Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm F*****

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2006, 10:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On another though could my pushrods be too short? I do have the new ETP 4.8/5.3 heads and they are supposed to have a longer deck. I'm using the Comp 7.4" ones.
Old 02-23-2006, 10:15 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Detroitmuscle
Ok well heres a thought, the install guide doesn't say to line up the dots prior to removing the cam, so does it matter if the cam gear is matched up to the dot on either rotation? It takes two rotations to full turn the piston up or down but does this effect the install?
The cam sensor will find the correct stroke when starting the engine. Please tell me you set cylinder #1 to TDC (top dead center) before lining up the sprockets dot-to-dot?

Last edited by DrkPhx; 02-23-2006 at 10:20 PM.
Old 02-23-2006, 10:17 PM
10 Second Club

On another though could my pushrods be too short? I do have the new ETP 4.8/5.3 heads and they are supposed to have a longer deck. I'm using the Comp 7.4" ones.
If you knew this (and if this accurate)why did you install the incorrect pushrod?
Old 02-23-2006, 10:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

OK well this was my first time ever touching an engine really so I followed the guide exactly and is says nothing about being top dead center so no I didn't. The pushrod thing was brought up on another forum and now I'm realizing all this.
Old 02-23-2006, 10:39 PM
11 Second Club

OK well this was my first time ever touching an engine really so I followed the guide exactly and is says nothing about being top dead center so no I didn't. The pushrod thing was brought up on another forum and now I'm realizing all this.
Don't worry if the crank dot was straight up then the #1 piston was at top dead center.
I still say it backwards coil packs.
Old 02-23-2006, 10:41 PM
11 Second Club

tell ya what. find a guy with 99 and up coils (they all come off together on the coil bracket) and put those on. you won't be able to bolt them down due to the different valve covers but you can plug them in and i bet the car fires right up.
Old 02-23-2006, 10:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well actually I could since I had to change over the valve covers and PCV system for the heads since they aren't the 98s. They are numbered and I did actually flip one side 180 degrees because they were on wrong but no workie. I'm gonna get a pushrod length tool tomorrow and see if they are the wrong size then take it from there.
Old 02-23-2006, 10:49 PM
10 Second Club

Followed what guide? You need to tear it down, set #1 to TDC, align the sprockets, install the correct pushrods and hope there is no engine damage.

BTW - I'm just trying to help you out. Everyone makes mistakes, that's how you learn (God knows I've screwed up before ). Just be patient, pay attention to the details, do alot of research and always ask questions when in doubt.
Old 02-23-2006, 10:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

The install guide on LS1howto.com is what I followed, I really do appreciate all the helpful comments guys this has been quite the learning experience for me.
Old 02-23-2006, 11:15 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm with sux2bu, I bet its coils. When you removed them did you keep them in order? If you didnt then you couldnt put them back in order. I labled all my stuff and had two seperate boxes for right and left side of car as well. Did you have pressure on the rockers when you tightened them? You would know right there really if they just screwed into place without resistance. They wont be too long in this case they'll be short if the deck is that much thicker. I've not heard of people having to go to longer pushrods, shorter yes, but not longer. But who knows. I still say sux is right.
the install guide works fine I used it, had no trouble. cam sproket only goes on one way and you cant screw up the dots unless your just not paying attention. As long as your timing chain was on right I dont see trouble there. Did you replace the timing chain?
Old 02-23-2006, 11:24 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DrkPhx
Followed what guide? You need to tear it down, set #1 to TDC, align the sprockets, install the correct pushrods and hope there is no engine damage.
Not sure what your talking about here. The cam and cam sprocket are keyed. You cant put the cam sprocket on wrong. Thats it, then line up the dot with the crank sproket dot and your done. TDC is worried about when changing out valve springs using rope in the cylinder to support the valve. Telling him to tear it down is incorrect at this point.
Old 02-24-2006, 12:34 AM
Banned

make sure your valves are adjusted correctly...on my old c10 had them off and car would start for like two seconds and backfire and then die...
Old 02-24-2006, 01:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

good luck , hope its something simple
Old 02-24-2006, 03:36 AM
TECH Addict

Your car is acting just like mine did when I had the coil packs on backwards. My first thought when my car ran like crap, was that I was a tooth off, even though everything looked perfectly lined up at the time. I was glad to find out that the only problem was the coil packs. Don't worry about TDC, just line the dots up.
Old 02-24-2006, 04:52 AM
12 Second Club

My '98 did the EXACT same thing. We had the passenger side coil packs wrong. I swapped them around and problem solved!
Old 02-24-2006, 06:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

OK well I know the coil packs are on the right sides becuase I kep them that way when I removed them. I supposed they may be flipped around. They actually have numbers labeling them to which cylinder they should be at, it also has two labels (ex. the first one on the driver side is 1/8 second one on driver side is 3/5) so I pretty much know they are on correctly unless you guys look at your cars and its a unanimous vote that they are wrong. To clear up the confusions, my car has not started yet, it will not fire up. It just cranks the started over and then nothing happens, after a couple of trys it'll backfire and thats it. So how could I easily tell if they were the wrong pushrods?
Old 02-24-2006, 07:56 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

isn't the rule of thumb for hydrolic lifters is you should be able to spin pushrod till the last full turn of the bolt?

if they are to loose, you'll still be able to fire up the car, you'll just have alot of clatter in the valvetrain.

if you've already tried the coil packs, pull the cam out and try it again with it on TDC and the dot straight up. you didn't happen to get a new timing chain or anything to where you had to pull the crank sprocket did you?
Old 02-24-2006, 07:58 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
Not sure what your talking about here. The cam and cam sprocket are keyed. You cant put the cam sprocket on wrong. Thats it, then line up the dot with the crank sproket dot and your done. TDC is worried about when changing out valve springs using rope in the cylinder to support the valve. Telling him to tear it down is incorrect at this point.
but you can put an adjustable crank sprocket on wrong
Old 02-24-2006, 08:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah I got a new LS2 timing chain but its not adjustable so its kinda comming more clear that the cam was installed correectly. Your saying if I need bigger pushrods it would still start? I also didn't pull the sproket.
Old 02-24-2006, 08:51 AM
TECH Addict

As long as the pushrods are not to far off (and i'm sure they are not), then you should be able to fire the car up. Between the lifter pumping up to max and the fact it probly is not that much off or off at all anyway, I would not currently worry about that, other then to take a quick glance at it. The hard part of your project is done (the heads). This part shouldn't take you more then a few hours from start to finish.

Good luck!