Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6.0 irong black weight compared to ls1 346?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2006, 12:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You would get an iron block because the LS1 is one of the worst engines ever made by GM. The oil pump is very weak and the aluminum is too weak for high power situations. As the engine heats up the aluminum will warp a lot more than an iron block. Not saying that the LS1 is futile, I like it a lot. I'm just saying an iron block is superior for durability. The extra 100 lbs. isn't much at all.
Hahahahaha! (deep breath) Hahahahahaha! You, sir, have no idea what you are talking about. Gee, I make 576/590 on a STOCK bottom-end and spin it to 6400rpm. Wow, what a pile of crap the LSx is! The pistons will nuke, or you'll spit a head-gasket WAY before you crack a block. If you are going to stuff 20+psi or a 300shot of nitrous on a regular basis, the iron block is the way to go. But to slag the LSx engine as the "worst ever" is an uneducated joke!
Old 02-15-2006, 09:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GuitsBoy
Please reference one verified account of someone splitting an lsx block. Just gimme one. It just dosnt happen, man. The heads will lift way before you split a block!
Well, I didn't exactly split the block but I busted main caps, punched holes in both sides of the block and oil pan and destroyed everything but the heads in my alumimun lsx motor.

Now the 99's like i have had oil pump issues like the 98's and some 2000's, but that issue was resolved in 01. The 99's also came with a weaker rod bolt stock for some reason. This is what caused all of my problems, but not till it had been thouroughly beat on for 4 years with 94k on the odometer. I will concur about the splitting the block. It just doesn't happen with aluminum lsx motors. I have yet to see it. I've seen everything from broken cranks to disentigrated rods, but never a cracked or split block. If put together right these are, and have been praised as being the best small block gm has ever produced since the SBC. They do have their problems, but you have to understand that fuel efficiency and power efficiency is better than the rest.

I think the worst part about the gen III lsx aluminum motors are the fact that if you lose a major part the block is generally trash. Few people get lucky when the motor lets go and actually salvage the block. I know I didn't salvage anything but the heads. Which is why i have an iron block now
Old 02-15-2006, 09:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Taspeed
I think the worst part about the gen III lsx aluminum motors are the fact that if you lose a major part the block is generally trash. Few people get lucky when the motor lets go and actually salvage the block. I know I didn't salvage anything but the heads. Which is why i have an iron block now
But if you bust something hard enough to put a hole in an aluminum block, wont you do the same to an iron block? Perhaps it may not make a window through a cylinder, but wont it score the bore beyond repair?

I think this may be one of those "An ounce of prevention = a pound of cure" times. An aluminum block with APR rod bolts, main studs and katech main caps would be the prevention. The iron block is the cure. While not overly expensive beyond having to buy a second block to replace the blown out lsx, it does impose a weight penalty, which will cost more money in other mods to overcome. Plus it still dosnt guarantee that youll be reusing it again after your rods let go again.
Old 02-15-2006, 09:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this is true, but i have peace of mind Iron is stronger than aluminum, so my chances are better at salvaging the block if it happens again. My point really is that the gen III motors are one of the best motors gm has put out in a long time.