Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adapting LS2 cam sensor to fit C5R

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2006, 02:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adapting LS2 cam sensor to fit C5R

Has anyone done it? Any problems along the way? I hope not, because that way I can just go to the dealer and buy the parts.

My C5R block is not drilled for the cam sensor that installs at the rear of the block in a bore that extends from top of the block to just above the cam. There are many little ledges and chamfers along the way that need to be machined and it seems that LS2 timing set cam sensor is an easier more cost effective way to to do it.

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-09-2006, 02:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't see where it would be a problem at all. You'll just have to run a LS-2 chain, which is still way more cost effective. Plus LS2 chains are offered in all the varietys now, so you don't have to run the GM one.
Old 03-02-2006, 12:05 AM
Teching In

Are there any options besides stock and N-motion? I hope to find a double row instead of a single row chain.
Old 03-02-2006, 01:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ShaunSG
Are there any options besides stock and N-motion? I hope to find a double row instead of a single row chain.
Why?
24 Hr Le Mans with single J-WISS does that tell you anything?
Old 03-02-2006, 02:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
Why?
24 Hr Le Mans with single J-WISS does that tell you anything?
and thats considering the 5mil budget that thoes cars have to work with.
Old 03-02-2006, 10:21 AM
Teching In

Because I may turn more RPM and/or go more than 2500 race miles.
Old 03-02-2006, 10:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

C5R and C6R engines red line at 6200 RPM...but I doubt that you will ever abuse your motor that way that the 24 HRS of LeMans cars are...
Old 03-02-2006, 01:39 PM
Teching In

1) Application is a single 12 hour race for sure. Possibly two, including chassis/suspension setup and driver famliarization.
2) Class is non-air-restricted which increases impetus for running higher average engine speeds. Opposite of restrictor venturi/plate engines depending on degree of restriction.
3) We do not have the luxury of separate practice, qualifying, and race engines.

As such the operational requirements will be demanding. First place is not at stake since there are many big players. Nevertheless we want to want strong and efficient.

4) Running an engine perfectly is difficult and costly.
5) Running an engine imperfectly and abusing it to some degree is easy and often done by many.

Seeing as the team will not be spending 100K USD running neither cycle-analysis-calibrated advanced knock algorithms, nor advanced data acquisition, abusing the engine is possible, although we will be aiming to fall on the safe side.

I am aware demanding higher component speeds and accelerations, for longer distances, from an engine, without multiple hundred thousand, or million dollar budgets is unwise. But it might end up not being my choice or my money.