern CA area due to it's location in the "high desert". Actual elevation is close to 3000 feet and the D/A is typically 4000-5000 feet. With the same previous combination, my car has gone almost 5 tenths quicker and 5 MPH faster at Famoso (Bakersfield) which is much closer to sea level (actual elevation is 600 feet) and is simply a much better track.

I was hoping to break out on a good run (quicker than 11.50's) and had promised myself if I didn't get a good launch I would only run to the eigth mile and get out of it so I could go back again looking for a better launch/60 foot time etc. Seing as the clutch is new, the engine is new, and I had no idea how well the track was prepped yet I decided to try and launch the car around 4-4500 just to kinda feel things out. Well, it turns out the track was prepped abit better than I expected and the car hooked hard bogging the engine....I felt it hooking and wooded the throttle but didn't have enough RPM or momentum built and the car nosed over hard and then took off. As I was rowing the gears for all I was worth I remember briefly thinking I was suppose to get out of it after third gear (knowing my launch was weak) but I must have been on autopilot and grabbed 4th as quickly as I could burying the throttle once again till I crossed the traps....(It is simply a very un-natural act to "lift" when there's nothing but cones, a finish line, and another half a mile of straight asphalt in front of you!)

Surprisingly, even with the not so impressive 1.80 60 foot, the car ran an 11.25 @ 124 and some change!!.....For you guys that haven't had the pleasure of racing at LACR, thats flying, especially considering how much I left under the table with my launch. Wow...can't wait to go again I'm thinking as I cruise down the return road where the tech official is ultimately waiting for me to show up....LOL You can figure out the rest I'm sure. The "bargain" $20 entry fee isn't so attractive when you only get to run once....

Looks like it's time for a rollcage because running eigth mile just isnt as much fun. I still might hit up a better track in the next few weeks (and ultimately get thrown out again), but this time I wont make the same mistake of staying in it unless I feel I really got a good launch. One thing is for sure though....a roll cage and five point harness just got added to the near term plans of this project.

Regards to all,
Tony M.
-----------------------------------------------

PS....Looks like my goals of mid/high tens and close to a 130 trap speed (at a track with decent air) should be attainable. Also, for those questioning the high trap speed versus ET, I purposely don't air the tires under 15 PSI and track conditions permitting, will usually leave around 5000 RPM. I know there is another tenth or two left in my 60 foot by airing down my tires closer to 10 lbs. and leaving with even more RPM, but I prefer to drive home as opposed to getting a lift on the back of a flatbed. Even beefed up with every aftermarket part available, a C5 driveline is still a very dicey situation with high horsepower and a much harder hitting manual transmission. You automatic guys are definately at an advantage there.

Last edited by Tony Mamo @ AFR; 03-02-2006 at 07:36 PM.
Old 03-02-2006, 07:36 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds good Tony. I know you easily have a 130 mph pass and 10s in the car.
Old 03-02-2006, 07:47 PM
10 Second Club

Nice pass! Its definately got some 10 second passes to come.. That sucks that you guys have such strict tech officials.. Keep us updated whenever you go to the track again..
Old 03-02-2006, 09:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Very impressive results from a little 383!
Old 03-27-2006, 11:11 AM
TECH Resident

Its been almost a month, any more track results?
Old 03-27-2006, 02:08 PM
Flow Wizard

Originally Posted by SDC
Its been almost a month, any more track results?
Not since getting bounced out of LACR after that first run. I need to get a cage in the car, but I might give Famoso a try for my one glory run before they kick me out as well. Problem is that track doesn't have many test and tune nights etc. and it's a couple hours away. The track scene in the LA area is kinda weak to be very honest with you.

I need to get to a decent track before it gets stupid hot as well....I will keep you guys posted.

Regards,
Tony

Quick Reply: Who says a 383 can't make BIG power????