Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aluminum Roller Rockers VS. Stamped Steal

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 08:16 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aluminum Roller Rockers VS. Stamped Steal

Hey all, I didn't find this using the search, so here goes.

I'm looking to put a set of 1.8 rockers on while I throw on exhaust. My father in law (whom I trust when it comes to cars, but is kind of a "why would you want to change it from stock" sortt'a guy) is suggesting against aluminum rollers. Says to go with stamped steal. Says the aluminum rollers can brake.

Now, okay... he has been working on cars in shops he has owned since before I was living... but I see so many people putting on aluminum rollers so my question is as follows:

A set of 1.8 or 1.85 rockers, should I worry about getting aluminum and having them brake? Or should I just go with the stamped steal for dependability? any big diffrences in power between the two?
Old 02-20-2006, 09:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Depends on what you are looking for in the rocker (adjustable or not). The stock pieces are terrific and work very very well. That being said I think SLP makes a stock type set with the higher ratio, i'd go for that if I was you. They can be rebuilt to to avoid any of these possible needle bearing issues too by Nasty N8 I think. Steel will have a longer service life but how long is hard to answer. The aluminum rockers my outlast everything in your combination, hard to say.

I've heard much in the way of aluminum will break yadda yadda yadda and have done much research/talked to many people. I'll just leave it at this. With springs over 250 on the seat, and over 700 open pressure, and .750ish lift, i'm going to be using a set of aluminum jesels on my c5-r headed street strip car. If they work in high rpms endurance applications with similar or more agressive lobes and springs over hundreds of miles at 7000-9500rpm I don't think i'm going to have an issue, nor yourself.