Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I went to cartek today and got some quotes. Need help with pricing info.

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2006, 10:12 PM
6 Second Club Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by redbanditz28
I went there today, and for the most part i liked what i had heard. Seem like they are very professional with everything and they work on a lot of cars at one time. Many 9 second vettes, camaros and GTOs. Anywho, I got some pricing. I personally think its a little too high for the engine components.

Stage 2 heards, includes full porting heads intake, exhaust, and combustion chamber, new custom stainless valves, 2.02 intake, 1.57 exhaust, seals, custom dual springs, spring seats seals, titanium retainers, cleaned and assembles. 2,350.00 .
Stage 2 Cam 399.00
rollmaster roller timing chain 160.00
z06 oil pump. for rollmaster 130.00
cromoly hardened push rods 130.00
30# injectors 250.00
Misc, parts, gaskets, blts, fluids, etc2 45.00
High flow 160 degree thermostat 59.96
ECU Reprogram 550.00
labor to install 1200.00
Kooks stainless steel headers 1 3/4 long tube 864.90
3 in y pipe with igh flow cats 575.00

=6,913.86 in total.

He says this alone would drop me to about the mid 11 second mark.
I mean i trust him completely, but for that money i can get this from speed inc.com

F-Body LS1 Sportsman 348 Close
SPORTSMAN LONG BLOCK INCLUDES:
-Polished& refinished factory LS1 crankshaft
-Billet 6.125” connecting rods
-Diamond Flat top Piston w/2cc reliefs or -8.6cc Boost pistons
-Diamond Pro-select rings
-High performance bearings
-All Gaskets, seals and hardware
-Custom Comp Cams Roller camshaft, Forced Induction or naturally aspirated
-Comp Cams Lifters
-Comp Cams chrome moly pushrods
-Double roller timing chain
-SLP blueprinted oil pump
-ASP SFI approved underdrive pulley
-RGR, MTI, or Patriot GTP stage 2 premium cylinder heads
-Fully balanced/blueprinted/Finish hone w/torque plate, assembled
-Everything Professionally Installed
-Fully Professionally Dynotuned
for 7,500.00

The nice part about the Speed Inc deal is that you can sell your stock shrtblock! Then you have a good durable shortblock that you can grow with.
Old 02-23-2006, 11:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They do good work, but those prices are pretty much retail. Not one component on that list was a good price.

Mark
Old 02-23-2006, 11:46 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Cartek is proven at the track. You want to see expensive try Katech. How much money do you want to spend? What is your main goal? Is this a track car or daily driver that will see the track occasionaly? Stainless headers and Y arent cheap. Your looking at 1100-1400 there alone. My guess is the cartek heads are better than the heads on the speedinc motor, but expensive none the less. I went with TSP/PRC heads and my numbers are in my sig. All heads arent the same and are the key to your power. I'll bet I put down as much power as that 348 n/a with patriot heads on it. The question is how much money do you really have to spend? You also need to include a proper tune in that price. There are plenty of people who think they know how to tune but really dont. 250 is a lot for 30# injectors unless they're flow matched. Cartek has earned the right to charge what they do. If you think its to expensive then look elsewhere. There are plenty of sponsors here who will deal with you. I've had good luck with Texas Speed and Thunder Racing. Talk to Texas Speed before you do anything and see what they can do for you as well as the others. And you dont get squat for money for used sb's or any part really. If I could get 1500 for my sb I'd rip it out in a heartbeat.(I'd take 1000) 500 is the most would be my guess. Cartek was decent on the labor costs.

Last edited by 99blancoSS; 02-23-2006 at 11:58 PM.
Old 02-24-2006, 03:28 AM
Banned

I am not doubting Cartek on their power. They have many proven cars out there. We have come up with a lot of packages and have installed tons of these packages. A lot of our customer's are not geared towards track use. I can tell you that with the 4R package, heavy weight reduction and a th350 that the customer has gone 10.33 e/t int he 1/4 with full bolt-ons and a stock bottom end + rod bolts. Our package will turn-key start, can use full blast a/c and idle with no problem... but like the competitor's packages the 4R does flycut the pistons so nitrous use is not recommended.

If you are looking into doing a turbo or s/c in the future we can set you up for that. The 4R package is great for N/A but I wouldnt mill the heads as much nor use the V 3.1 camshaft for a FI car.

Honestly, best way to figure out your package is to come down to our shop. I'm always glad to b/s with a fellow LSx owner. This way you can see our operation and we can discuss the best package for you.
Old 02-24-2006, 08:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

You have $1500 worth of headers in the Cartek package and no exhaust in the Speed Inc. Package. That, plus the price difference of the packages, is the price of a forged short block. Personally, I would get the package without the shortblock unless you have money to burn right now.

-Geoff
Old 02-24-2006, 11:32 AM
10 Second Club

Go for the Cartek setup, you definatley get what you pay for. They spend so much time putting their head and cam packages together and they know how to tune them just right for max performance. I've had their 2x cam and 3x head and cam package and they just got done with my new setup that puts out 472RWHP and can be daily driven. After going to them and seeing first hand how they treat customers and the quality of the work they do, I'm a Cartek customer for life. You should post a similar thread in corvetteforum.com and see what they say. Anyway good luck with the setup.
Old 02-24-2006, 05:22 PM
Staging Lane

I think cartech is high the price for 243 heads port & polish 2300 crazey!
got good numbers @ track but think ttp can give a good chance to get numbers most of cartech cars are guted no exhaust pipes.Shop looks like it is dirty not cean & neat clutter .I am having ttp do cam & head install soon using dart head .
Old 02-24-2006, 10:12 PM
TECH Resident

Apples and oranges. Cartek quote was for a head/cam/tuning package installed. Speed Inc was for an uninstalled long block. Still needs headers, injectors, installation. Maybe $3k of the Cartek quote was overlap. They would probably sell you a forged bottom end for the $4.5k difference.

The Cartek issue is do you want their hand ported heads or a CNC head? Or a CNC aftermarket head? Cartek's advantage is they will install it and as Julio or Dave would say, their cars deliver at the drag strip.
Old 02-24-2006, 10:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Really go and check out TTP. They have great customer service and are very knowledgable.
Old 02-25-2006, 09:37 AM
Launching!

Go to Cartek and get the quality and performance you pay for. Not to mention less headaches than dealing with the other choice mentioned. Take my word for it as i've dealt with both.
Old 02-26-2006, 09:20 AM
8 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Call EAST SIDE PERFORMANCE. You'll get everything you want.
Old 02-26-2006, 10:49 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by DavidNJ
Apples and oranges. Cartek quote was for a head/cam/tuning package installed. Speed Inc was for an uninstalled long block. Still needs headers, injectors, installation. Maybe $3k of the Cartek quote was overlap. They would probably sell you a forged bottom end for the $4.5k difference.

The Cartek issue is do you want their hand ported heads or a CNC head? Or a CNC aftermarket head? Cartek's advantage is they will install it and as Julio or Dave would say, their cars deliver at the drag strip.
The speed inc package is the opposite of what you are saying it is installed and tuned out the door turn key.
Old 02-26-2006, 12:36 PM
10 Second Club

being a past customer of cartek, i can say their operation is top-notch. they have THE fastest cars on here, or anywhere. an outsider who doesnt have experience with cartek may believe the prices are high, (which they really arent), but if you visited their shop, talked with dave or julio, got a julio tune, DRIVEN A CARTEK CAR, u'd be hooked. they dont come on this site often proclaiming there successes, and they told me face to face, they let the cars do the talking, which they do.

now i dont mean to be taking away from the other sponsers in this thread. it is apparent that they deliver quality and fast setups as well, i just dont have any experience with them, so i dont want to speak out of turn.

good luck in ur decision
Old 03-05-2006, 02:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Cartek costs $. So does performance. You want consistancy and guarenteed power , go cartek. You need a motor, go Speed. You'll be haapy either way. Both are the best at what they do best.
Old 03-19-2006, 07:04 PM
On The Tree

I have carteks stage 2 pack in a 01 zo6. Unbelievebly well done, balanced, incredible torque just bad bad bad to the bone. The original owner had it done with exhaust, clutch etc and paid 9500. RWHP 440 and 400 TQ. My friend has the same package in his zo6 with a 4.10 gear and runs 11.08@128. I love their work.

Quick Reply: I went to cartek today and got some quotes. Need help with pricing info.