Sponsored by:

Crane Shaft Polymatrix Mount rockers

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2006, 05:28 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crane Shaft Polymatrix Mount rockers

Anyone know the part number for Ls1/Ls6. The polymatrix needleless brg
ones. I think Tony Mamo of AFR has these on his project car??
Old 02-12-2006, 06:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have asked Vinci about these, they are unfortunately not out yet for the LS1 except for a couple of sets that are prototypes from what I understand. Roger Vinci is running a set and Tony is the 2nd set I have heard about. I have been told that near the end of 2006 they will be available. Guess that lets you know how much testing and R&D goes into this stuff.
Old 02-14-2006, 05:45 PM
10 Second Club

yep, not available to the LSx general public, yet. i know of another person 'testing' them as well. and no, it's not me.
Old 02-15-2006, 01:27 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by vettenuts
I have asked Vinci about these, they are unfortunately not out yet for the LS1 except for a couple of sets that are prototypes from what I understand. Roger Vinci is running a set and Tony is the 2nd set I have heard about. I have been told that near the end of 2006 they will be available. Guess that lets you know how much testing and R&D goes into this stuff.
I have talked with Roger Vinci about these alot lately and the last time I talked with him he was saying about another month. What I was told the delay right now was a bearing supplied by a vendor. I surely hope they are planning on releasing the 1.7 ratio version before they complete the testing on the 1.8 ratio version. I sure how you are kidding about the end of 2006 for the release.
Old 02-15-2006, 02:39 PM
Staging Lane

Nice to see all of the interest in our new shaft mounts for the LSx engine family. The delay in the introduction has been the tooling for the new polymer-matrix composite bearings. Well the bearings just came in yesterday and we are completing the paperwork (instructions, packaging, etc) and hope to start shipping in a couple of weeks.

Part #'s are 144809-1 for the 1.7 ratio and 144808-1 for the 1.8 ratios. There will also be rockers available in 1.75, 1.85 and 1.9 ratios. These rockers feature the polymer matrix composite bearings in place of needle bearings. The PMC bearings are pressure oiled via the pushrod and a drilled pushrod seat. They are extremely quiet and extremely strong. The rocker bodies have a very low moment of inertia (partially achieved through the elimination of the steel needle bearings) and can handle open pressures in excess of 850#

These rockers are not direct "bolt-ons", because (in our opinion) it is nearly impossible to get a good rocker geometry with a true shaft mount rocker on the LS1/LS6/LS2 head design without head modifications. To achieve the proper geometry and get an improved "Quick-Lift" performance, it is necessary to mill the rocker arm bosses .170" so that the rocker stands can be placed lower to allow the rockers to operate in the proper arc. This is really no different than machining the rocker bosses on old SBC heads. Additionally, while the heads are being machined, we have supplied 3/8 diameter stand mounting bolts which necessitates drilling and tapping the OE 8mm holes to 3/8-16. This larger bolt diameter assures holding the stands in place even with extremely high valve spring open pressures! In spite of the milling, we were unable to fit these rockers under the stock valve covers and they will require a 3/4" thick spacer. The rockers will not be sold with pushrods but they will come with an adjustable checking pushrod to determine proper pushrod length. My guess is that 7.350-7.400" will be the length that most people will need.

As far as pricing goes, I'm in R&D and the sales people figure the pricing, but it is my guess that the "retail" price of these shaft mounts should be well under $1000.00: however, I have an agreement with the sales people...they stay out of R&D and I stay out of sales!!!!

As soon as I know what the pricing is, I will post it.

Finally, the way I have described the rockers and stands is with a machined and tumbled finish. (both the stands and rockers are a special alloy of aluminum). We will also be offering these rockers and stands with a Mikronite processing that will increase the strength of the rockers and stands by over 25%. This provides additional strength beyond what I have all ready described. Additionally, the Mikronite finish looks superb. It is not a coating, but a sophisticated finishing process that results in a "chrome-like" appearance but which also increases the residual compressive stresses in the outer layer and near surface substrate of the aluminum-vastly increasing strength and longevity.

We feel that these "Quick-Lift" Shaft mounts will be the ultimate rocker arm for the LSx family at a price well below what people currently think is the "ultimate shaft system".

Again, thanks for everyone's interest!

Mark Campbell
VP, R&D,
Crane Cams, Inc.
Old 02-15-2006, 02:53 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the update Mark. I was with Tony Mamo last night and he has definitely sold me on the crane quick lift shaft rockers. If it wasn't for Tony I would probably be running a set of Jesel shaft rockers now.
Old 02-15-2006, 03:06 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the "plug"! I guess I am going to owe Tony a dinner the next time I see him!!! Thanks Tony!!.....Mark
Old 02-15-2006, 03:16 PM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It should also be noted that many folks really like the Cranes for the fact that the geometry on the cranes is extremely good, its consistent, and its superior to other rockers in the same class.

I think this will be a really interesting rocker to look at. I encourage folks to tune in and to pay attention for more details.
Old 02-15-2006, 05:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Campbell
Well the bearings just came in yesterday and we are completing the paperwork (instructions, packaging, etc) and hope to start shipping in a couple of weeks.

Mark Campbell
VP, R&D,
Crane Cams, Inc.

Good news!!! Congrats on the new product.
Old 02-15-2006, 06:13 PM
10 Second Club

the original post i put pictures up of the rockers
https://ls1tech.com/forums/forumdisp...0&daysprune=-1

more info about the shaft rockers on vinci's site
http://www.vincihighperformance.com/...20PAGE%20.HTML

the mikronite process of which i was in on some of the gear swap testing
http://www.vincihighperformance.com/...IN%20PAGE.HTML
Old 02-16-2006, 12:33 AM
Restricted User

Well, glad I held off from buying any rockers. Any idea if the rocker stands on the ETP heads will need to be machined?
Old 02-16-2006, 09:17 AM
Teching In

Does anyone have a part number so that I can keep on top of when they are available?

Thanks, Mickey
Old 02-16-2006, 10:26 AM
Staging Lane

Part #'s are 144809-1 for the 1.7 ratio and 144808-1 for the 1.8 ratios. There will also be rockers available in 1.75, 1.85 and 1.9 ratios. These rockers feature the polymer matrix composite bearings in place of needle bearings. The PMC bearings are pressure oiled via the pushrod and a drilled pushrod seat. They are extremely quiet and extremely strong. The rocker bodies have a very low moment of inertia (partially achieved through the elimination of the steel needle bearings) and can handle open pressures in excess of 850#
Old 02-16-2006, 02:25 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by speedracer5532
Thanks for the update Mark. I was with Tony Mamo last night and he has definitely sold me on the crane quick lift shaft rockers. If it wasn't for Tony I would probably be running a set of Jesel shaft rockers now.
So John, when are you moving up here to build engines for me Let me know how the rockers look...

Quick Reply: Crane Shaft Polymatrix Mount rockers